1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing old springs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ZacksTaco, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Feb 16, 2008 at 6:17 PM
    ZacksTaco

ZacksTaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 Ext. Cab
    Lift kit
    I bought a '98 Taco 4x4 last summer for my son and it was/is lifted via blocks. A leaf in the LR broke last week. Per recommendations from his friend and a shop we bought Skyjacker TCR 25S springs to replace the blocks and springs. I'm told we may need a small spacer but we'll wait to see how it sits. Now I have 2 problems:
    1) Even after freeing the frozen bolts I'm stuck trying to get the old springs out of the rear shackles. Is there a good trick for doing this? The nuts are off but nothing wants to move.
    2) I believe the new springs will sit right on top of the emergency brake cable. Is there an easy fix?

Sorry for the newby questions. I've just started searching but haven't found much info, apart from taking the rear shackles out is hard (didn't need to read that :).

Thanks for any help.
    Don

2. Feb 17, 2008 at 3:46 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If I remember correctly.... (but don't quote me on this) and this is under the assumption you have stock shackles.

One of the side plates of the shackle is removable and the other side is all one piece with the bolts attached. You have to remove the side plate first. Then, you should be able to slide the other end of the shackle out - and that's only assuming the bolts are not frozen/fused to the inner sleeves of the bushing.

Make sure you have all the pressure off the springs and everything is jacked up safely. Things should come apart easier if there's no pressure on the springs/shackles.

Your biggest problem will be the bolts being frozen to the inner sleeves inside the bushings. And if they are - destroying the bushings, several cuss words, a case of beer, and a few really big tools might help you.

As for the emergency brake cable - I think I remember removing one of the pivot pin things and tightening up the ends to keep the cable in one place. That was YEARS ago that I had my 96 taco.

Good Luck!

3. Feb 17, 2008 at 9:56 AM
    ZacksTaco

ZacksTaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 Ext. Cab
    Lift kit
    Thanks. I was able to get the inner plates off through penetrating oil and a newly-purchased impact wrench. There's no tension on one spring as I have the U bolts and main eye bolts out so the rest of the spring is free. I was thinking about trying to drill out the bushing as it seems like it's fused - it appears impervious to the frustrated blows of a sledge hammer. I may have to wait until tomorrow since they don't sell (real) beer in Colorado on Sundays. The other things - sledge hammer, crow bar, cuss words - I have covered. Wish I had a fireman friend as the jaws of life would probably come in handy here.

4. Feb 17, 2008 at 11:27 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You may have to totally destroy the rubber of the bushings to get things apart. Torch? ...and a mask and safety glasses. It'll get ugly....

If you were thinking of re-using the shackles, you'll have one nasty mess to clean up and get those collars off the bolts. YOu might wanna reconsider and buy some aftermarket shackles with greasable bolts/bushings. They're one of the best thing to do..... keep 'em greased and they'll never fuse up again.

Products Discussed in

To Top