Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Leveling Driver Side

Old 11-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Speak English..it's America
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 11B
Name: Rick
testedone's Tacoma Gallery
Leveling Driver Side

2010 DC

Toytec Coil Overs

Right now they are set the same. I plan to go to the alignment shop in the morn so want to do this right once...

If I raise the driver Coil Over by 1/4 inch that equates to 1/2 inch of lift...correct?

Is this all I should do to level the driver side. I know I can measure and will but deciding when to measure (1/2 tank of gas, full tank, empty..etc.) gets a little "out there"

What do you all think is the best way..

Thanks
Old 11-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
trailmaster308 is on a distinguished road

trailmaster308's Tacoma Gallery
hard to say. i ended up calling toytec and asking them for assistance. the best advice i can give you is to do it on the truck with it jacked up on stands and the tire removed.

i tried doing it myself with no luck at first. even bent the wrench. called toytec and the guy laughed and said spray the threads with Wd40 and let it sit for about 30 min.

went back out there and sure enough i was able to easily crank away. i ended up playing around with it a few times. about 1/4 inch i would say.

let it settle for a while like this before getting alignment. make sure you have it where you want it.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

my question is not along the lines of how..but how much?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by testedone View Post
Every 1/4" adjustment, translates to 1/2" at the tire.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Every 1/4" adjustment, translates to 1/2" at the tire.

Thanks, just wanted to be sure, I am going to raise it 1/4 (= 1/2) then measure from bottom of fender well to center of wheel hub or from cab to ground?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks, just wanted to be sure, I am going to raise it 1/4 (= 1/2) then measure from bottom of fender well to center of wheel hub or from cab to ground?
Fender to center of hub should be more accurate. Adjust it, then go for a quick drive, then check it.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Fender to center of hub should be more accurate. Adjust it, then go for a quick drive, then check it.

Tanks
Old 11-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Tanks
Old 11-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
trailmaster308 is on a distinguished road

trailmaster308's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ya i realize that. just offering the easiest way i found to do that. reason being is that it took me three tries before i got it just right.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
How the hell do people get this lean thing?

I did the lift on mine with the 5100 and there were no problems of a lean...
OEM springs have a heavier rate on the driver side. Other springs dont. Therefore, a lean can happen.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #12
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OEM springs have a heavier rate on the driver side. Other springs dont. Therefore, a lean can happen.
I got you, so are the OEM springs stiffer on the driver side to compensate for the driver?
Old 11-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #13

Quote:
I got you, so are the OEM springs stiffer on the driver side to compensate for the driver?
A little bit. To compensate for the fuel tank, battery, and other heavy things on that side.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A little bit. To compensate for the fuel tank, battery, and other heavy things on that side.
I see, so what would one do to compensate for the same things when moving to aftermarket springs? Add a spacer or shim to the driver side.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #15

Quote:
I see, so what would one do to compensate for the same things when moving to aftermarket springs? Add a spacer or shim to the driver side.
Correct.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #17

Quote:
See I'm learning...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post
ya i realize that. just offering the easiest way i found to do that. reason being is that it took me three tries before i got it just right.

understood, I am on my third try also..

Well I got it done, the thing I did not do before was drive it after adjustment...

So I did that three times tonight, the driver side is 1/8 higher then the passenger and I have less then a 1/4 tank so I left it at that.. I had crank this up about 1/2 inch to achieve this (1/2 = 1 inch lift)

The funny thing is it still looks like it has a small lean from the rear which I would suspect is because the rear springs are also leaning...but no way to compensate for that...

But it's done and I get it aligned tomorrow..