Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Opinions: 'ride quality' tsb-aal + tsb vs. 2" aal

Old 10-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
bluevan99 will become famous soon enoughbluevan99 will become famous soon enough
bluevan99's Tacoma Gallery
Question Opinions: 'ride quality' tsb-aal + tsb vs. 2" aal

Jumpin on the group buy and just need to decide on my rear setup so i can order.

Interested in good on-road quality primarily. need "1.5 lift in back after everything settles.
What have people noticed?
Thanks
Old 10-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
bluevan99 will become famous soon enoughbluevan99 will become famous soon enough
Yeah i hear you there is no "right answer" for sure. I had one sales rep tell opinion that you should get more springs in the pack if you can with the tacoma, while another said the extra spring will make the back end ride really stiff unless there is a load. Anybody had a side by side experience? anyone with the tsb and tsb-aal think it's overkill (vs just the single spring aal)?

Nice to see N. Fla represented, i lived there awhile back
Old 10-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
trd sport is on a distinguished road
trd sport's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up my truck yesterday from the dealership and had no problems whatsoever in getting the TSB done. What I can tell you is .GET IT DONE, the ride is like night and day! My truck has no more bounce and sits 1" higher, much smoother ride than before and do not feel the slap in the rear susp as I used to going over bumps. The truck makes a smoother transition over rough roads and this is without a load in the bed. Get it done you will not regret it-- plus it is FREE!
Old 10-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
I appreciate that info. I don't have any problem with getting the tsb, rather i need/want a little more lift than the tsb so it becomes a question of one larger leaf or the tsb and a smaller leaf. Both will end up the same but will they ride similar? ahhh questions questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trd sport View Post
I just picked up my truck yesterday from the dealership and had no problems whatsoever in getting the TSB done. What I can tell you is .GET IT DONE, the ride is like night and day! My truck has no more bounce and sits 1" higher, much smoother ride than before and do not feel the slap in the rear susp as I used to going over bumps. The truck makes a smoother transition over rough roads and this is without a load in the bed. Get it done you will not regret it-- plus it is FREE!
Old 03-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
opportunityisnowhere!
wolfe0zero is just really nicewolfe0zero is just really nicewolfe0zero is just really nicewolfe0zero is just really nicewolfe0zero is just really nice

Name: David
wolfe0zero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevan99 View Post
I appreciate that info. I don't have any problem with getting the tsb, rather i need/want a little more lift than the tsb so it becomes a question of one larger leaf or the tsb and a smaller leaf. Both will end up the same but will they ride similar? ahhh questions questions....
I'm in this same boat, anyone have a side by side comparison since they've released the AAL FOR the TSB vs just a larger AAL? Or should I just throw it all out and get a full leaf pack.
Plan to do 3" level lift and have the TSB done already.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe0zero View Post
I'm in this same boat, anyone have a side by side comparison since they've released the AAL FOR the TSB vs just a larger AAL? Or should I just throw it all out and get a full leaf pack.
Plan to do 3" level lift and have the TSB done already.
Any day of the week and twice Sundays I would recommend getting a whole new leaf pack.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
I've never put an AAL on the Taco but from previous rigs I can tell you it always made it a bit more stiff, not necessarly worse; it's subjective like the others said but it is definitely not softer.

Another option is a block. I usually stay away from blocks but after putting a 1" block on mine there was 0 change in ride from the rear and it doesn't have that 'blocked' look either. So a 1.5" block is an option for you if you like the feel of the rear now and/or don't need increased load capacity.

If you don't need more flex for wheeling or increased load capacity a new leaf pack might just be a waste for you but it will always be the coolest option.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
opportunityisnowhere!
wolfe0zero is just really nicewolfe0zero is just really nicewolfe0zero is just really nicewolfe0zero is just really nicewolfe0zero is just really nice

Name: David
wolfe0zero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
it will always be the coolest option.
Specifically what I was shooting for.

No but seriously, assuming a new leaf pack isn't an option and I didn't want a block, annnnnd I hadn't done the TSB and had it to do over again...
Advantages/Disadvantages to :
Larger leaf vs TSB + smaller leaf is what I was looking for.. more along the lines of if anyone had tried both and noticed a significant difference between the two. I can assume that the leaf+TSB would be a stiffer ride than a larger leaf, but was looking for someone who could say first hand.

But, I guess it really isn't a huge factor cause I'll likely end up going with a full leaf pack, but the price difference between a full leaf pack and a TSB + smaller leaf is significant enough to question it's worth.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #11
twr437 is just really nicetwr437 is just really nicetwr437 is just really nicetwr437 is just really nice

Name: Tim
twr437's Tacoma Gallery
What are you measuring in the rear from hub center to bottom of fender with the 1" block and TSB???