Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein 5100 vs. OME vs. Pro Comp

Old 10-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Tacoluver will become famous soon enough
Tacoluver's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100 vs. OME vs. Pro Comp

Ok so after a ton of reading both here and Toyota Nation I've narrowed down my lift options to these three. Aside from the obvious reasons such as Bilsteins are adjustable up to 2.5", OME's are an awesome setup, and Pro Comp 3" lift (with coils, AALs, & shocks) is cheap. What really is the difference? What makes OME so awesome? Why is Pro Comp Pro Crap? and how much better are the Bilsteins at dampening than the stock TRD's?
I have enough $ to get the OME setup but I don't want an overkill lift on just my daily driver Prerunner. Eventually I do hope to hit some trails but I don't plan to jump the truck. Basicaly I'd like a nice smooth ride and be able to fit my 33's under the fenders.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Pro Comp doesn't last or perform as well as Billy's or OME. It just boils down to quality, which the Billy's and the OME are on the higher end of the scale where Pro Comp is more in the lower end. You will find the majority here run the Billy set-up. The rest run the OME or combine the two. The Billy and OME combo have a superior ride plus offer greater adjust ability.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
So I can understand Pro Comp being lower quality. But if I went with OME would that be an overkill? How much better, if at all, would the ride be compared to Bilies set at .85 with OME springs?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
sibanez is on a distinguished road
sibanez's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sibanez
The OME setup works well. If you get the Dakar leaf springs, get the matching OME shocks and you'll be happy. I ran that set up on my 2002 Tacoma and loved it. I currently am running Alcans with 5100s on my 2005 and am happy as well, but the Dakars and Alcans are two different types of springs (progressive versus linear). You'll pay more for the Alcans, but you can order exactly what you want and they are made here in America which should be worth something. They are also painted so they are protected from the elements better than the Dakars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoluver View Post
Ok so after a ton of reading both here and Toyota Nation I've narrowed down my lift options to these three. Aside from the obvious reasons such as Bilsteins are adjustable up to 2.5", OME's are an awesome setup, and Pro Comp 3" lift (with coils, AALs, & shocks) is cheap. What really is the difference? What makes OME so awesome? Why is Pro Comp Pro Crap? and how much better are the Bilsteins at dampening than the stock TRD's?
I have enough $ to get the OME setup but I don't want an overkill lift on just my daily driver Prerunner. Eventually I do hope to hit some trails but I don't plan to jump the truck. Basicaly I'd like a nice smooth ride and be able to fit my 33's under the fenders.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
Thanks for the info on rear springs but I already have a 1.5" AAL. So for the rear I was planning on just changing out the shocks. Is this a bad idea?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
No it is not a bad idea at all. Since you have the AAL already, I would take the Bilil's all around route with OME coils up front, but thats me. The members that run this combo report great ride quality and excellent offroad comfort. As Sibanez stated, the OME setup is great too. The main difference is the adjustable fronts on the 5100's.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
fauskar is on a distinguished road
Name: Rick
fauskar's Tacoma Gallery
For $99 (Toytec), Procomp shocks in the rear will work just fine in your application. These nitrogen shocks have longer travel, and will provide better control than stock shocks anyways. At this price they won't brake the bank and they'll serve your needs. Maybe not your "wants"?

If you do get serious about suspension upgrades later, you could change the Procomp shocks out. Suspensions are a system of matching and complimentary components which are always the preferred choice.

There will allways be plenty of people here that will help you spend your money.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #8

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauskar View Post

There will allways be plenty of people here that will help you spend your money.
Haha, ain't that the truth!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
I've read that OME shocks are better in the offroading case because the shocks doesn't get as hot compared to the Bilsteins. OME shocks will continue to be smooth while Bilsteins heat up and have less "dampening" offroad.

I think we're on the same boat here, daily driving vehicles with little to no offroad so maybe Bilsteins and the OME coils would be good enough. Since you already have the AAL, I think all you would need is this and this and this. You should call Downsouth Motorsports to get the TW discount too.

Billys - $290 Bilsteins
$170 + shipping (I believe Neubs is giving discounts for Toytec)

Approximately $460
How does this sound?

Or check out the current group buy

Hope this helps in a way.

I was thinking about going with the same set up with SecretSquirrel because I wanted the 3" lift from the leaf pack, but since I probably won't be going offroad much I don't think the full leaf pack is worth it.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauskar View Post
For $99 (Toytec), Procomp shocks in the rear will work just fine in your application. These nitrogen shocks have longer travel, and will provide better control than stock shocks anyways. At this price they won't brake the bank and they'll serve your needs. Maybe not your "wants"?

If you do get serious about suspension upgrades later, you could change the Procomp shocks out. Suspensions are a system of matching and complimentary components which are always the preferred choice.

This much I figured with the rears but I want a matching setup at each corner. Thanks for the advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post
I've read that OME shocks are better in the offroading case because the shocks doesn't get as hot compared to the Bilsteins. OME shocks will continue to be smooth while Bilsteins heat up and have less "dampening" offroad.

I think we're on the same boat here, daily driving vehicles with little to no offroad so maybe Bilsteins and the OME coils would be good enough. Since you already have the AAL, I think all you would need is this and this and this. You should call Downsouth Motorsports to get the TW discount too.

Billys - $290 Bilsteins
$170 + shipping (I believe Neubs is giving discounts for Toytec)

Approximately $460
How does this sound?

Or check out the current group buy

Hope this helps in a way.

I was thinking about going with the same set up with SecretSquirrel because I wanted the 3" lift from the leaf pack, but since I probably won't be going offroad much I don't think the full leaf pack is worth it.
I was trying to get down to the bottom of why everyone loves 5100's. I was hoping it was more than a bandwagon thing. But it looks like it fits the bill for many on here. So, DownSouth will sell these things even cheaper than $299? Is that $290 shipped? I actually found OME 885's for $153 on wheelersonline. Yea I considered the group buy but I want at least 3" and it looks like 5100's can't be set at 1.75 to acheive this. Thus my interest in OME's with 5100's set at .85. A member just did this last week and claimed 3.35" of lift up front. Only problem for me would be that my 1.5" AAL wouldn't be high enough for the front unless the fronts sagged.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoluver View Post
This much I figured with the rears but I want a matching setup at each corner. Thanks for the advise.

I was trying to get down to the bottom of why everyone loves 5100's. I was hoping it was more than a bandwagon thing. But it looks like it fits the bill for many on here. So, DownSouth will sell these things even cheaper than $299? Is that $290 shipped? I actually found OME 885's for $153 on wheelersonline. Yea I considered the group buy but I want at least 3" and it looks like 5100's can't be set at 1.75 to acheive this. Thus my interest in OME's with 5100's set at .85. A member just did this last week and claimed 3.35" of lift up front. Only problem for me would be that my 1.5" AAL wouldn't be high enough for the front unless the fronts sagged.
LOL. Then I guess we really do think alike. I don't want my Taco to look like a bulldog either that's why I was considering the 3" leaf pack from All Pro or OME (2.75 or 3" I forget) ones from trdparts4u.com.

But isn't our truck's rear end already higher than the front?

Can you link me to the site with AAL you're talking about? I don't think wheelersonline is a site.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #12

Marines:
wheelersoffroad.com is what he is referring to.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
^ that's the one thanks!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
Sounds like it! Our tacos are already 1.5" higher in the back than the front right out of the box. So I added an AAL from 4wheelparts. There's one about 3 miles from my house and they just so happened to have a pair in stock. Not sure if it's 1.5" or 2" but the rep said it's the one sold with 3" lift kits. I think you can purchase the same one here http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72 for $79.99. A leaf pack would be an easier install for sure but also more $. I did the AAL install myself (which was a Pain) and saved some cash. As of now the rear is level with the front (w/my Revtek 3").

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post
LOL. Then I guess we really do think alike. I don't want my Taco to look like a bulldog either that's why I was considering the 3" leaf pack from All Pro or OME (2.75 or 3" I forget) ones from trdparts4u.com.

But isn't our truck's rear end already higher than the front?

Can you link me to the site with AAL you're talking about? I don't think wheelersonline is a site.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
Hunter423
Hunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant future

Name: hunter
Hunter423's Tacoma Gallery
i am looking to upgraded suspension for my 4wd v6 trd offroad with a 6inch lift but i have called every where and searched this site and 4x4grace and cnt find shit im looking for coils and struts upfront and shocks in the rear but i cant find a company besides procomp that sell struts and shocks and coils long enough for a 6inch not even bilstein
anyone have any other suggestions
Old 03-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #16
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Farva
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the process of scraping my pro comp lift and going with spindles, billies all the way around and expo pack....It was an expensive lesson. Although the pro comp lift wasn't bad,,it's rather stiff off road.