Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

07 prerunner dropped?

Old 02-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
txstate-taco is on a distinguished road
txstate-taco's Tacoma Gallery
07 prerunner dropped?

I was wondering if the prerunner can be dropped. The DJM lowering kit specifies that it is not for the PreRunner. Also, how can i go about removig the mudflaps?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
I bet it's because the rear axle is under the rear spring and most often they use spacers to lower a spring-under-axle. Those spacers would raise the rear of the pre-runner. Also the front suspension of the prerunner is different from the 5-lug trucks.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
Not to sound like a jerk, but why would you want to drop the PreRunner? I know i opted for the PreRunner because i didnt want the truck so low to the ground. I guess it just doesn't make too much sense to me to drop the PreRunner when you could have gone with a X-runner or even the 5 lug.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I want to lower my prerunner because I needed the doublecab. If they offered a double cab X-Runner, then I'd be driving that.

Also, I don't think you can get the x-runner in an auto. I could be wrong on that. If that is the case, and you want a v6 auto, you need to get the prerunner.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm... i guess i never thought about that. Good point.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Also, I have seen the kit at http://www.tundraracing.com/

I've been tempted, but I'm not sure about the install process.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

That kit looks fine. In fact I may buy that as a way of lifting my 5-lug in the back once I get the total chaos front...
http://www.tundraracing.com/Tacomadropnew.htm
And your reasoning is good.
I always like ground clearance. Wanted to lift my old GTI. Wanted the turbo power and all, but with clearance. They sell a AWD vw golf with a lift in europe...
Old 02-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking at the install instructions for the tundra racing kit. They relocate the leaf springs to under the rear axle. I'm not sure about the tensile strength of those bolts. I'm sure it is enough, but I can't help but think the springs over the axle is a better setup for load carrying.

I do still need a truck, I just want one that handles the corners a little better.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
I bet it's because the rear axle is under the rear spring and most often they use spacers to lower a spring-under-axle. Those spacers would raise the rear of the pre-runner. Also the front suspension of the prerunner is different from the 5-lug trucks.
Actually.... on the Prerunner, the leaf springs are ontop the axle (similar to the 4x4 trucks). The 5lugger trucks are spring-under axle.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Actually.... on the Prerunner, the leaf springs are ontop the axle (similar to the 4x4 trucks). The 5lugger trucks are spring-under axle.
true. Here is the pic of my truck. Not the best pic, but you can see that the springs are on top of the axle.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
true. Here is the pic of my truck. Not the best pic, but you can see that the springs are on top of the axle.

Technically, you could drop the rear of a Pre-runner by putting the leaf springs under the axle. You'd probably get 5" (give or take) drop. As for the front - not sure how but I'd guess shorter shocks and shorter coils (just guessing).

And then there's a lot of hidden stuff that'd need to be addressed - driveshaft length/angles, rear shock length, tire fitment, yadda yadda yadda. I'm just guessing though...I'm used to peeps in Jeep Wranglers (spring under axle) who convert to spring over axle.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Like I said
Quote:
the rear axle is under the rear spring
So that would make the spring over the axle...
Old 02-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #13
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
i've seen pictures in a magazine of a lowered 2nd gen double cab and it doesn't look that bad......
Old 05-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
danescabare is on a distinguished road

danescabare's Tacoma Gallery
So I was wondering if you put on shorter shocks and shorter coils and then flipped the leaf spring in the back and then cut out a piece of the metal here in the red box and welded it togother would you be able to get the lowered prerunner that hes looking for without extensive frame work?

Old 05-13-2008, 01:30 AM   #15
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
I hate to be a nay-sayer, but a PreRunner is not meant to be dropped. It would be easier, and more economical to drop a 5-lugger. If you still feel like dropping your PreRunner, get ready for some extensive shop time and receipts that never end.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #16
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
I hate to be a nay-sayer, but a PreRunner is not meant to be dropped. It would be easier, and more economical to drop a 5-lugger. If you still feel like dropping your PreRunner, get ready for some extensive shop time and receipts that never end.
I think going out and buying $570 drop kit from here http://www.sosperf.com/Tacomadropnew.htm is going to be much cheaper than converting a 5 lug into a double cab. The double cab (which I need) only comes lifted. If they made a lower one, I'd buy it.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #17
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
My last truck was a chevy 1500 1/2 ton. I did an axle flip in the rear and it was not that hard. The only parts i had to buy were new u-bolts, shorter shocks and spring perches. I picked the perches up at a hot rod swap meet, they are universal. It took about a day to do the job in my driveway.
It gave me a total 6" of drop.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #18
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
My last truck was a chevy 1500 1/2 ton. I did an axle flip in the rear and it was not that hard. The only parts i had to buy were new u-bolts, shorter shocks and spring perches. I picked the perches up at a hot rod swap meet, they are universal. It took about a day to do the job in my driveway.
That is pretty much what the SOS kit does. I checked out the instructions and it seems like that is the extent for the rear drop.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:44 AM   #19
Western Alliance
bauermike is on a distinguished road

Army: 25th Inf Div STRYKER, 10th Mountain DIV
bauermike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post

I did the same with my 1500 SS-454, it was really easy with a kit, but if you get really deep into it like cutting suspension and steering parts. Thats when it becomes a headache. I think the best setup with a Taco would be to drop it and install some air bags so the truck could still be used for practical purposes. I later installed an air bag system in the old 454, and it was nice to have when I wanted to load a few bags of concrete or whatever.