help!!! cant get tie rod loose from knuckle

Old 10-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
FIREFIGHTER
fftank76 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: TANK
fftank76's Tacoma Gallery
help!!! cant get tie rod loose from knuckle

ok so i was working on my truck installing my spacer lift today when i ran into a problem after i removed the cotter pin and nut from the tierod i could not get it broke loose from the knuckle am i doing something wrong is there an easy way to do this sorry if there is a thread on this already but i didnt feel like searching through 106 threads
Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
FIREFIGHTER

its on my 07 prerunner in the instructions for the kit it says this
Remove cotter pin from the outer tie rod end on the steering linkage. Using 19mm socket remove the nut. Using a
hammer hit on the side of the cast knuckle to allow the tie rod end to separate from the knuckle. Remove the linkage
from the knuckle. Push linkage forward to make room for installation. Retain factory nut & cotter pin.
and i cant figure out why they wont seperate....i wish i could get a pic up of what i am talking about.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Did you hit it with a hammer like instructed?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
FIREFIGHTER

yes but it did not budge and i didnt want to beet it to much and mess anything up but im not sure weather or not i was hitting in the right place
Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fftank76 View Post
yes but it did not budge and i didnt want to beet it to much and mess anything up but im not sure weather or not i was hitting in the right place
Hit it in a different place.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Or you could always use a puller. This is the correct way to remove a tie rod end. Going cave man with it will usually work, but at the expense of damaged threads.

You can get a full puller set at your local autoparts store (rented) for free. Just leave a deposit and you will get your money back when you return the tools.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
FIREFIGHTER

ok so i know this isnt exact but its close i cant get this peice to come loose any advice
Attached Thumbnails
help!!! cant get tie rod loose from knuckle-20090501-1043-p3qpt-sportsmobile-steering-drag-link-steering-arm-ball-joint-1.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #8

Go rent a puller.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
FIREFIGHTER

thanks for all the input i believe ill rent a puller also do u really need a strut compressor to put a spacer lift on i know these may seem like dumb questions to some but to me they are legitament questions i do not have the knowledge and would rather learn from others..
Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fftank76 View Post
thanks for all the input i believe ill rent a puller also do u really need a strut compressor to put a spacer lift on i know these may seem like dumb questions to some but to me they are legitament questions i do not have the knowledge and would rather learn from others..
Yes. You need a strut compressor. Dont use the cheap ones or you could hurt yourself. Use a wall mounted one, or similar.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdopy3 View Post
Hurt your self with a spring....noooooooo?
There is a rumor that they are under alot of pressure...Not sure if I belive it or not.....
Old 10-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Hit it where your top arrow is.
Exactly--Hit it a few times with a heavy hammer. It'll come loose.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
dalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dalsmthme's Tacoma Gallery
Hitting it where the top arrow is will work, but it usually works better if you have someone pull down on the tie rod as you hit it. Just be careful not to hit the boot. It usually only takes a couple hits if someone is pulling down on the shaft.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #14
I bleed Black and Gold
cheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant future

Name: Adam
cheehab's Tacoma Gallery
I had this problem too and eventually cave-manned it apart with a BFH and a block of wood. It will come apart but it'll make for a pretty shitty and frustrating afternoon!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
FIREFIGHTER

ok so i got it off i didnt use a BFH i just hit it one good hard lick with a 3lb shop hammer and down she fell slo in regards to the strut compressor i got very curious after the first side and thought to myself F!!! it ill try it and found they are not under that much pressure so renting that strut compressor turned out to be a pain in my ass and wallet cause somewhere along the way my reciept i was suppose to show to get my refund disappeared so i am now the proud owner of a strut compressor....lol i will be posting pics of my build very soon i am waiting to pick up my tires wed afternoon!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #16

Does the spacer you are installing mount to the top plate, or inside the coiil? I have a thumb that would disagree with them not being under too much pressure.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #17
sledbert is on a distinguished road

sledbert's Tacoma Gallery
In my past life I was a mechanic, here's what I can offer...
Hit the side of the housing that the rod end goes through. hit it HARD, probably 3 or 4 times. I have used the "proper tool" but prefer this method. The tool also tends to damage the boot. The vertical part that the nut was on is tapered, when you hit the spindle you break the contact free. Partially from the imapct vibration & ever so slightly from the very slight distortion of the inner cone shape. This is reversed when reassembled.
Yes the springs are under EXTREME presure when assembled, you MUST use a good compressor tool, if your spacer is designed to fit on the spring & under to top plate of the assemble. ALWAYS keep your head away from the end of the strut (just in case it slips or lets go when you're working on it)
Unless like Chris mentioned, its a spacer that sits on top of the assembly
hope this helps.