Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Seeking lift opinions/expertise

Old 11-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Seeking lift opinions/expertise

Here's the deal. Yes, I've searched. My goal is to move up from 265/70/16 (31") to 265/75/16 (32"). I wheel quite a bit and just want to slightly improve clearance while losing front rake

Preferences:
1. Doing either Eibach 1.6" coil/5100, OME 884ish?/n140s, or 5100's alone (not interested in spacers)
2. IDK in rear yet. Still working on TSB approval. If not, maybe AAL, maybe nothing. I want to keep it as flexy as possible. Not a fan of blocks.
3. Keep original geometry as much as possible
4. More concerned about performance, flex, and durability off-roading than actual height. Want to go as high as possible without grinding CV's, losing steering, etc.
5. Will probably do diff drop
6. Void warranty as little as possible

Already understand:
1. No such thing as free lunch.
2. UCA's rock. They're out of the budget right now though.

Questions (Things I haven't found searching):
1. Exactly how much can I do, with original UCA's, and still keep alignment right on, not pretty close, or close enough?
2. How much can I do w/o losing steering and swimming down highways?
3. Some say you can do 1.6" Eibach with 0.85" 5100 and some say you can't. Which one is it? Just because you can, should you?
4. There seems to be good reviews of both Eibach and OME. I understand ome is a little more expensive. Anyone care to weigh in?
Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
Give it some time...

1. Exactly how much can I do, with original UCA's, and still keep alignment right on, not pretty close, or close enough?

Believe people are reporting up to 2.5" lift with no UCAs

Same as question 1

3. Some say you can do 1.6" Eibach with 0.85" 5100 and some say you can't. Which one is it? Just because you can, should you?

From my experience, you can. It is not too much different than the OME springs and the 5100.

4. There seems to be good reviews of both Eibach and OME. I understand ome is a little more expensive. Anyone care to weigh in?[/quote]

Both are good springs, apples to apples comparison.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Taco_Time View Post
Give it some time...

Believe people are reporting up to 2.5" lift with no UCAs

Same as question 1

From my experience, you can. It is not too much different than the OME springs and the 5100.

4. There seems to be good reviews of both Eibach and OME. I understand ome is a little more expensive. Anyone care to weigh in?
Both are good springs, apples to apples comparison.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the input
Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
no problem. Don't mean to sound like a dick, but use the search function. There is a plethora of info on the 5100/eibach and the OME setups.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
geolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of light

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no problem. Don't mean to sound like a dick, but use the search function. There is a plethora of info on the 5100/eibach and the OME setups.
Even have a thread on how to use the search function:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new...-function.html

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #7

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
There was just a couple of nuances I never found. The alignment for example, I know you can get it close, or good enough, with 2.5-3" of lift w/o uca's but I never found an exact number on where you cross the line from "I can align it perfectly" to "I can align it pretty well."

I know how to search. I've searched the topic up quite well. If it's so damn easy, would one of you be kind enough to find for me and then direct me appropriately. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
geolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of light

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDBoy View Post
There was just a couple of nuances I never found. The alignment for example, I know you can get it close, or good enough, with 2.5-3" of lift w/o uca's but I never found an exact number on where you cross the line from "I can align it perfectly" to "I can align it pretty well."

I know how to search. I've searched the topic up quite well. If it's so damn easy, would one of you be kind enough to find for me and then direct me appropriately. Thanks in advance.
I agree there does not seem to be a definitive answer. I cannot find it either. I think this is due to variations of years/models/styles/weights/vehicle maintenance/what side of the bed you got out of that morning?. My research, like yours, indicates that ability to get "perfect" alignment from the stock UCA's fails around the 2.5 to 3" lift.
I believe I have about 2.5" lift on the front of my rig. Could not get the alignment "perfect" without after market UCA's. Read my thread #9 here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ce-3-lift.html

Just sharing my experience.
Hope it helps!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
Quote:

Here is what you can do: Select your lift and springs and have at it. If you have problems with it start a thread so the rest of us know for the future.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #10

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolink View Post
I agree there does not seem to be a definitive answer. I cannot find it either. I think this is due to variations of years/models/styles/weights/vehicle maintenance/what side of the bed you got out of that morning?. My research, like yours, indicates that ability to get "perfect" alignment from the stock UCA's fails around the 2.5 to 3" lift.
I believe I have about 2.5" lift on the front of my rig. Could not get the alignment "perfect" without after market UCA's. Read my thread #9 here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ce-3-lift.html

Just sharing my experience.
Hope it helps!
Good info. Thanks
Old 11-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #11

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here is what you can do: Select your lift and springs and have at it. If you have problems with it start a thread so the rest of us know for the future.
Fair 'nuff. I've been leaning toward 1.6" Eibach coils with 5100's set at 0.85. If I have any alignment problems, I could back the Billy's down to 0" (at least until if/when I save up for UCA's). 265/75/16 (32") tires would still hopefully fit.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #12

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fair 'nuff. I've been leaning toward 1.6" Eibach coils with 5100's set at 0.85. If I have any alignment problems, I could back the Billy's down to 0" (at least until if/when I save up for UCA's). 265/75/16 (32") tires would still hopefully fit.
I would think the 265/75/16 (31.7") tires would fit.

My Sport Rim tires 265/70/17 are 31.6 ".
They fit when my truck was stock, un-lifted.
They are 1" higher than the 265/65/17 tires that came on the truck.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #13
The G stands for smooth
Gsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GG
Gsquare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, judging by the lack of responses, I guess my original post was too long to bother reading. Sorry.

Not at all -- just a Friday thing. Tomorrow is another day.

Matter of fact, I'm not =really= here either ... *lurk*
Old 11-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
IndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to behold
IndigoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Those tires will fit without any lift at all. I would do the Eibach/5100's set at '0'. Gives you the most down travel for flexing. If not the Eibach's then the 884's/OME shocks for sure. I wouldn't preload an aftermarket spring, there was just a thread with pics of balljoint failure I saw earlier today.......