Notices

Advice on 3" Lift

Old 11-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
striker1021 is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Ryan
striker1021's Tacoma Gallery
Advice on 3" Lift

Hey TW, I was wondering if some people could help me out with a 3" I am wanting to get for my tacoma. First off, I have an 09 Tacoma Base Package 4x4 that is fairly new. I want to put a 3" lift on it and was looking at a toytec kit. I have a couple questions with it. First, is this all I need to get in order to get the successful lift for the tacoma? I heard I have to buy some other things (bolts) for the wheels so they aren't tilted in as well as some other items to get the lift I want (3"). The kit I am looking with comes with:

FRONT: (2) OME 884 standard/light load front lift coil spring
Also includes ToyTec Top plate spacers for a full 3" front lift & (6) top plate studs
REAR: (2) 2" lift ToyTec Add-a-leafs by Alcan spring (a long add-a-leaf for the best ride), w/OEM style anti-friction Pads, & new leaf spring center pins

Is this all I need to get, or do I need to get something else, or should I go with another package? Would I need to get new shocks for this? I am pretty new at all of this so any advice would be great! Thanks TW!
Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
EDIT: Get the 885 springs for the extra weight of the Double Cab.
Correct. And get new shocks. Either OME N140S, or Bilstien 5100's. The OEM shocks are not up to the dampening demands of the OME springs.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
You would need to buy new hub centric rings if you are going to use After Market wheels, other than that what chris4x4 said you will be fine.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #5

Air Force:
Hey, thanks for the quick responses! So if I went with the 885 coils, I would just need to buy the OME N140S shocks for the front (only 2) right? And could I go with the front adj bilstein shocks instead of the OME shocks ($100 difference) or would it matter a lot? Also, with getting the new shocks can I still use coils or would I need to get Coil Over instead? And I think I will be keeping my stock wheels and just painting them black and buy new tires
Old 11-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker1021 View Post
Hey, thanks for the quick responses! So if I went with the 885 coils, I would just need to buy the OME N140S shocks for the front (only 2) right? And could I go with the front adj bilstein shocks instead of the OME shocks ($100 difference) or would it matter a lot? Also, with getting the new shocks can I still use coils or would I need to get Coil Over instead? And I think I will be keeping my stock wheels and just painting them black and buy new tires
The OME shocks will give the best ride. Also, you should get 1 "trim packer" for the driver side, to help with the extra weight from the battery, fuel tank, etc. Also, being as your lifting the rear, consider getting new shocks for the back. The OME N182's ride a little softer than the Bilstien 5100's, but they are both a quality shock.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #7

Air Force:
Hey, again thank you for the information. I am thinking about going with this kit now:
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
I would get the 885 coils and the spacers for the front to get the complete 3". Will I need to buy ANYTHING else to make sure the lift works (like other parts for the truck because some parts arent long enough) or will this do it for the lift? Is this a hard kit to self install?
Old 11-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
You might want to get some new u-bolts for when you install your AAL.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
geolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of light

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey, again thank you for the information. I am thinking about going with this kit now:
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
I would get the 885 coils and the spacers for the front to get the complete 3". Will I need to buy ANYTHING else to make sure the lift works (like other parts for the truck because some parts arent long enough) or will this do it for the lift? Is this a hard kit to self install?
You got some good advice from the folks here.
I am going to add my 2 cents....
What I do not see mentioned in the thread are after market Upper Control Arms to obtain alignment specs after the lift is installed. Read up on UCA's.
I have OME 885 Springs seated on the zero setting of the 5100's. My Tires are BFG 265/70 R17. The front fenders sit at 37" above ground.

The alignment I wanted was 0 Toe, 0 Camber and +2.3 deg Caster. Read up on alinment. You will need one after the lift is installed
The stock UCA's did not allow the Camber/Caster settings. The truck traveled OK on Highway but I was concerned about tire wear issues.
I installed Light Racing UCA's and got the alignment right on.

Some folks say they can adequately meet the alignment specs using the stock UCA's on a 3" lift. You may want to try the lift with the Stock UCA's and see how it goes. Just be aware that UCA's may be required depending on how fine tuned you want your alignment.
As far as self install, there are threads that step through that process also.
Pesonally, I had it all done at a tire/suspension shop

Keep up the good work!
from the outback....
Old 11-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
X2 on the UCA's. I also purchased the LR UCAs when I got my OME lift from toytec.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #11

Air Force:
Thanks Nick and Geo! I don't have the money for the ucas but don't want to screw up the lift. Would the ome suspension lift kit with the 885 coils and shocks be enough to get the 3 inch lift and be okay?
Old 11-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #12

Firefighter:
Yes it would. Thats the set-up I am running.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
geolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of light

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks Nick and Geo! I don't have the money for the ucas but don't want to screw up the lift. Would the ome suspension lift kit with the 885 coils and shocks be enough to get the 3 inch lift and be okay?
Okay is a relative term....
I do not have that specific lift.
Suggest you search for threads that discuss that specific kit.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new...-function.html

Call ToyTec, tell them any concerns you have and get their input.
There is also a ToyTec Group Buy going on right now. Read through that.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/toy...1-17-09-a.html

Take you time, read up, get educated, make your decision.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #14

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksRig View Post
Yes it would. Thats the set-up I am running.
Guess Nick has your answer!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #15

Firefighter:
But remember you have to get the spacer with the OME set-up to get a full 3".