Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Toytech Ultimate Lift kit for 2003 DC

Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
dibbs is on a distinguished road
Name: Craig
dibbs's Tacoma Gallery
Toytech Ultimate Lift kit for 2003 DC

I've been reading the FAQ's and posts in this forum, and am strongly leaning towards purchasing the Toytech Ultimate kit for my 2003 DC 4x4 in the next couple of days.
I am looking at ease of installation, and for the most part would like to maintain the quality of ride. I need to get this purchased, and since I have limited mechanical skills and patience, will probably have a mechanic friend do the install for me, and I'll assist or get in the way.
I will need to purchase tires as well with winter rapidly approaching, and am looking for clearance in the wheel wells for tires/chains as well as a little additional ground clearance so I can REALLY get stuck when the snow gets deep. I have 2 sets of OEM wheels, one 15" and one 16". I'm leaning towards firestone destination MT tires, as the reviews from tire rack seem good and they look like they should do well in the mud and snow. Toytech currently has the AAL, but not the rear spring replacement set.
I probably missed the answers/recommendations in the search of posts, but if you would kindly give me your recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Also, I tow a 19ft travel trailer (4000lbs) a couple times a year.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!!

What exactly are you looking for? Tire and tire size recommendations?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
dibbs is on a distinguished road
Name: Craig
dibbs's Tacoma Gallery
Specific Questions...

Would a new spring pack be a better ride than the AAL? Anything special I should consider based on occasional trailer towing?

Based on my description and mechanical shortcomings, is this the best route to go for my needs of additional clearance/lift?

Finally what tire size should I look at after the lift is installed. Currently running 245/75 16's in the spring/summer,and in the late fall winter running older Schwab wild country RVT's 235/75/15's because they allow me to run chains on all 4 w/o tearing up the wheel wells. With the 16" tires, chains on the front currently are questionable. Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbs View Post
Would a new spring pack be a better ride than the AAL? Anything special I should consider based on occasional trailer towing?
The AAL will help with the towing sag (if there is any) but MAY make the ride a little stiffer. There is another option I will list below.
Based on my description and mechanical shortcomings, is this the best route to go for my needs of additional clearance/lift?
The OME kit from wheelers offroad is another option. Instead of the AAL you get the entire pack. Which I would recommend the DAKAR for your application. Also the kit comes with everything you need. No last second run to the parts store for u-bolts.
Finally what tire size should I look at after the lift is installed. Currently running 245/75 16's in the spring/summer,and in the late fall winter running older Schwab wild country RVT's 235/75/15's because they allow me to run chains on all 4 w/o tearing up the wheel wells. With the 16" tires, chains on the front currently are questionable. Thanks again.
As for tires, the 265/75 16 (32" tire) is the largest you can run without rubbing, but I am uncertain how that will affect your chain usage. If it is necessary to run chains often then you may want to stick with what works versus trial and error.
Here is the link for wheelers:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ometaco.htm

They are very friendly to deal with and can answer any question you throw at them.

Both kits have many users here and i have yet to hear anything bad about either. I am just throwing another option out there for you.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #5

Marines:
Here is what you are expecting to get into with the install with either kit sans the UCA's. It isn't rocket science so if you have basic wrench turning abilities you should have no problem. And as always there are hundred's of people here willing to help.