Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Do I need to get new shocks???

Old 10-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Navy: Hospital Corpsman 8404 (HM3)
Name: Gary
Sheepdog's Tacoma Gallery
Do I need to get new shocks???

So here's my situation... I want to lift my truck without having to go buy one of those expensive IFS lift kits. I already have 3" spacers in the front ontop of the coils and it's my understanding that i'm about maxed out for the stock IFS with the 3s. I was thinking about putting on a 2-3" body lift kit and then do a 4" lift in the back. So I will have 5-6" total lift in the front and 6-7" in the rear, so I will sit a little head low I think. Now here's my question: Do I need to replace my stock shocks, if so, what shocks do you guys recomend? Size? (Remember, I'm on a limited budget)

Thank you,
Gary
Old 10-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
T-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T-rev's Tacoma Gallery
Don't do it, just stay with what lift you have.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Well Im sitting head high right now and I put a roll bar in the bed so now it really saggs. Are there cons to putting that kinda lift on?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
body lifts are week and look awfull.

you will gain nothing from doing that. if it were me I would replace with some good shocks and remove the front swaybar, you will get alot better offroad performance.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

if you dont have any lift in the rear you can do the aal and level it back out.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #6

Ok. So you are saying that if I were to lift it more, to stay with the suspention lifts?

And not to argue, buy why would I remove the sway bar? Isn't it there for a reason? What would the advantage be in removing it?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #7

Whats an "aal"?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #8

yes, suspensiop lifts are the way to go, function over form.

there are lots of trucks on here that remove their swaybars to get better wheel travel/articulation.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
Whats an "aal"?
AAL= add a leaf. its an extra leaf spring that you add to get a few extra inches in the rear of the truck. there are around 80 bucks from toytec
Old 10-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #10

Okay. Looks like I'm gonna have to go with one of those expensive IFS lift kits then?

Will removing the sway bar effect the performance in a negative way on the vehicle overall? On the street and just regular daily driving?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #11

Doesn't the suspention get stiffer and the ride less comfortable with the extra leaf?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
Quitting is for Quitters
awymore997 has a spectacular aura aboutawymore997 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Andrew
awymore997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok. So you are saying that if I were to lift it more, to stay with the suspention lifts?

And not to argue, buy why would I remove the sway bar? Isn't it there for a reason? What would the advantage be in removing it?

How much do you plan of taking your truck off road?

The problem with a big IFS lift is that they are what is called a Drop Bracket setup, which lowers the mounting points of your lower control arms, so in the end you really dont gain much ground clerance, just what is provided by bigger tires.

Body lifts do work, but you will end up with a gap between your body and frame that looks really bad, and again you dont gain any performance, just the ability to put bigger tires on.

The swaybar is personal preferance, you will get better off road performance, and you dont lose very much streetability. I have had mine off for over a year with no ill effects. Another option is sway bar disconnets, I have a buddy that is going to start making some for tacomas as soon as we get a few details hammered out and find some trucks to test fit.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay. Looks like I'm gonna have to go with one of those expensive IFS lift kits then?

Will removing the sway bar effect the performance in a negative way on the vehicle overall? On the street and just regular daily driving?
Your only 16 I say keep it on. No offense but only experienced drivers should take it off. It creates body roll. So less control if you ever had to swerve hard. No negative effects though besides that.
Just save for a nice lift.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #14

you dont have to spend a fourtune to lift your truck.
check out
wheelersoffroad
toytec
allprooffroad
downsouthmotorsports

all good companys

toytec has coilovers for about 800 i think.

offroad it will all be gains. on road you will notice a little bit more body roll. on mine its not really noticeable since I added new coilovers
Old 10-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Your only 16 I say keep it on. No offense but only experienced drivers should take it off. It creates body roll. So less control if you ever had to swerve hard. No negative effects though besides that.
Just save for a nice lift.
good call, i didnt see that he was a younger driver.

yes, forget I mentioned that, leave it on.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #16

Great input Andrew. Thanks.

I only take it offroad a couple times a week and when I do, I don't get too radical because this is my daily driver and I cant really afford to replace it.

Is there anyway to lift IFS without lowering those contoll arm mounts?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rev View Post
Don't do it, just stay with what lift you have.
x2
Old 10-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #18

Good point Keller. I'm still a new driver, thats true. I don't want to do any modifications that would effect the controll of the vehicle in day-to-day driving.

No offence taken, you have a great point.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #19
Quitting is for Quitters
awymore997 has a spectacular aura aboutawymore997 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Andrew
awymore997's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, the best bet is either Bilstein 5100's or Aftermarket coilovers, depending on your budget. EDIT: These will not give you any more than the 3" you already have, but will offer a better ride and better performance. Also you may want to look into a set of aftermarket UCA's, they will help with your alignment and offer a little bit more travel without the fear of tearing uo ball joints.

As others have stated, check out Toytec and Downsouth Motorsports, they will have everything you need and contribute a lot to these forums.

And, if you need help installing the lift after you get it, Im sure there is someone in your area on here that would be more than happy to help.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #20

Thanks for all your guys' input. I greatly appreciate it.