Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Toytech Coilover Question

Old 11-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Toytech Coilover Question

I installed my Toytech Coilovers a couple of weeks ago, and they have settled a fair amount so I want to go back in and crank up the preload a bit. I'm curious how much distance I can put under the adjustment collar, as my instructions were WAY off. I think I'm currently at 1.75" under the passenger side, but I'll have to check to confirm that. When I adjusted them per the instructions, the truck was approximately at stock height.

I just put on my 285 BFGoodrich A/Ts and I have some considerable rubbing when the truck is in reverse. I had 285 M/Ts on before with my 2.5" spacer lift with no rubbing, so I know I need to raise the truck more... just not sure how far is okay on the adjustment collar.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
I have the same coil overs and If I remember right the max lift amount with the coil overs is 3" from stock height.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
I believe it's actually 3.5", which is great... except for the fact that I don't have a measurement for stock and I forgot to take any measurements of my front end with the 2.5" spacer. Bonehead move, I know.

If you have an opportunity, could you get a measurement of your CO and get back to me?

The picture below shows where I am taking the measurement. This picture is much less than I have now; I believe I have 1.75" at this point.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a reply I just got back from Toytec. Super helpful information for those with the coilover kit (not assembled!)

I think you may have the wrong instructions. If you have the kit with 5100s and your stock top plates you need to add almost an inch because of the thickness of our billet stock top mount. You do not have that part so the coil has to sit higher up on the shock. A rough estimate for 3" lift with that setup would be somewhere between 2 1/2" and 3" thread under the adjusting nut.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just a heads up, I measured when I got home from work and I had 2.25" on the passenger side and 2.5" on the driver's side. I am most likely going all the way to 2.75" on the passenger side and 3" on the drivers.

Kinda answered my own question, I know, but perhaps it will be useful for someone in the future.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to pick up on this so late...
But if you order the 'unassembled coilover kit with 5100's' they dont come with the Toytec top plate? and you have to reuse the stock top plate?

Does this effect the max height adjustment? i.e. the pre assembled coilovers can ultimately lift .5" (or whatever) higher than the un assembled?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:47 AM   #7
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Sorry to pick up on this so late...
But if you order the 'unassembled coilover kit with 5100's' they dont come with the Toytec top plate? and you have to reuse the stock top plate?

Does this effect the max height adjustment? i.e. the pre assembled coilovers can ultimately lift .5" (or whatever) higher than the un assembled?

Thanks.
Re-use the top plate..Yes,
You can still get the full 3" of lift.You'll just have more thread showing.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:50 AM   #8
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
Re-use the top plate..Yes,
You can still get the full 3" of lift.You'll just have more thread showing.

On top of that, I would believe that the preassembled kit is not as stiff as the one that you assemble on your own. To get 3" of lift on the kit that you assemble, I think you have to put more preload on the spring.

At any rate, I love the kit... but it's certainly stiffer than the 2.5" top-plate lift that I had on before.