Did i mess up big time here?

Old 11-20-2009, 04:18 AM   #1
Carolina Boy
Hooters69 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 437 Security Forces Sq, Charleston AFB, SC
Name: Nathan
Hooters69's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hooters69
Exclamation Did i mess up big time here?

i just bought a 3" tough country lift for my 05 tacoma, and it seems that people are mostly saying that the lift is junk and rides ruff. I dont know hardly anything about lifts, but how bad can this really be, i thought you couldn really go wrong with a 3" suspension lift. Im a little nervous here now i really need to know if this lift is going to give me a decent to good ride on the road, and how is it going to affect my truck as far as wear and tear. heres the link so you can see exactly what i got, some honest advice would be great to help me decide what to do here.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...con/52907.html

DESCRIPTION
Gain additional tire clearance to fit 32" tires and get a cool new look with this Tuff Country Toyota Tacoma lift kit. This extremely popular Toyota lift kit includes everthing needed to lift your Tacoma 3". Upper coil spring/strut spacers lift the front of the vehicle while keeping a factory ride and rear-a-leafs lift the rear. Tuff Country has been producing quality suspension products for over 20 years and backs all lift kits with a limited lifetime warranty.

FEATURES
  • Upper coil / strut spacers maintain a near factory ride
  • Front stock struts can be retained, new rear shocks not required
  • Rear add-a-leafs
  • Allows use of 32" tires
Old 11-20-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil
toyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: truck driver 1404
Name: chris
toyotadude5's Tacoma Gallery
i am actually thinking about getting that same lift. Yes its going to be a rougher ride then if you got coilovers... but imo its a truck, i want it lifted and im not the type of persone that needs my 4x4 to have a perfect ride
Old 11-20-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
Carolina Boy
Yes you are correct sir, Im on a deployment right now, and i get to go back to my truck in about 20 days, just thinking about it makes me happy. I think i will invest in a good set of shocks with extended range so that it will absorb most the bump in the ride. I just hope that the spacers dont fall all to crap in less then a year, thank you for your service, i appreciate what the army does for us
Old 11-20-2009, 05:13 AM   #4
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
If you arent satisfied, tell them your "factory ride" was not preserved and tell them you want a refund
Old 11-20-2009, 05:14 AM   #5
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
By the way thanks you very much for your service!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:19 AM   #6
toyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ya i might just pick that lift up. I really want to go 6 inch but dont have the money now
Old 11-20-2009, 05:25 AM   #7
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
or sell it to him^^
Old 11-20-2009, 05:28 AM   #8
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
If you want a lift with a decent ride, you're going to have to replace some suspension components. Spacers aren't going to get it done.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #9

yes sell it to me haha. need to find some rims and tires tho too
Old 11-20-2009, 05:53 AM   #10
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
with the spacer lift u will need new ucas unless u want to replace your tires and ball joints often.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:53 AM   #11
Carolina Boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
By the way thanks you very much for your service!
Thank you, you can actually tell them it messed up your truck and they have to refund you the money? would they ask for the lift back
Old 11-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #12
Carolina Boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
with the spacer lift u will need new ucas unless u want to replace your tires and ball joints often.

Absoloutly not, what is ucas? sorry im very new to this
Old 11-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #13
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
upper control arms.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #14
Carolina Boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotadude5 View Post
yes sell it to me haha. need to find some rims and tires tho too
yeah 6" looks good but very costly from what i can tell, i originally wanted to do that too. We might be onto something here with this lift, if i decide to get rid of it, i will shoot you a deal first.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:02 AM   #15
Carolina Boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
upper control arms.

Ok thanks, but prob would be best to do something else, or would that eliminate the problem if i just replaced the ucas?
Old 11-20-2009, 06:02 AM   #16
Big Member
FLATaco06 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
FLATaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man, I just upgraded to a 6' after running Toytec's 3' spacer and 1.5' rear block for the last year and a half with 16x10s and 285/75/16's. Let me tell you from first-hand experience: my truck drove just fine with no UCAs or other mods and I never had any issues besides alittle rubbing after the spacer's settled. Yeah it is definately more stiff than stock, but unless you're planning on doing some serious off-roading(ie mud bogging every other day, jumping sand dunes, etc) the spacer lift will get you the look I know you're looking for much cheaper than coilovers. Also, thank's for serving our country! My little sister is in Iraq right now with the Army Reserve... Hope the advice helps!
Old 11-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #17
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
At 3" your truck CANNOT be brought to the proper alignment specs. UCA correct that but wont help your harsh ride
Old 11-20-2009, 06:09 AM   #18
Carolina Boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATaco06 View Post
Hey man, I just upgraded to a 6' after running Toytec's 3' spacer and 1.5' rear block for the last year and a half with 16x10s and 285/75/16's. Let me tell you from first-hand experience: my truck drove just fine with no UCAs or other mods and I never had any issues besides alittle rubbing after the spacer's settled. Yeah it is definately more stiff than stock, but unless you're planning on doing some serious off-roading(ie mud bogging every other day, jumping sand dunes, etc) the spacer lift will get you the look I know you're looking for much cheaper than coilovers. Also, thank's for serving our country! My little sister is in Iraq right now with the Army Reserve... Hope the advice helps!
Well god bless her, she will be just fine over there, things have cooled down alot here. I got 20 days left and im outa here for a while hopefully, thanks for the advice, i dont plan on doing anything crazy really, i just hunt a little. I want it to look good, and not fall apart thats all
Old 11-20-2009, 06:11 AM   #19
Carolina Boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
At 3" your truck CANNOT be brought to the proper alignment specs. UCA correct that but wont help your harsh ride

So UCA and maybe some good shocks front and back and i should have a decent set up
Old 11-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #20
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooters69 View Post
Thank you, you can actually tell them it messed up your truck and they have to refund you the money? would they ask for the lift back
They should. In their product description they said you would maintain factory ride quality. I would ask politely first by explaining your situation then pull out the "I am going to contact the Better Business Bureau" card if they give you any shit