Notices

Just added 5100s and AALs

Old 10-31-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Dane-Taco is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Name: Justus
Dane-Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Just added 5100s and AALs

I just added 5100s (raised to 2.5"), 2" AALs and shocks. I got a total of 3" lift in the front and 2.2" in the rear. (Will add before and after pictures tomorrow) With that said, how important is a diff drop? Should I do this or is that for a larger lift? ...Also, is there a certain way to make the boots on the shocks look good? I have the zip ties on there and it seems to bind the boot where it is sinched down and doesn't make it look symetrical? Any tips?

Thank you
Old 11-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Did you use the stock front springs?
I will be doing the 2" AAL 5100 bilsteins and eibach front springs next week and kind of wondering how much to raise the front with the 1.6" spring lift to match the rear.
I will do the rear first to try and estimate how much to level it.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
i would get a diff drop for 2.5" or higher. as for the shock, not so sure how to make it look better
Old 11-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post
i would get a diff drop for 2.5" or higher. as for the shock, not so sure how to make it look better
Wait on the diff drop. Only use one if you have front end vibes. In many cases, they cause vibes, and its hard to chase them down.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Wait on the diff drop. Only use one if you have front end vibes. In many cases, they cause vibes, and its hard to chase them down.
doesn't the diff drop also help your cv boot/joint angles too?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
doesn't the diff drop also help your cv boot/joint angles too?
Not much. A 1" diff drop only lowers the front of the diff, eaquling 1/2" drop at the axel. 1/2" spread over the length of the front driveshaft is only about 1 or 2*. Not worth the 1" front drop. In many cases, it causes vibes.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Not much. A 1" diff drop only lowers the front of the diff, eaquling 1/2" drop at the axel. 1/2" spread over the length of the front driveshaft is only about 1 or 2*. Not worth the 1" front drop. In many cases, it causes vibes.
you are correct at it sometimes causing vibes. but ive seen them and heard of them being used to help the cv boot and joint angle. but since you used numbers and technical terms, you win
Old 11-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
you are correct at it sometimes causing vibes. but ive seen them and heard of them being used to help the cv boot and joint angle. but since you used numbers and technical terms, you win
LOL...Not trying to "win"...just trying to give accurate info.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #9

Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Did you use the stock front springs?
I will be doing the 2" AAL 5100 bilsteins and eibach front springs next week and kind of wondering how much to raise the front with the 1.6" spring lift to match the rear.
I will do the rear first to try and estimate how much to level it.
Yes, used the stock coil with the bilstein.

...Will keep an eye on the front end, thanks for the info
Old 11-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
outnback will become famous soon enoughoutnback will become famous soon enough

outnback's Tacoma Gallery
Wheres a good place to get the 5100's?
Old 11-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #11
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by outnback View Post
Wheres a good place to get the 5100's?
That would be www.downsouthmotorsports.com do a search on here tons of info!! good Luck!!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
That would be www.downsouthmotorsports.com do a search on here tons of info!! good Luck!!
Go with them over everyone else there price cant be beat and you will have them in 2 days. Thats where I bought mine and they are going on tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #14

Coast Guard:
Here are the before and after pictures. Slightly different aspects, sorry. Extremely pleased with the way it looks, just hoping the ride is still nice!!
Attached Thumbnails
Just added 5100s and AALs-driver-before.jpg   Just added 5100s and AALs-driver-after.jpg  
Old 11-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #15
outnback will become famous soon enoughoutnback will become famous soon enough

outnback's Tacoma Gallery
After you drive it, an update on ride quality would be appreciated. I am leaning toward this type of lift also. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #16
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
x2 It's where I will be getting mine

BTW the truck looks good dane
Old 11-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #17

Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by outnback View Post
After you drive it, an update on ride quality would be appreciated. I am leaning toward this type of lift also. Thanks.
Will do
Old 11-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #18
RI06TACO has a spectacular aura aboutRI06TACO has a spectacular aura aboutRI06TACO has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: I drive boats and save people.
Name: Jeff
RI06TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, doing the same this week, except I got the dealership to do the TSB on the back. What are the 5100's set at? and any updates or change in ride quality?

*BM1 at Sta Castle Hill..you?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #19

Coast Guard:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI06TACO View Post
Looks good, doing the same this week, except I got the dealership to do the TSB on the back. What are the 5100's set at? and any updates or change in ride quality?

*BM1 at Sta Castle Hill..you?
IT1, Tracen Petaluma, Was previously stationed with Milne and Martin.

Wish i could have put on the TSB. That was for 2008 and below, I believe. The 5100s are set to 2.5, today was first day driving distance and it is a noticeable stiffer ride (obviously), but overall very pleased with ride quality. This is subject to opinion, but rides nothing like a buddy's Jeep with 3". Couldn't ride in it with a drink without a lid!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #20
RI06TACO has a spectacular aura aboutRI06TACO has a spectacular aura aboutRI06TACO has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: I drive boats and save people.
Name: Jeff
RI06TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Oh nice, I see Milne all the time..I am on the fence about setting my billys at 1.75 or 2.5..would def like the higher lift but don't want any problems (vibes,alignment, etc.)..also not sure how high the rear will be with the TSB..