Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

billy 5100 front boots

Old 10-30-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
gsanderson is on a distinguished road
gsanderson's Tacoma Gallery
billy 5100 front boots

just Rx my 5100's... front struts do not come with boots...

do you normally add boots to the fronts or run without them...

the rear's do have boot pre-installed

Scott
Old 10-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
They should have come with a harder plastic cover that goes over the shock shaft.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
yep, should have gotten dust covers with them
Old 10-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Yup should look like this.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
5100 rear's seems too long

just went to put on the rear 5100's... I must compress them almost all the way to get them on... the truck is stock height...

once on they have about 2.25" of travel remaining... there is about 3" between the axel bumper and the frame... this seems like trouble...
what is the deal...
Old 10-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
yfz450admirer is on a distinguished road
yfz450admirer's Tacoma Gallery
I had my 5100 shocks installed today and I was running into the same problem, no boots for the front shocks. Where do you buy these boots, Bilstein (how much)? I am kind of understanding this site a little better now...I spoke with a rep. from 4 wheel parts and he stated the boots weren't a necessity. I have always used shock covers on my quad in the past. I just had the shocks installed so I will keep my fingers crossed foreign objects don't get in the shock.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsanderson View Post
just went to put on the rear 5100's... I must compress them almost all the way to get them on... the truck is stock height...

once on they have about 2.25" of travel remaining... there is about 3" between the axel bumper and the frame... this seems like trouble...
what is the deal...
Why did you compress them? Did you lower the rear differential? Did you put the jackstands under the axle or frame? They should not need to be compressed to fit.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookylookitzadam View Post
Why did you compress them? Did you lower the rear differential? Did you put the jackstands under the axle or frame? They should not need to be compressed to fit.
With the truck on the ground, the rear shocks have to be compressed a bit to get them mounted.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
Retrofit Club!

hmmm, i was able to get mine in with the truck on stands without compression. Just lowered the differential and axles.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookylookitzadam View Post
hmmm, i was able to get mine in with the truck on stands without compression. Just lowered the differential and axles.
Its not hard to compress them....No need to jack up the truck either.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
yfz450admirer is on a distinguished road
yfz450admirer's Tacoma Gallery
Any ideas of products that can be used to semi-protect the shock, if you didn't put a dust boot on at installation? I know on quads there are covers that surround the entire coil, shaft, and shock body.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #12
shocks

did not need to jack the truck up...
just climbed under adn took off the current shock.

attached the upper eylet and the lower extends many inches past eh lower eyelet... compressed it to get it on and all I have left in travel is about the 2.24"

Here is what I received:
I have:
BE5-D559-TO and D560

D559 is for L rear so I went to put it on drivers side rear...
D560 is for R rear... did not get that far...

I compared the two and the D560 actually seems a little longer...