1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New KYB struts with old stock springs!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Drews Tacoma, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Oct 18, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    Drews Tacoma

Drews Tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    99 Gold TRD
    Flowmaster Exhaust, Wheelers/Alcan Leaf Springs, Bilstein 5100's, All Pro Shackles, K&M air filter, braided brakeline extension
    How bad is it to leave the old stock coil springs when replacing my struts? I went with a KYB which feels a lot better than the Rancho which were worn out! I am curious what kind of springs would be comparable since my ride feels sturdier but still leans more so I think I want to replace the front coils! Any suggestions for my 99 Taco?

2. Oct 18, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    It isn't bad at all to leave the old springs with new struts. I would suggest OME if you are looking for a replacement.

3. Nov 7, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    Georgeorge

Georgeorge Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1996 Extra Cab 4x4
    I tired to replace the front Rancho 5000's on my '96 Tacoma 4x4 with KYB Gas-A-Just's today. The lower housing hole is about 1/2 inch below the bracket openings. I worked for over 2 hours trying to stretch the A bracket, compress the shock, and pry the housing into place with no luck. I laid the old Rancho against the new KBY, and from the mounting hole to the sleve that the upper cover sits on the KYB is 1/2" plus longer. I had diffucilities when I put the Rancho's on 10 years ago, but just couldn't get the KYB's today. How did your replacement go?
    Thank you,
    Mike

4. Nov 12, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    Drews Tacoma

Drews Tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    99 Gold TRD
    Flowmaster Exhaust, Wheelers/Alcan Leaf Springs, Bilstein 5100's, All Pro Shackles, K&M air filter, braided brakeline extension
    I apologize for the delayed response, I have a buddy that is a mechanic so he helped me! Hope you were able to solve the problem! Andrew

5. Nov 12, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    Georgeorge

Georgeorge Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1996 Extra Cab 4x4
    Didn't have time this week- dark when I get off work, and truck sitting out side. I think I have the right combination now, and will find out tomorrow. I think if I leave out the cushion below the upper mounting piece the length will be ok. I was trying to use all the parts. I enjoy doing things on the cars, but am glad that I don't have to do it all the time. My respect goes out to mechanics.
    Mike

Products Discussed in

To Top