Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

U-Bolt size Need Help

Old 10-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
U-Bolt size Need Help

I just purchased 4 u-bolts to install since adding a AAL. I realized after getting home that they are 1/2" whereas the factory U-bolts are 5/8"(correct me if I am wrong). Are these going to be strong enough or should I take them back and get different ones?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Take them back. Get the right size.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
Done! Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksRig View Post
Done! Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Your stock u-bolts should be 1/2". 5/8" on a u-bolt is huge.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #6

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
Your stock u-bolts should be 1/2". 5/8" on a u-bolt is huge.
Like I said, I am not sure on the factory size (9/16"??). They just seem a little bigger than the 1/2" I bought at the store.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Like I said, I am not sure on the factory size (9/16"??). They just seem a little bigger than the 1/2" I bought at the store.
Here is a pic of 1/2" cheapos grade 3 next to my 9/16" grade 8's. Stock should have been closer to 1/2" than 9/16". The 9/16" will fit your plates w/o drilling though. I've sold a couple pairs of 9/16" grade 8's to a couple X guys....
Attached Thumbnails
U-Bolt size Need Help-urdy-pipeandu-boltsbeefed11-02-0-3.jpg  
Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #8

Firefighter:
The ones I bought are 1/2" grade 5. Should I just get beefier ones?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
I would get the same size/grade as the ones that were on there.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
Taco Vending Machine

Quote:
1/2" grade 5 will be great. Just stay away from the cheapos at your local parts store. They're grade 3 China with a torque rating of 30 ft. lbs. Yours should be about 70-90 ft. lbs.These are my 1/2" grade 5 USA steel custom bent at the local spring shop I do a ton of business with. Even the threads aren't cut as deep so there is no play / movement in the nut at all. I highly recommend staying away from lock washers too. They'll deconform, crack, split & break and then your stuff is loose. Paint the threads when you're done so they don't rust and it'll all come apart nice when you need it to. I paint a white stripe on the rear of the nuts so I can *see* that they are tight.
Attached Thumbnails
U-Bolt size Need Help-beefed-blocks-3.-00031.jpg   U-Bolt size Need Help-11-00000.jpg   U-Bolt size Need Help-beefed-kit-pictures-1-00016.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #11

Firefighter:
Thanks dude. I am going to go ahead and install the ones I bought yesterday when my truck is back from getting aligned. Whats the difference between the rounded ones like in your picture vs. the squared ones that come stock?
Old 10-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #12
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
You wouldn't know what diameter the U bolts would be? I tried to flip my ubolts when I got my rear springs but couldn't find the right size u bolt.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
I just went out and measured my U-Bolts. They are exactly .510, so 1/2 is the winning ticket with a 'stock' setup.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #14

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
I just went out and measured my U-Bolts. They are exactly .510, so 1/2 is the winning ticket with a 'stock' setup.
Perfect!