Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New Member w/ bas

Old 02-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
alextreme76 is on a distinguished road

alextreme76's Tacoma Gallery
New Member w/ bas

I just picked up an 05 base for my gf, price necessitated a base, but we want to make it a prerunner. I know the rear can pretty much go straight up with shackles and what, but does the camber get screwy and how much could i lift the front with just daystar spacers before needing to replace components.

About me, a die hard toy owner, first car was a 91 Land Cruiser with OME lift and BFG's, had a 314k mi 86 4runner with stock bottom end, and my parents still have a 98 4runner, at one time we were an all toyota family, but I somehow ended up with a POS Honda Element....for now
Old 02-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
well the rear has springs under the axle...so u'd have to some sort of a flip kit in the rear, i would think
Old 02-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #3

since my gf's driving it, i'd like to keep the spring underaxle i think, its a little more stable (i know people scream that its no diff but thats why Jeep did it with the YJ) esp on the streets. i figured i can get a shackle lift for the rear, i know 31's will fit stock with minimal rubbing on the front, but i was thinking of shooting for 33's and make it look level when lifted to.

i've only looked for one day, and all i found was a 2" fabtech rear shackle, but it looked like a shady website...this weekend includes a trip to a couple offroad parts stores
Old 02-20-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

u can get a shackle lift from advanced auto...or atleast they have them at the one near me. it was somewhere around $20. i saw it when i was getting my blocks. i saw a front 1.75" lift for the 5 luggers on ebay somewhere, but now i cant seem to find it
Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #5

yeah i've seen the cheap shackles at autozone and checker with the lift/lower blocks before...jogging that memory now http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP3716...ductDetail.htm

i was thinking, isnt the prerunner coil basically a longer stiffer 5lug coil...i think so a daystar spacer i would think would work... do the spacers throw the camber off?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextreme76 View Post
yeah i've seen the cheap shackles at autozone and checker with the lift/lower blocks before...jogging that memory now http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP3716...ductDetail.htm

i was thinking, isnt the prerunner coil basically a longer stiffer 5lug coil...i think so a daystar spacer i would think would work... do the spacers throw the camber off?
i needed to get an alignment done after i did my 2.5" spacers. it wasnt bad...and i put it off for a few months...but it didnt even wear the tires bad. i could look from the front and see that the tires looked like this... \-----/ a little bit.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:38 AM   #7
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
I didnt know they made lift shackles for the 05+ [i guess something about them prevents from using standard lift shackles, could be wrong though]. I had read on another site [expeditionportal i think] a build up of some guys making custom lift shackles to run with new leaf packs on their LT. I personally would not trust a $15 set of shackles from auto zone.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #8

i probably wouldnt either, i can fab up some at the shop, my buddy has an identically truck so he would probably want a set to. the only thing i see diff is the shock is on the rear of the axle on 5lug and front on 6lug
Old 02-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
Last I heard the only option for a 2nd generation 5-lug was the total chaos kit that replaces the upper control arm and give 3" lift. That allows 31" or 32" IIRC.

http://www.chaosfab.com/88500.html
Old 02-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
The TC kit is a great option. They do good work and are nice. Although, even with the UCA kit and coilovers, your looking at an excess of $1500 for suspension components [Not sure what the 5 lug UCA kit costs, but on the prerunner, they are around $500. the shocks alone are about $900]. If money is no issue i would go for it.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #11
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

What I meant is that I've not heard of spacers for 05+ 5-lug tacos. If there is one I'd love to know. But all the spacers I've seen are 6-lug only. For now I'll be content with adding 30x9.5 tires or at least 235/75R15 tires to fill in the wheel well better and have better options for tires.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Seeing that you have your own shop, you'll be able to save some money, but... with all the money you are going to spend, and the assache, I would have held on to the money for a little longer and just bought a prerunner. Since you are already here, good luck.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #13

well its not my shop, its the university's shop. i figured with the 6k we saved(got a smokin deal on this truck) we could easily prerun it
Old 02-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #14

If you've got the money, wait as Total Chaos is supposed to release a long travel kit for the 5-lugs very soon.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post

Very sweet!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #16
Sooooooper Moderator

shit...looks like a regular cab prerunner
Old 02-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #17
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
If you've got the money, wait as Total Chaos is supposed to release a long travel kit for the 5-lugs very soon.

that is Fing badass as hell!!! If a standard cab like that were available from teh dealer i'd have that instead of my DC!
Old 02-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #18

I bet a solid front axle 4x4 singlecab tacoma would sell very well if it came with at least 32" tires. MAybe more lift than the current 4x4. Give it some tow strap points, sliders, and some better bumpers...That's be a great starting point for a rig.

I'm waiting to see if other kits are available, but at the moment I'm planning on the Total Chaos UCA lift in front and not sure of what in the rear yet.

I love the rims on the total chaos rig.