Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Differential Drop Comparison

Old 11-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
Differential Drop Comparison

okay, so i'm tired of my skid plates not fitting right with this differential drop in so did a little test to see how much they actually help, and this is what I came up with

I have icon c/o at 2.75'' with total chaos uca's

I put the camera on a tripod to hold it still and took pictures on the same spot so it would be easy to compare.

This is a picture with the diff drop in and the truck on jack stands w/ wheels in the air

This with no diff drop and the truck still on stands

Here is what they cv angles look like with a diff drop in and the truck sitting on the ground

and what the angles are on the ground w/ no drop

I didn't take the same picture 4 times and call it a night, i was actually very surprised to see how little it effected it. I'm not sure what the effect on vibes will be. I had no vibes before so we'll see if they show up with no diff drop in

I'm not claiming that a differential drop doesn't do anything or whatnot. I'm just showing a comparison w/ it and w/o it
I just thought it was very interesting and thought i should share it and let people make up their mind weather they think it's worth it or not

so basically my .02 on the subject.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Kinda why I tell people not to bother with it unless needed. It only changes the angle less than 2*
Old 11-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

shit ur speedy

i'm not trying to say they're good or bad, although the pictures kinda point to one side more than the other. i just there to be a good set of pictures for people so see the results
Old 11-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at these pics reminds me of going to an eye doctor. Is that a one....or a two?

Hell I can't tell the difference. Thanks, now I won't waste my time with a diff drop.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I agree. killer thread. People always told me how important it is to have the diff drop. pfff guess not
Old 11-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
When you compare the last two pictures, there's a bump or spot on the right hand side of the lower portion of the shock about half way down...you can see a difference in angle there between that spot and the cv axle.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd3 View Post
Im guessing its not that important been lifted for 50k and, no cv or boot problems?
Hows that Five pin?

Old 11-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
aww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to behold
aww1970's Tacoma Gallery
Good post!

I cannot see any difference?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd3 View Post
I thought this was about diff drops?
Somebody left the garage door open and I wandered.........
Old 11-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Somebody left the garage door open and I wandered.........
I got it Chad..

*grabbing Ben by the coller*

C'mon Mr......
Old 11-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
Voos will become famous soon enough

Name: Eric
Voos's Tacoma Gallery
my diff drop cured some vibes which i assume were coming from the cv's since it intensified at full lock.. May only be 2 degrees change but that can be affect more than you think.. minor trim on the skidplate, and mine went on fine.. Just my .02
Old 11-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
aww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to behold
aww1970's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voos View Post
my diff drop cured some vibes which i assume were coming from the cv's since it intensified at full lock.. May only be 2 degrees change but that can be affect more than you think.. minor trim on the skidplate, and mine went on fine.. Just my .02

I am curious how fast you were going at full lock to feel vibes?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
Voos will become famous soon enough

Name: Eric
Voos's Tacoma Gallery
at 3" i had a pretty good "growl" up to 25 and back down.. full lock in either direction slow in a parking lot felt similar so i chose to "drop" the dif.. now only have the 7mph shudder
Old 11-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #14
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voos View Post
at 3" i had a pretty good "growl" up to 25 and back down.. full lock in either direction slow in a parking lot felt similar so i chose to "drop" the dif.. now only have the 7mph shudder
Well there is your problem.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #15
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered the diff drop with my lift (not on yet). I know some people say it's not necessary. They are probably right but I figured I'd err on the side of caution. It's a $30 insurance policy. Worst case scenario, it does me no good. It won't hurt anything. As a poster mentioned earlier, it's only 2*, but 2* may get you an extra 10,000 miles out of your CV's. Who knows?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #16
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I got one for sale $15 shipped - send me a PM
Old 11-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #17
vv I think it's growing

yah, as long as it doesn't make things worse and you don't care about the cost, then it's fine to put one on. who nows, maybe you'll get vibes before w/o the drop, or maybe not....but it won't hurt to just put them on anyways
Old 11-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #19
vv I think it's growing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
good thread
thanks, i thought it was time i contribute something useful to TW