LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lower ball joints leaking - need advice

Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Lower ball joints leaking - need advice

Hi,

My truck's lower ball joints are leaking. The Toyota technician recommended replacing the LCA. What?

Looking at them myself, I think it's not too bad. I wiped the grease off and I don't see any crack.

I need your opinion and advice:

>Do they look bad that the LCA need replacing?
>Can I remedy them by greasing? How? I don't see grease fittings?
>Can I replace the ball joints only or maybe just the boots? I can't find part Toyota part numbers for either ball joint or boot.
>How will I know that the ball joints are not good now?

Passenger side

Driver side
Attached Thumbnails
Lower ball joints leaking - need advice-dsc04527.jpg   Lower ball joints leaking - need advice-dsc04528.jpg  
Old 10-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You can just have the ball joints replaced, or do it your self. Check out Moog ball joints, as they are just as good as OEM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also, it doesnt look dire. They are seeping, but it doesnt look to horrible
Old 10-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You can just have the ball joints replaced, or do it your self. Check out Moog ball joints, as they are just as good as OEM.
Chris,

Can you give me a link for the write up to do this? It's not in the FSM.

Quote:
Also, it doesnt look dire. They are seeping, but it doesnt look to horrible
I wiped off the grease at one side last week. So far, I am not seeing leak. I think it leaks after every wheeling. Is there a way to replace the lost grease (without removing the boot)?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTacoms View Post
Chris,

Can you give me a link for the write up to do this? It's not in the FSM.

I wiped off the grease at one side last week. So far, I am not seeing leak. I think it leaks after every wheeling. Is there a way to replace the lost grease?
I dont have a write up, but all you have to do is separate the LCA from the spindle, then take the castile nut off, use a puller, and remove the BJ, then replace. I have never tried to re grease them, but a few friends say they have by poking a needle from a syringe filled with grease, and pumped a little grease in that way. I never tried to find out if they were BS'ing me or not....
Old 10-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #6

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I dont have a write up, but all you have to do is separate the LCA from the spindle, then take the castile nut off, use a puller, and remove the BJ, then replace. I have never tried to re grease them, but a few friends say they have by poking a needle from a syringe filled with grease, and pumped a little grease in that way. I never tried to find out if they were BS'ing me or not....
Thanks Chris. I'll go to the dealer tomorrow to find out if Toyota extra care will cover the LCA under warranty. If not, I'll start looking into replacing the ball joints.

Btw, is it safe to drive in this condition? It's a 5-year old truck.

And oh, do you know if can replace just the boots?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks Chris. I'll go to the dealer tomorrow to find out if Toyota extra care will cover the LCA under warranty. If not, I'll start looking into replacing the ball joints.

Btw, is it safe to drive in this condition? It's a 5-year old truck.

And oh, do you know if can replace just the boots?
Yeah, You should be fine driving. Extra care SHOULD replace it. If it doesnt, make them show you in the paper work where it says it doesnt. Never replaced just the boot. Im sure it can be done, but its a good idea to just replace the joint.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #8

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Is it common after lifting the truck or it's just mine (being '05 model bought on 2004)? I can't seem to find a lot of thread on this.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Is it common after lifting the truck or it's just mine (being '05 model bought on 2004)? I can't seem to find a lot of thread on this.
Its not that common. It coulld have been mud in them that made a small hole.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #10

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Extra care will cover them. I will have new LCA then!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Extra care will cover them. I will have new LCA then!
Good to hear!
Old 10-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #12

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Finally, I got the truck back. Service advisor said extra care covered it because he did not mention that it's lifted Anyway, I don't mind it. At least, parts ($706) and labor ($166) were free. I just paid a deductible.

I have a question though. My front was 38" before, but now it's 39". What caused the increase in lift? Will it settle later? How long should I be driving it before I crank the coil-over down?

Thanks/
Old 10-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Finally, I got the truck back. Service advisor said extra care covered it because he did not mention that it's lifted Anyway, I don't mind it. At least, parts ($706) and labor ($166) were free. I just paid a deductible.

I have a question though. My front was 38" before, but now it's 39". What caused the increase in lift? Will it settle later? How long should I be driving it before I crank the coil-over down?

Thanks/
Give it a week and then check it.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #14

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Give it a week and then check it.
I thought so. Thanks Chris.

But, the 39" gives a 3.75" of lift. My caster is 2.8 at one side. I have rubbing at full turn and it's wandering. I might do it in 3 days if I can't stand it.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
What are the symptoms of a lower ball joint going out? If there was a noise, would it be a rattle of sorts? I've taken some pretty rough trails with my 08 prerunner and had a number of hard impacts from jumping. I don't have any rattles driving on the street but when I go over a speed bump or if I'm hitting up a trail without reducing my tire pressure, the front suspension rattles a bit or perhaps knocks. What would you attribute that too?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
Black Beast is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Henry
Black Beast's Tacoma Gallery
Reviving this thread. I have a 2011 4x4 with the same problem as the pictures shown above. I only have 20k miles on it, lifted 3" and running 285s. I hadn't noticed any leak a few days ago, had tires balanced at discount today and took a look underneath and have leak on both sides. I do some light off roading on sand, sometimes a little bumpy. I'd like to take it in to dealership but don't want to get shot down due to lift. Surprised to see no other threads on this problem. What do you guys think?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
Workman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzimm001 View Post
What are the symptoms of a lower ball joint going out? If there was a noise, would it be a rattle of sorts? I've taken some pretty rough trails with my 08 prerunner and had a number of hard impacts from jumping. I don't have any rattles driving on the street but when I go over a speed bump or if I'm hitting up a trail without reducing my tire pressure, the front suspension rattles a bit or perhaps knocks. What would you attribute that too?
Workman would attribute those noises to jumping a factory "prerunner?"
Old 05-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #19
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Leaking boot is not indicative of failing ball joint.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #20
Black Beast is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Henry
Black Beast's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaned the leakage and will monitor.