Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

lift questions, need help

Old 10-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
the town is back that way
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Freeda Feltcher
GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
lift questions, need help

Ok, So ive been thinking/wanting a lift (3 inchish) since i bought the truck, but really dont want to replace the tires, since they only have 6k on them. Ive worked 130 hours in the past 16 days, so i have some extra cash coming my way and I have a few questions (im not too informed on lifts and such)about my options:

1. Toytec Ultimate lift kit....expensive, but i dont want to have to redo anything, so id rather do it right the first time. Do i have to get UCAs also?

2. Billys all the way around?? AALs

3. any other options????

Im obviously not to informed about them, I have been reading threads about different lifts, but have no clue what do decide. I will be keeping my stock 265/75/16 tires until they wear out, but really dont want to have to do anything else at that point besides upsize to 285s if possible.

Will my truck look goofy with a lift and the 265s on it? an pictures of that may help, but im still up in the air. Basically i guess im wondering what the pros and cons are of each lift "system." Also if anyone has any experience with doing it youself, ease of intallation would be helpfull. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post
Old 10-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
jwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of light

Name: JW
jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
There should be some folks along soon to address your questions..
Old 10-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
i would buy the 5100's and get a total chaos uca, you dont need to buy the uca but it would help with the alignment. that's my .002
Old 10-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
yfz450ak is on a distinguished road
yfz450ak's Tacoma Gallery
Will it look funny,, maybe,,, i have a 2.5 inch strut spacer with 31's and i think i need bigger tires,,,but your better off lifting and sitting on stocks for a while to see how it looks after it settles because you can alwyas come across tires anytime... thats my 2 cents. Im pretty sure someone on here has a picture and will post. good luck
Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
I have 265/75/16's they look good to me
Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfz450ak View Post
Will it look funny,, maybe,,, i have a 2.5 inch strut spacer with 31's and i think i need bigger tires,,,but your better off lifting and sitting on stocks for a while to see how it looks after it settles because you can alwyas come across tires anytime... thats my 2 cents. Im pretty sure someone on here has a picture and will post. good luck

it will look ok, but agree about putting some bigger tires, bfg km2's or all terrain's.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
that looks good but i think he has the stock rugged fails, too small

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsenekos View Post
Old 10-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i have the stock rugged trails now. So is their an advantage to either the ultimate lift kit and the billies? any reason people go one way or the other?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Kiss My IFS
yotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
yotarob2005's Tacoma Gallery
Man, your tires will look fine, just not great, get the 5100's & if you are able to install them yourself (2-3 hr. job) then you are able to remove & set them at different heights. You could set them @1-1/4" or 1-3/4" for now & raise them later when you are ready for tires. The only cost of adjusting them is a couple hours & an alignment.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #11

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
oh yeah, and if i get the 5100 what else would i need to level it out, or what are the settings to do so?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
the toytec ultimate lift is a 5100 that is wrapped in a coilover. save the money and get 5100's.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTaco View Post
oh yeah, and if i get the 5100 what else would i need to level it out, or what are the settings to do so?
do you have any lift in the rear, if not 1.75 should level it out, maybe a slight rake in front with the 2.5. you would need nothing else to level out, all you really need is the front 5100's
Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #14
jwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of light

Name: JW
jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsenekos View Post
Stock UCA's ? Truck looks fantastic.well done!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
yfz450ak is on a distinguished road
yfz450ak's Tacoma Gallery
See i stand corrected Tsenekos truck looks really good,,,
Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #16

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
are the coilovers a stiffer set? anything different. I only ask b/c i really want to get this done right the first time. Ive read about people here going from one lift to another and so forth, id prefer not to do that
Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
s2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Lee
s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
well im kinda in the same spot and have asked the same questions. im a college student and have little to no extra money, but still want to lift my truck. my budget is 500 and ive made that work. with the toytec AAL and the bilstein 5100s. it will go up about 2 inches, have a pretty good ride and still stay with the stock tires will be fine (bought my truck with about 8k mile tires) there are a couple little odd and ends that will need to be purchased with all that but the guys at toytec are more than willing to show you everything needed. the guys at wheelers offroad are also very helpful with questions you may have with their products they carry or just general lifting questions you may have.

hope this helps you out a little man
Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #18
Kiss My IFS
yotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I just have the rear tsb springs & 5100 shocks & my truck is still about 3/8" higher in the rear. Since your truck is an 09, if you are under warranty you should be able to get those springs from the dealer for $0, If not then an aal.

I cant remember what the avalaible setting for the fronts are so someone correct me if I am wrong. I think it is 0, .85", 1.25", 1.75" & 2.5".
Old 10-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #19

GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
appreciate it guys, thanks for the quick responses. keep them coming, im leaning towards the 5100s in the front and maybe an AAL in the rear. would i need to get the 5100 in the rear also? can these be installed myself/at home?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #20
Kiss My IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTaco View Post
appreciate it guys, thanks for the quick responses. keep them coming, im leaning towards the 5100s in the front and maybe an AAL in the rear. would i need to get the 5100 in the rear also? can these be installed myself/at home?
You don't need the rear 5100's, they are just shocks