Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

885's+5100s+TC UCA+1/2" top plate spacer increase downtravel?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
c-slak [OP] c-slak is offline
Member
c-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of light
 
c-slak's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2009, #25492
Location: Chandler, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 65
c-slak's Tacoma Gallery
885's+5100s+TC UCA+1/2" top plate spacer increase downtravel?

I have been thinking about how to economically get a little more travel out of my front suspension. Right now I have 5100's set to 1.75 with toytecs 1/4" top plate spacers. I want to raise the front to accomodate 285/75/16s and still add a little bit of down travel to my setup since I will be losing it by raising the front with the 885's. I was considering adding 1/2" top plate spacers to increase the down travel. I have heard this will cause binding of the factory ball joint and the stock uca can contact the spring. I have also read that the TC UCA gets rid of this problem and adds possible downtravel to the front. Will this combo work? i noticed the front 5100's are about a 1/2 inch longer than the factory front shocks so I am guessing combining those with the 1/2 inch top plate spacer should yield 1" extra down travel over stock. This should mean I will have 2" of down travel and 7" of up travel with the 3" lift in this set up. this seems like an economical alternative to a mid travel coil over setup with uca's. I know it wont be as good but Im pretty broke. Not much better but anything over 1" down travel seems like it would be welcome.

Sorry this might sound confusing but I feel that logically this should work. I do some mid-high speed desert wheeling so I don't want to lose all down travel. Thanks in advance for any advice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,897
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Seems my TC's have given about 1" more travel at the wheel.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
c-slak [OP] c-slak is offline
Member
c-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of light
 
c-slak's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2009, #25492
Location: Chandler, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 65
c-slak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Seems my TC's have given about 1" more travel at the wheel.
sweet! I figured I should have just pm'd you about it since you have close to the setup I am looking to do. I already have the 5100's so am planning to stick with them for a while.

On a side note; how much of a lift did the 885's end up giving you? I have heard 2.5 and 3. I don't want over 3" of lift so the top plate spacer is on my maybe list.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,897
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-slak View Post
sweet! I figured I should have just pm'd you about it since you have close to the setup I am looking to do. I already have the 5100's so am planning to stick with them for a while.

On a side note; how much of a lift did the 885's end up giving you? I have heard 2.5 and 3. I don't want over 3" of lift so the top plate spacer is on my maybe list.
Without the top lift enhancers, I have been at 3" lift after they settled in. I IRC, they were about 3.25" right after install.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,897
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Being as you have the 5100's, you may want to get a 1/4" spacer for the driver side, to account for th eextra weight of the fuel tank, and such.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
c-slak [OP] c-slak is offline
Member
c-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of lightc-slak is a glorious beacon of light
 
c-slak's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2009, #25492
Location: Chandler, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 65
c-slak's Tacoma Gallery
thanks. I take it the OME shocks are side specific where as the 5100's are not?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,897
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-slak View Post
thanks. I take it the OME shocks are side specific where as the 5100's are not?
The OME shocks have a "Trim Packer" you use on the shock itself. 5mm adjustments.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
s3
Klipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Klipp11's Avatar
Name: Kevin
Joined: Oct 2009, #24059
Gender: Dude
Posts: 532
Klipp11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-slak View Post
I have been thinking about how to economically get a little more travel out of my front suspension. Right now I have 5100's set to 1.75 with toytecs 1/4" top plate spacers. I want to raise the front to accomodate 285/75/16s and still add a little bit of down travel to my setup since I will be losing it by raising the front with the 885's. I was considering adding 1/2" top plate spacers to increase the down travel. I have heard this will cause binding of the factory ball joint and the stock uca can contact the spring. I have also read that the TC UCA gets rid of this problem and adds possible downtravel to the front. Will this combo work? i noticed the front 5100's are about a 1/2 inch longer than the factory front shocks so I am guessing combining those with the 1/2 inch top plate spacer should yield 1" extra down travel over stock. This should mean I will have 2" of down travel and 7" of up travel with the 3" lift in this set up. this seems like an economical alternative to a mid travel coil over setup with uca's. I know it wont be as good but Im pretty broke. Not much better but anything over 1" down travel seems like it would be welcome.

Sorry this might sound confusing but I feel that logically this should work. I do some mid-high speed desert wheeling so I don't want to lose all down travel. Thanks in advance for any advice.
hey c-slak,

i just finished building my truck with the exact setup you're asking about (minus the 285's) and love it. let me know if you want any measurements
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
.....
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
ColtsTRD's Avatar
Name: Scott
Joined: May 2009, #17177
Location: AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,946
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klipp11 View Post
hey c-slak,

i just finished building my truck with the exact setup you're asking about (minus the 285's) and love it. let me know if you want any measurements
Them 305s look mean!
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/4" top plate spacer with bilstein 5100s? TacomaGRG Suspension 21 02-26-2014 03:12 PM
Top plate spacer lift on 5100s? gacandido2010 Suspension 13 11-21-2011 05:19 PM
Eibachs with 5100s at "0" and top plate spacer? NC10TRDSPORT Suspension 10 08-31-2011 03:24 PM
885's + TC UCA + 1/2" Top Plate Spacer? c-slak 2nd Gen. Tacomas 0 11-20-2009 11:15 AM
Taco Lean, top plate spacer necessary with 5100s? STLTaco09 Suspension 26 06-30-2009 11:17 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.