Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

UCA question

Old 10-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
UCA question

I just put on my 5100's at 1.75" and may have to get new UCA's so I can get everything aligned. With that said, I really don't have the cash for Total Chaos or Cambrug uniball UCA's. So I found the CAMBURG BALL JOINT UPPER A-ARMS on their website and wondered if anyone had these? They run $399 from them or $379 from Wheelersoffroad.com.

Will these help get my truck back into spec? Will I have a problem if I upgrade to new 265/75 tires?

I really don't need any racing UCA's or anything, because I don't plan on wheeling my truck that hard. But I don't want to have alignment issues either. Someday I will get the long travel suspension kit, but not yet

Here are the specs from Cambrug:
Quote:
Looking to change out your upper control arms without hitting the bank account too hard? Camburg now offers a performance upper arm that utilizes the OEM Toyota ball-joint. It gives many of the same benefits their uniball upper arms offer at a much lower cost. By building an upper arm to re-angle the ball-joint, you’re able to gain more wheel travel and keep the joint in its normal operating range. These arms also correct the suspension geometry by increasing much needed caster which improves handling and allows for a wider range of alignment adjustment. The tubular construction also gives you more tire & shock clearance compared to the stock stamped arm. For more information see the Camburg website www.camburg.com.
Specs:
- Tubular chromoly upper a-arms
- Re-angled ball-joint to increase wheel travel over stock
- Increase in positive caster geometry for better handling
- Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings with thick inner sleeves
- Uses factory ball-joints and hardware
- Includes all necessary hardware
- Stainless steel ABS line clamps
- Powder coated gray finish
Notes:
These arms are designed to be used with stock unmodified spindles or Camburg performance lift spindles in conjunction with an approved 2”-3” lift bolt-in coilover. They were not designed to be used in conjunction with other suspension kits or spacer type kits.
Maximum wheel backspacing = 4.50”
****Disclaimer****
I did read the thread on lift's and everything and noticed it said the Cambrug does not help with alignment, but their website communicates otherwise so I am a bit confused. It sounds like these have gone through a revision of sorts.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
With the Camburg UCA's you mention, you need to either re use your existing Ball joints, or buy new ones. With the LR UCA's, they come with ball joints.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
With the Camburg UCA's you mention, you need to either re use your existing Ball joints, or buy new ones. With the LR UCA's, they come with ball joints.
yes at a substantial cost increase right? ****edit just went back and read that it does help with alignment...

I'm ok with reusing the factory ball join, i think???
Old 10-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
you shouldnt need new uca's if you just lifted it 1.75". are you having that much problems with alignment?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
yes at a substantial cost increase right? I didn't read that LR makes any claim to help fix the alignment...

I'm ok with reusing the factory ball join, i think???
The LR UCA's do fix alignment issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post
you shouldnt need new uca's if you just lifted it 1.75". are you having that much problems with alignment?
His specs are pretty bad right now. Hes taking his truck back to have them fix it, but I agree. 1.75" lift shouldnt affect them not getting it into specs.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
Banned
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The LR UCA's do fix alignment issues.

His specs are pretty bad right now. Hes taking his truck back to have them fix it, but I agree. 1.75" lift shouldnt affect them not getting it into specs.
That's more comforting to hear Chris thank

And I went back and changed what I said, because I re-read the discription on wheelers. (my read kung fu is not so good today )

just so we all know, here are my before and after specs on alignment.

Before
L >>>>>>>>>R
0.9 camber 0.6
1.6 Caster 1.7
0.08 Toe -0.12

After
L >>>>>>>> R
0.9 camber 0.6
1.6 Caster 1.7
0.08 Toe 0.07 <<<<<<<they only changed the Toe????
Old 10-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #8

Take it back and have them make it right, or give your money back.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
who is doing your alignment?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #10

Taylor......Call Shumans Auto clinic and have them do it. Get you money back from Big O.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
Banned
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Taylor......Call Shumans Auto clinic and have them do it. Get you money back from Big O.
I may have to do that, but I'm going to try a different Big O. I called one and the guy sounded really nice and was cool with me bringing it in to him. If they still can't get it right, I'll ask for my money back and go to Shumans. I probably should have done that in the first place, but I don't think they are open Saturdays...

The Camburg UCA still intrigue me...at some point I may go taller on my lift and I will need them at that point.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #12

Quote:
I may have to do that, but I'm going to try a different Big O. I called one and the guy sounded really nice and was cool with me bringing it in to him. If they still can't get it right, I'll ask for my money back and go to Shumans. I probably should have done that in the first place, but I don't think they are open Saturdays...

The Camburg UCA still intrigue me...at some point I may go taller on my lift and I will need them at that point.
Yeah. But they dont do anything the LR UCA's dont. Plus the LR's have more range of adjustment.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
Banned
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
So I took my truck off roading today and man was it a harsh ride...I'm starting to think about getting the OME 885 and setting the Billsteins to stock height for now. And in the futre raise them up some...

Any thoughts on that?
Old 10-31-2009, 06:54 PM   #14

Quote:
So I took my truck off roading today and man was it a harsh ride...I'm starting to think about getting the OME 885 and setting the Billsteins to stock height for now. And in the futre raise them up some...

Any thoughts on that?
What are you set at on the shocks?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #15
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's more comforting to hear Chris thank

And I went back and changed what I said, because I re-read the discription on wheelers. (my read kung fu is not so good today )

just so we all know, here are my before and after specs on alignment.

Before
L >>>>>>>>>R
0.9 camber 0.6
1.6 Caster 1.7
0.08 Toe -0.12

After
L >>>>>>>> R
0.9 camber 0.6
1.6 Caster 1.7
0.08 Toe 0.07 <<<<<<<they only changed the Toe????
Your caster is better than mine when I had 1.75" and no aftermarket UCA. I had less than 1.3 degrees. Firestone said it's max out but it's within specs.

I heard that with a lift, you can't go up to 2 degrees, so I just lived with it. The truck drove fine by the way.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:10 PM   #16
Banned
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what are you set at on the shocks?
1.75"

I'm thinking about putting them at stock hight and getting the OME 885.

How high would that be of a lift in the front.

Keep in mind I have the All pro bumper and skid plate...
Old 10-31-2009, 07:12 PM   #17

Quote:
1.75"
Yeah....the 885's may ride better. Whats the issue with the ride? Too stiff? Not dampened correctly/ not controlled?
Old 10-31-2009, 10:04 PM   #18
Banned
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah....the 885's may ride better. Whats the issue with the ride? Too stiff? Not dampened correctly/ not controlled?
I took it out to 7 springs today and it felt like I was driving over huge bumps every time I got up to speed on the dirt road. Way too stiff and uncomfortable, not like it was before the lift. Almost like I had not spring articulation at all...

That's why I'm thinking the 885 with stock hight bilsteins...maybe a more smooth ride.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:12 PM   #19
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I took it out to 7 springs today and it felt like I was driving over huge bumps every time I got up to speed on the dirt road. Way too stiff and uncomfortable, not like it was before the lift. Almost like I had not spring articulation at all...

That's why I'm thinking the 885 with stock hight bilsteins...maybe a more smooth ride.
You might be better off going with the 886's because of that AP bumper...
Old 10-31-2009, 10:17 PM   #20
Banned
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
You might be better off going with the 886's because of that AP bumper...
That's a good point, but the bumper only weighs about 120Lbs and the truck shed about 50 from the stock bumper. So I really only gained about 70ish Lbs, is that really enough to make the 885 sag?

I'm just worried about the 886's because I've heard they are very stiff and harsh. That's what I'm trying to avoid by possible getting new springs.