Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Just want to add a little lift & Need some pointers

Old 10-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Speak English..it's America
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 11B
Name: Rick
testedone's Tacoma Gallery
Question Just want to add a little lift & Need some pointers

Not looking for a full 3 inches...

So tell me what things I would need to do if I go this route.

Planned Lift
  • Bilstein 5100 Series both front and rear
  • Toytec AAL on the rear

Do I need to drop the diff?

Will I need UCA's??

Will I need shims on the rear?

Assume I will still need an alignment?

Thanks, I want to keep it as simple as possible... It's 1:00 am and I think I read most suspension threads but want to be sure before I drop the cash..

Thanks

Old 10-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
Kenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant future

Kenny650's Tacoma Gallery
At what setting do you want your 5100's?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny650 View Post
At what setting do you want your 5100's?

I think I would put them at the 1.75 setting...just want a little more room for the tires I just put on, I figure the 5100 up front with the AAL in the rear should give me a decent look and a good ride.. I am told I don't need the Bilsteins in the rear but I figure I might as well do it...
Old 10-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #4

Also since I do not have the rear leaf spring TSB installed, if I went with the AAL that si designed for the TSB (1.5 inches of lift) this might give me the desired lift I want (2 inches or under)??
Old 10-16-2009, 06:09 AM   #7

thanks, I think I will drop the hammer on the TSB Spring set and the 4 Bilsteins...
Old 10-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathollo View Post
You won't need new UCA's. Your OEM ones will be fine. You only need to replace your UCA's when you lift 3+ inches.

And yeah, you're probably going to need an alignment.
Do the Bilsteins in the rear. You won't regret it.

Check out this guy's build.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bui...72s-build.html
Thanks, thats a nice setup he has
Old 10-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
I think if you set them at 1.75" the tsb aal will be great. You will not need new uca's. And you should get an alignment afterwards.

Will I need to do the diff drop?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #10

ok, so here is what i am finally going to go with

1. Bilstein 5100's up front set at 1.75

2. Bilstein's on the rear

3. Toytec AAL (2 inch)

4. Shims for the rear axle (Darrick said it might be wise)

5. Diff Drop kit in case I ever adjust up to 2.5 inches on the front..

Anything I am missing??
Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #11

Is there any advantage to going with the Toytec 5100's with Coliovers? versus using my coils and the 5100's?
Old 10-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by testedone View Post
Is there any advantage to going with the Toytec 5100's with Coliovers? versus using my coils and the 5100's?
If you're talking about the ultimate kit, they'll allow you to lift up to 3.5" (I'd keep it at 3). Plus, they're independently adjustable so you can correct the Tacoma Lean issue. However, at the 3" height, you'll probably want new Upper Control Arms (UCAs) and a diff drop kit.

It does ride better with the Coilovers than with the Bilsteins and the stock coils (mine were set at 2.5 before I added the coilover).
Old 10-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #13

I only plan to run it (Ultimate kit) at 2 inches or so for now, not the 3 inches...

I guess my biggest question I have after reading all the articles is everyone talks about lifting the front, but with a 2 inch AAL in the back why are you going 3 inches up front, is that so it is balanced (Level)?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by testedone View Post
I only plan to run it (Ultimate kit) at 2 inches or so for now, not the 3 inches...

I guess my biggest question I have after reading all the articles is everyone talks about lifting the front, but with a 2 inch AAL in the back why are you going 3 inches up front, is that so it is balanced (Level)?
Generally our trucks are higher in back than in the front. So lifting higher in front levels the truck.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
Generally our trucks are higher in back than in the front. So lifting higher in front levels the truck.
Ok cool...

So if I go with the Toyec Ultimate kit I get the advanyage of a completly adjustable front coil over, for a hefty increase in price, if I only plan to do the 2 inches then I might be better off (financially) with just going with the stock springs and the 5100's up front??
Old 10-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #16
NumbNutts will become famous soon enough

Name: Josh
NumbNutts's Tacoma Gallery
I was kind of in the same boat as you when I was looking at lifting my Taco 2 inches. I had the TSB done and the rear sat about 2.85 inches higher in the rear so I thought about lifting the front to level things out but felt the 2.5 setting on the 5100"s would be to high once TSB settled and I didn't really want to compress stock spring on the billy"s and get a harsh ride. Some say it's not harsh at all but I didn't have the time or money to be experimenting with different set ups. So I had already purchased the 5100"s from DownSouth with intentions of setting them at 1.75 inch but I felt 2 inches would have leveled perfect so I chose to buy the adjustable coil kit from ToyTec to go with my 5100"s so I could level it out to my liking and adjust for the Taco lean and no need for new UCA's. I only wanted to go 2 inch lift cause I am only running 265/75-16 tires an really don't need anything bigger. The ride is really nice with the 5100's and ToyTec coils. Spent a little bit more now and you will save more in the end.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbNutts View Post
I was kind of in the same boat as you when I was looking at lifting my Taco 2 inches. I had the TSB done and the rear sat about 2.85 inches higher in the rear so I thought about lifting the front to level things out but felt the 2.5 setting on the 5100"s would be to high once TSB settled and I didn't really want to compress stock spring on the billy"s and get a harsh ride. Some say it's not harsh at all but I didn't have the time or money to be experimenting with different set ups. So I had already purchased the 5100"s from DownSouth with intentions of setting them at 1.75 inch but I felt 2 inches would have leveled perfect so I chose to buy the adjustable coil kit from ToyTec to go with my 5100"s so I could level it out to my liking and adjust for the Taco lean and no need for new UCA's. I only wanted to go 2 inch lift cause I am only running 265/75-16 tires an really don't need anything bigger. The ride is really nice with the 5100's and ToyTec coils. Spent a little bit more now and you will save more in the end.
Come on man only 17 posts and you gave me the answer I was looking for Thanks!!

My plans sound the same as yours, I am running 265/70/17 tires and want a little more lift 2 inches is fine..

So yeah the adjustablity of the Toytec coil overs will do it..

Did you change out your rear shocks?

I don't have the TSB and plan to install the AAL with the 5100 Coil overs but not sure about changing out the rear shocks, i do virtually no off roading here in IL
Old 10-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #18
NumbNutts will become famous soon enough

Name: Josh
NumbNutts's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I changed out the rears just because the shocks when bought with the front 5100"s are maybe $90 more from DownSouth. They ride a little better than the stock TRD shocks. Like I said in the last post "Spend a little bit more now and you will save more in the end". Don't have any regrets man you'll kick yourself later for it.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #19
Black Rock Taco is on a distinguished road
Army: Nat'l guard medic and supply sgt.
Black Rock Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Toytec 2" AAL's

I recently got Toytec adjustable coilover kit and 2" AAL for non-TSB springs, and 5100's all around. My truck is a new DC LB, had less than 4000 miles when I did the install. I don't know if the new truck springs had an effect, but the 2" AAL's lifted the rear 3". also, the front red coils settled prob 3/4" to 1" over the first 1000 miles or less. I re-adjusted them twice in the first 2 weeks, they're now appearing stable at just a hair under 2 1/2 ". The rear has not settled at all, but I haven't carried much weight yet. the ride is very much improved over stock. Much firmer, but not uncomfortable. No more mushy car ride.

I have not seen mention of either the front settling nor the rear 3" height before. Maybe most are putting the AAL's on saggy older springs? I was surprised at the degree of sag in the front. I suggest driving a good 1000 miles before finalizing the front and getting an alignment. No sense spending money to align just to crank the CO's again.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rock Taco View Post
I suggest driving a good 1000 miles before finalizing the front and getting an alignment. No sense spending money to align just to crank the CO's again.
Good point and thanks for the info, your the exact setup as what I am going to except for the long bed..

Got any pics?

Thanks