Notices

lifting for load carrying?

Old 10-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
tinytdog is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
tinytdog's Tacoma Gallery
lifting for load carrying?

Dear knowledgable ones,

I am starting a business where I will be carrying (not towing) up to and probably over the 1200 pounds my 06 Double Cab Taco is rated to carry. I purchased it used and the dealer would not complete the TSB because it had 65,000 miles on it. I will not be doing any serious off roading.

My question: Will a lift kit increase my load capacity? Any recommendations for suspension upgrades? Just the rear or front and rear?

I am looking at the OME kit from Toytec. But I'll save my money if I don't have to lift it. I have money to spend, just don't want to waste it. I definitely don't want to pay the dealer $2,600 for the TSB. Wish the previous owner did it!

Thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
STLTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
I think you need more than just a lift kit to upgrade the load carrying capability. The load rating for the trucks has to do with a lot more than just the suspension, like braking, etc.

However if you add a lift kit (i.e. AAL), you might find that the truck sits higher in the rear compared to not adding a lift kit for the same amount of weight. This isn't adding load capacity, just reducing how much it squats.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
As mentioned above, take into account everything when loading your truck. Brakes, bed strength, frame strength, etc.

That said, you can look into Timbren bumpstops or an airbag suspension setup to help keep the back from bottoming out when loaded.

Be safe!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
+1 on the load capacity not being as simple as more height or an AAL. Get a trailer??
X2. A trailer is the way to go if you're going to be hauling that much weight with regularity.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
X2. A trailer is the way to go if you're going to be hauling that much weight with regularity.

I don't...but I do know that lots of weight all the time will sag the rear springs no matter what you do...so if you are going to have alot back there all the time....A trailer will spread the load better.