Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

885's+5100s+TC UCA+1/2" top plate spacer increase downtravel?

Old 11-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
c-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of light

c-slak's Tacoma Gallery
885's+5100s+TC UCA+1/2" top plate spacer increase downtravel?

I have been thinking about how to economically get a little more travel out of my front suspension. Right now I have 5100's set to 1.75 with toytecs 1/4" top plate spacers. I want to raise the front to accomodate 285/75/16s and still add a little bit of down travel to my setup since I will be losing it by raising the front with the 885's. I was considering adding 1/2" top plate spacers to increase the down travel. I have heard this will cause binding of the factory ball joint and the stock uca can contact the spring. I have also read that the TC UCA gets rid of this problem and adds possible downtravel to the front. Will this combo work? i noticed the front 5100's are about a 1/2 inch longer than the factory front shocks so I am guessing combining those with the 1/2 inch top plate spacer should yield 1" extra down travel over stock. This should mean I will have 2" of down travel and 7" of up travel with the 3" lift in this set up. this seems like an economical alternative to a mid travel coil over setup with uca's. I know it wont be as good but Im pretty broke. Not much better but anything over 1" down travel seems like it would be welcome.

Sorry this might sound confusing but I feel that logically this should work. I do some mid-high speed desert wheeling so I don't want to lose all down travel. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Seems my TC's have given about 1" more travel at the wheel.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
c-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of light

c-slak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Seems my TC's have given about 1" more travel at the wheel.
sweet! I figured I should have just pm'd you about it since you have close to the setup I am looking to do. I already have the 5100's so am planning to stick with them for a while.

On a side note; how much of a lift did the 885's end up giving you? I have heard 2.5 and 3. I don't want over 3" of lift so the top plate spacer is on my maybe list.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-slak View Post
sweet! I figured I should have just pm'd you about it since you have close to the setup I am looking to do. I already have the 5100's so am planning to stick with them for a while.

On a side note; how much of a lift did the 885's end up giving you? I have heard 2.5 and 3. I don't want over 3" of lift so the top plate spacer is on my maybe list.
Without the top lift enhancers, I have been at 3" lift after they settled in. I IRC, they were about 3.25" right after install.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #5

Being as you have the 5100's, you may want to get a 1/4" spacer for the driver side, to account for th eextra weight of the fuel tank, and such.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #6

c-slak's Tacoma Gallery
thanks. I take it the OME shocks are side specific where as the 5100's are not?
Old 11-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #7

Quote:
thanks. I take it the OME shocks are side specific where as the 5100's are not?
The OME shocks have a "Trim Packer" you use on the shock itself. 5mm adjustments.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
s3
Klipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Klipp11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have been thinking about how to economically get a little more travel out of my front suspension. Right now I have 5100's set to 1.75 with toytecs 1/4" top plate spacers. I want to raise the front to accomodate 285/75/16s and still add a little bit of down travel to my setup since I will be losing it by raising the front with the 885's. I was considering adding 1/2" top plate spacers to increase the down travel. I have heard this will cause binding of the factory ball joint and the stock uca can contact the spring. I have also read that the TC UCA gets rid of this problem and adds possible downtravel to the front. Will this combo work? i noticed the front 5100's are about a 1/2 inch longer than the factory front shocks so I am guessing combining those with the 1/2 inch top plate spacer should yield 1" extra down travel over stock. This should mean I will have 2" of down travel and 7" of up travel with the 3" lift in this set up. this seems like an economical alternative to a mid travel coil over setup with uca's. I know it wont be as good but Im pretty broke. Not much better but anything over 1" down travel seems like it would be welcome.

Sorry this might sound confusing but I feel that logically this should work. I do some mid-high speed desert wheeling so I don't want to lose all down travel. Thanks in advance for any advice.
hey c-slak,

i just finished building my truck with the exact setup you're asking about (minus the 285's) and love it. let me know if you want any measurements
Old 11-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klipp11 View Post
hey c-slak,

i just finished building my truck with the exact setup you're asking about (minus the 285's) and love it. let me know if you want any measurements
Them 305s look mean!