1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lifting for load carrying?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by tinytdog, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Oct 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    tinytdog

tinytdog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5
    Dear knowledgable ones,

I am starting a business where I will be carrying (not towing) up to and probably over the 1200 pounds my 06 Double Cab Taco is rated to carry. I purchased it used and the dealer would not complete the TSB because it had 65,000 miles on it. I will not be doing any serious off roading.

My question: Will a lift kit increase my load capacity? Any recommendations for suspension upgrades? Just the rear or front and rear?

I am looking at the OME kit from Toytec. But I'll save my money if I don't have to lift it. I have money to spend, just don't want to waste it. I definitely don't want to pay the dealer $2,600 for the TSB. Wish the previous owner did it!

Thanks

2. Oct 15, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    STLTaco09

STLTaco09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    5100's all around, fronts at 1.75". TSB leaf pack + Toytec TSB AAL
    I think you need more than just a lift kit to upgrade the load carrying capability. The load rating for the trucks has to do with a lot more than just the suspension, like braking, etc.

However if you add a lift kit (i.e. AAL), you might find that the truck sits higher in the rear compared to not adding a lift kit for the same amount of weight. This isn't adding load capacity, just reducing how much it squats.

3. Oct 15, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    As mentioned above, take into account everything when loading your truck. Brakes, bed strength, frame strength, etc.

That said, you can look into Timbren bumpstops or an airbag suspension setup to help keep the back from bottoming out when loaded.

Be safe!

4. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    +1 on the load capacity not being as simple as more height or an AAL. Get a trailer??

5. Oct 15, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    X2. A trailer is the way to go if you're going to be hauling that much weight with regularity.

6. Oct 15, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

I don't...but I do know that lots of weight all the time will sag the rear springs no matter what you do...so if you are going to have alot back there all the time....A trailer will spread the load better.

Products Discussed in

To Top