Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Jacks & Stands For Lift Install

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2009, 05:56 AM   #1
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Jacks & Stands For Lift Install

I read some posts about people's difficulties installing lift kits with the rear not being jacked up high enough. I went to Sears yesterday and bought this GM SUV jack that will lift up to 21"

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...061224x0000002

I also picked up these jack stands that will reach up to 21"

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rd=jack+stands

I have a smaller hydraulic jack that will reach 15" and jackstands that will go up to 17".

Will the 21" stands be tall enough to hold the truck up at the frame and give me enough room to drop the rear axle for the AAL install? If not, is it SAFE to place a block of wood under the jackstand? And one last question...since I have a second set of jackstands, what would be the best way to set them up as a failsafe? I plan to park the truck with the front tires against a curb as a chock.

-Thanks!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
don't know the answer to the height of your jack, i have a 22 lift jack from kragen and it does the job just fine. but don't put wood under the jack stands, you will be working under your truck and you want as stable as you can get it.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I can't remember the size of ours....but the Harbor Freight jack stands are well worth the money. We have two sets. Reach up to 24" and cost only $37 a pair.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38847

I'd be careful about purchasing hydraulic jacks from Harbor Freight. We bought a rather light-duty small one and it failed.

We have a Craftsman hydraulic jack. It's been a work horse for atleast 10 years or more (bigger than the one you have pictured).
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Where the best place to put the stands under the truck? Front and rear.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
frame and rear axle
Old 11-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Jackstands under the frame. Jack under the rear. You can strap the axle to something so it won't slide around as well.

Don't work on your truck by yourself & don't stick body parts under a suspended load and you will be fine. I guess a second set of stands wouldn't hurt.
Ok cool. The reason I was asking is I am gonna tackle the task of painting my rims today. Thanks for the response.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Jackstands under the frame. Jack under the rear. You can strap the axle to something so it won't slide around as well.

Don't work on your truck by yourself & don't stick body parts under a suspended load and you will be fine. I guess a second set of stands wouldn't hurt.
That's pretty much what I did, except for the 'don't work by yourself' part. As an extra bit of safety I had a 3rd stand set lower and under the side of the axle I was working on just to make sure it didn't drop too low and pull a brake line or something.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Quick masking tip for rims - use cards instead of tape and just jamb them under the rims

Products Discussed in this Thread