LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Block vs. Add a leaf

Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Block vs. Add a leaf

okay so up front I have a temporary 3" lift but i want to lift the rear 2"s. Alot of people say blocks will kill your ride. But i dont understand. I would think it keeps the stock ride, depending on the shock you replace the stock shock with. And wouldn't a add a leaf make a stiffer ride since your adding another leaf? And my last question is what is a good shock to get 2"s of lift out of. I don't want a stiff ride.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100 adj. for shock lift. And DO THE AAL, don't screw with blocks, they are not functional and cause more problems that they are worth.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
And just curious but what problems are the blocks going to cause?
Axle wrap and wheel hop.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwrestler1986 View Post
Bilstein 5100 adj. for shock lift. And DO THE AAL, don't screw with blocks, they are not functional and cause more problems that they are worth.
the ADJ billies are for FRONT ONLY!!!! just thought I'd tell ya
Old 11-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
sibanez is on a distinguished road
sibanez's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sibanez
No, it should generally help with axle wrap and wheel hop. I'm running an Alcan full pack right now, but my truck came with an AAL and it was a good ride.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Quote:
And a add a leaf will not cause axle wrap and wheel hop?
correct. AAL's actually reduce axle wrap from what I heard.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
c-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of light

c-slak's Tacoma Gallery
I can attest to slight axle wrap from even a small 1" block in the back. In the sand especially! I am switching it out to the tsb aal as soon as possible! The rear 5100's should be able to handle a small 2" lift in the rear. I have about that between the block and the tsb and the shocks have been night and day from stock. I am not saying they are any longer than stock because that has been covered numerous times and I measured them myself. No real difference- maybe a half inch at most. I think it is just the better dampening that prevents the clunk I got with the stock bilsteins when they topped out.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so before i order can anyone confirm that the 5100s are long enough for the 2" of lift i will be adding.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
c-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of light

c-slak's Tacoma Gallery
Like I said, the 5100's are a good economical choice for the rear with a small lift. You can go with the OME rear shocks if you really feel you need the extended travel or the biltein 5125's. I have heard good things about both but again price was a concern for me. For my current needs the 5100s were a perfect choice and I have had a great experience with them. I know many others have run the 5100s in the rear with a similar lift and have had a great experience also. The dampening is far superior to stock and no harsh clunk when they have reached their full extension. Anything over 2" you should consider a longer rear shock.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #14
671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

671taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok so before i order can anyone confirm that the 5100s are long enough for the 2" of lift i will be adding.
its long enough
Old 11-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #16
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8WhiteTaco View Post
the ADJ billies are for FRONT ONLY!!!! just thought I'd tell ya
I am aware of that man. I was saying 5100 for the lift in place of spacer. and AAL for rear.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #17

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Just picked up a pair of 5100s for the rear and a add a 2" add a leaf for the rear with only 5k on it for $135 including shipping. How did I do?
Old 11-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #18

Old 11-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #19
SLOH is a jewel in the roughSLOH is a jewel in the roughSLOH is a jewel in the rough

Name: Scott
SLOH's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, a lot of people say you'd get axle rap with a block but i've never experienced any axle wrap (yes i know what it is) and i have a 2" block...but yeah good job getting the AAL, i'm in the process now of getting rid of my rear block, i bottom out like crazy but thats cause i need TSB....so i just decided to get new rear suspension instead of the TSB and to get rid of the block
Old 11-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #20

c-slak's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you got a great deal. Congrats!

Regarding the axle wrap; I don't get any on the street at all. Really the only time I do is when I'm in the sand or mud and I have little traction. It's probably not enough to break anything as long as you let off the gas in time. Then again I am very conscious and careful about it. Let's just say I've seen many 6" full size's break a lot of drivetrain components from trying to just floor it out of a situation. You could see the tires bouncing along right before a big BOOM