Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Best Under $200 Solution to Sway and Bounce

Old 11-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Best Under $200 Solution to Sway and Bounce

Just got my frame replaced by Toyota, and even brand new my factory springs SUCK. I've got a fiberglass topper on it, probably about 200 to 300 lbs. On the highway the truck sways side to side when I change lanes, and bounces front to back when I stop & start. My budgets only about $200 max, I know a full leaf pack replacement is the best answer but that's beyond what I can afford for at least the next year, maybe even 2. Knowing that, what do y'all think the next best solution is. These are what I've considered:

1) the cheap $30 helper spring mod listed in another part of this forum

2) an add a leaf, not looking to lift but maybe a 1.5 inch one, or something like the 3 leaf section from Wheelers

3) new, stiffer shocks (?) - I've got HD Bilsteins on now that are about 3-4 years old

4) Open to suggestions.........
Old 11-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
seareef will become famous soon enough

Name: Ron
seareef's Tacoma Gallery
Timberland kit should do the job nice under 200
Old 11-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I don't know that one, tried looking for it but kept getting the boots. Links??
Old 11-03-2009, 05:59 AM   #4

Would adding a rear sway bar help with my situation? I'm starting to think the only good solution would be to just save my money and wait till I can afford a full leaf pack, these other solutions are looking a bit hit or miss. Nobody have any other suggestions???
Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 AM   #5

That makes a lot more sense, thanks for that link. Looking and reading about the Timbrens, it seems like they are more for hauling heavy loads. My biggest problem that I want to fix is the truck tilting side to side when changing lanes. I know its a truck, not a sports car, but I want a little more stability than I have right now.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
I kinda figured that was your issue. You didn't have this issue prior to the frame replacement?

Make sure they reinstalled the sway bar.
I have intimate knowledge of that issue.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #7

I didn't even think to look under the front and see if they put it back. I'll check that when I get home from work today. I was just looking at this:

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-19045.html

Seems like it might be a good solution, but dont' really know about how long they will last.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #8

My front sway bar is on and installed correctly, so now I'm thinking I'm going to go with new shocks and see if that helps, then I'll possibly get the single AAL from wheelers. I tried calling Wheelers offroad but couldn't get through, but the Bilstein 5100's they sell will work for a stock ride height, right? Or do I need to add the AAL at the same time?