1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seeking lift opinions/expertise

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by BirdTRD, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Nov 6, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD [OP] Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Here's the deal. Yes, I've searched. My goal is to move up from 265/70/16 (31") to 265/75/16 (32"). I wheel quite a bit and just want to slightly improve clearance while losing front rake

Preferences:
    1. Doing either Eibach 1.6" coil/5100, OME 884ish?/n140s, or 5100's alone (not interested in spacers)
    2. IDK in rear yet. Still working on TSB approval. If not, maybe AAL, maybe nothing. I want to keep it as flexy as possible. Not a fan of blocks.
    3. Keep original geometry as much as possible
    4. More concerned about performance, flex, and durability off-roading than actual height. Want to go as high as possible without grinding CV's, losing steering, etc.
    5. Will probably do diff drop
    6. Void warranty as little as possible

Already understand:
    1. No such thing as free lunch.
    2. UCA's rock. They're out of the budget right now though.

Questions (Things I haven't found searching):
    1. Exactly how much can I do, with original UCA's, and still keep alignment right on, not pretty close, or close enough?
    2. How much can I do w/o losing steering and swimming down highways?
    3. Some say you can do 1.6" Eibach with 0.85" 5100 and some say you can't. Which one is it? Just because you can, should you?
    4. There seems to be good reviews of both Eibach and OME. I understand ome is a little more expensive. Anyone care to weigh in?

2. Nov 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Well, judging by the lack of responses, I guess my original post was too long to bother reading. Sorry.

3. Nov 6, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    Its_Taco_Time

Its_Taco_Time Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yorba Linda
    Vehicle:
    07 Tunda DC TRD Offroad
    CST spindles, Magnaflow, TRD intake
    Give it some time...

1. Exactly how much can I do, with original UCA's, and still keep alignment right on, not pretty close, or close enough?

Believe people are reporting up to 2.5" lift with no UCAs

2. How much can I do w/o losing steering and swimming down highways?

Same as question 1

3. Some say you can do 1.6" Eibach with 0.85" 5100 and some say you can't. Which one is it? Just because you can, should you?

From my experience, you can. It is not too much different than the OME springs and the 5100.

4. There seems to be good reviews of both Eibach and OME. I understand ome is a little more expensive. Anyone care to weigh in?[/quote]

Both are good springs, apples to apples comparison.

4. Nov 6, 2009 at 3:10 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Both are good springs, apples to apples comparison.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the input

5. Nov 6, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    Its_Taco_Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yorba Linda
    Vehicle:
    07 Tunda DC TRD Offroad
    no problem. Don't mean to sound like a dick, but use the search function. There is a plethora of info on the 5100/eibach and the OME setups.

6. Nov 6, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    geolink

geolink Well-Known Member

Member:
    SILVER STATE
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB MagGray TRD SPORT
    Weathertech mats and hood protector, RuffTuff seat covers, padded console, Redline Hood Struts, Snugtop canopy w/Thule Rack, TSB rear springs plus AAL, 5100's all around OME 885 front coils, LR UCA, Avid Step Bars, LT265/70R17 BFG AT on stock Sport Rims
  7. Nov 6, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    There was just a couple of nuances I never found. The alignment for example, I know you can get it close, or good enough, with 2.5-3" of lift w/o uca's but I never found an exact number on where you cross the line from "I can align it perfectly" to "I can align it pretty well."

I know how to search. I've searched the topic up quite well. If it's so damn easy, would one of you be kind enough to find for me and then direct me appropriately. Thanks in advance.

8. Nov 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM
    geolink

Member:
    SILVER STATE
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech mats and hood protector, RuffTuff seat covers, padded console, Redline Hood Struts, Snugtop canopy w/Thule Rack, TSB rear springs plus AAL, 5100's all around OME 885 front coils, LR UCA, Avid Step Bars, LT265/70R17 BFG AT on stock Sport Rims
    I agree there does not seem to be a definitive answer. I cannot find it either. I think this is due to variations of years/models/styles/weights/vehicle maintenance/what side of the bed you got out of that morning?. My research, like yours, indicates that ability to get "perfect" alignment from the stock UCA's fails around the 2.5 to 3" lift.
    I believe I have about 2.5" lift on the front of my rig. Could not get the alignment "perfect" without after market UCA's. Read my thread #9 here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/59568-advice-3-lift.html

Just sharing my experience.
    Hope it helps!

9. Nov 6, 2009 at 3:56 PM
    Its_Taco_Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yorba Linda
    Vehicle:
    07 Tunda DC TRD Offroad
    Here is what you can do: Select your lift and springs and have at it. If you have problems with it start a thread so the rest of us know for the future. :D

10. Nov 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Good info. Thanks

11. Nov 6, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Fair 'nuff. I've been leaning toward 1.6" Eibach coils with 5100's set at 0.85. If I have any alignment problems, I could back the Billy's down to 0" (at least until if/when I save up for UCA's). 265/75/16 (32") tires would still hopefully fit.

12. Nov 6, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    geolink

Member:
    SILVER STATE
    Vehicle:
    I would think the 265/75/16 (31.7") tires would fit.

My Sport Rim tires 265/70/17 are 31.6 ".
    They fit when my truck was stock, un-lifted.
    They are 1" higher than the 265/65/17 tires that came on the truck.

13. Nov 6, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    Gsquare

Gsquare The G stands for smooth

Member:
    First Name:
    GG
    Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    2018 - TRD Off Road 4x4 - Cement / Graphite - DCSB
    ReadyLIFT 3/2 Lift Kit, T-Force TRD Black Satin Spoke Wheels, OEM TRD Red/Black Resin Center Wheel Hub Covers, Toyo P285/70R17 Open Country AT's, SpiderTrax 1.25 F/R Wheel Spacers, Blackout Pkg: Tailgate Letters, Badges and Tailpipe Extension, Qi Wireless Charging, LED Bed Lights, Power Tailgate Lock, Shark Running Boards, Weathertech Floor Mats, U.S. Airforce Decal Drivers Side Rear Window, MESO Gasshole Fuel Cap Holder, OEM Trailer Hitch Cap

Not at all -- just a Friday thing. Tomorrow is another day. :D

Matter of fact, I'm not =really= here either ... *lurk*

14. Nov 6, 2009 at 5:26 PM
    IndigoTaco

IndigoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab Sport 4x4
    Those tires will fit without any lift at all. I would do the Eibach/5100's set at '0'. Gives you the most down travel for flexing. If not the Eibach's then the 884's/OME shocks for sure. I wouldn't preload an aftermarket spring, there was just a thread with pics of balljoint failure I saw earlier today.......

Products Discussed in

To Top