Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Poll: UCA upgrade and ride

View Poll Results: Your 3" Lift (any type) and UCA's: hows your ride?
Stock UCA's - rides great! 6 21.43%
Stock UCA's - not so good a ride, want to upgrade... 5 17.86%
Aftermarket UCA's - rides great! 17 60.71%
Aftermarket UCA's - should have spent $ on something else... 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
timswheelin is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
timswheelin's Tacoma Gallery
Poll: UCA upgrade and ride

Greetings! My first post here. I have been lurking on the forums for a couple of months contemplating a 3 inch lift and other fun goodies, as well as enjoying reading all the great stuff everyone has to share. Iíve decided to go forward with the 3 inch lift. After tons of thread readings I got really confused because so many people seem to think a UCA replacement is necessary if you donít want to have a truck that wanders, loose steering, etÖ

I have spoken with reps from 4 different manufacturers/retailers who make or sell them and they ALL say that itís not necessary to replace them with this lift AND have a vehicle that drives/handles correctly and comfortably (now weíre talking light use here, not bottom-dropping serious OR stuff).

SoÖ why are they NOT trying to sell these when so many people here insist they are highly recommended. Please Post your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks and glad to be posting! Tim
P.S. Totally unscientific and very subjective poll here, but hey, polls are fun right!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
At 3" lift, the alignment is going to be at the max end of the spectrum. For example, Toe may be 0*, but Camber will be close to 1*, and Caster will be below 1*. Sure, your truck will Drive ok. NUT, it will wear tires faster, and be prone to wandering, or bumpsteer. I recomend them, as Being as you spent extra money to buy a Toyota, it would be in the trucks best interest to spend a little more on the suspension and have it be returned back to the geometry in which it was engineered to have.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
it way buy far the best buy for me when i bought my LR uca's. my truck rides so much batter and handles a lot better too. aftermarket uca's all the way!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
maXXXed out mid travel
straycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstraycat241 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: paul
straycat241's Tacoma Gallery
if you want some cheap priced uca's Camburg makes balljoint style ones that will save you $$ vs uniball style and they also corect alignment issues that happen when lifting a truck when i first had my truck i had toytec coilovers on my taco and had them cranked up too high and broke the seal on my ball joints
Old 10-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Your poll should probably state ''stock UCAs, how does it handle'', instead of ride. The effect on ride will be minimal, the handling of the truck at highway speeds is where you will feel a drastic difference.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
timswheelin is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
timswheelin's Tacoma Gallery
Poll Clarification

Thanks for the input. What you've suggested is precisely what i meant so those taking the poll please note that HANDLING is what was meant by RIDE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Your poll should probably state ''stock UCAs, how does it handle'', instead of ride. The effect on ride will be minimal, the handling of the truck at highway speeds is where you will feel a drastic difference.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
spend the xtra,and do it right.sounds like the lrucas r the ones for u.good luck.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldnt know i have never ridden in a truck with aftermarket ucas soooo my stock ones ride great!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:16 AM   #10
09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: security forces
09tacoLI's Tacoma Gallery
I have Total Chaos ucas and over a 100mph alot and my truck is straight as an arrow.