Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Installing 5100's and need feedback on issues

Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Installing 5100's and need feedback on issues

Hey all...just ordered my billies and AAL today. I need to know if there are any issues that you had when you did this yourself? Any helpful hints to make this go as smooth as possible would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Dont let Pep Boys install the spring on the shock. Or else you can be wearing one of these....If your lucky.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

HA! Thats classic. Id have to give someone a shiner for that..it will be my local greasemonkey compressing them on.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
RI06TACO has a spectacular aura aboutRI06TACO has a spectacular aura aboutRI06TACO has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: I drive boats and save people.
Name: Jeff
RI06TACO's Tacoma Gallery
just make sure you follow the instructions..and take everything apart on both sides before you try to remove stock shock..The sway bar needs to be un connected on BOTH sides before you remove the shock..

I'll post some pics on another thread of how mine came out..

AND GET SOMEONE TO DO THE SPRINGS FOR YOU!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure the driver's side coil spring goes back on the driver's side. It's supposedly built heavier.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Make sure the guy doing your springs aligns the top plate studs with the lower shock mount properly. Jan has a diagram of how it's supposed to work.
Take your time- Don't be afraid to remove parts if they are in the way- Take your time- and Enjoy working on it!!
Edit: Is this what you are talking about?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #9
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
if not aligned correctly you can put the top of the Coilover in the coil bucket, loosly tighten the 3 top nuts and turn the bottom of the coilover with a large wrench to line things up.

Much easier then going back to the shop 2-3 times........
Old 11-24-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
jester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jester156's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jester156
^^that's what I did^^, I did try and line it up pretty close, but had to do a little adjusting on the truck.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #12

Cool, I dont think this should be too hard. I have a friend helping thats pretty good at all this so I should be good. If anyone else has anything to chime in with, please do so.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #13
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Do it your self on the springs its easy. Just get one of these.

Took me about 3 hours.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #14
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
Do it your self on the springs its easy. Just get one of these.

Took me about 3 hours.
In your pic, it the spring seat on the 5100 is upside down. I hope you didnt install them like that.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
In your pic, it the spring seat on the 5100 is upside down. I hope you didnt install them like that.
No I installed the way It was so posed to we caught that ask Brandon (Blowham) it was funny I was like WTF that dosent seem right lol he was quality control and he was slacking! I actually had someone with me that is a mechanic but if I were to do it again I could have easily done it with just the advice you gave me through PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #16
well.....
Rustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura about

Rustyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboytacoma24 View Post
Cool, I dont think this should be too hard. I have a friend helping thats pretty good at all this so I should be good. If anyone else has anything to chime in with, please do so.
I "borrowed" a spring compressor from Autozone ($50, but refunded when you bring it back) and it was pretty easy. Literally did this last night, took a little over an hour, but I've had this front end apart before so it was probably quicker than if it was my first.

Couple words of advice--First, check and make sure you have ALL the parts before you start. It's a long story, but it sucks when you have everything apart and realize that you have to put it all back together and wait for FedEx to bring a missing part...

Second, have someone help you when you pull the struts and when you put them back. The helper uses a pry bar (with wood block of course) to push the lower arm down while you pull the strut out and down in front of the lower arm. The strut will slide right out (downward) in between the lower arm and the steering control arm. Way easier than taking it toward the back, and you don't have to remove brake lines and all.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
No I installed the way It was so posed to we caught that ask Brandon (Blowham) it was funny I was like WTF that dosent seem right lol he was quality control and he was slacking! I actually had someone with me that is a mechanic but if I were to do it again I could have easily done it with just the advice you gave me through PM.
Whew. Good to hear.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #18
well.....
Rustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura about

Rustyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboytacoma24 View Post

I took some pics of the removal/reinstall and could post them if you're interested. It's not that bad...
Old 11-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #19
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
just got back from the shop after putting 5100's and the eibach coils in myself.

i removed the sway bar, disconnected the tie rod ends and lower ball joint mounts.
this way you can move the whole hub assembly back and out of the way and have tons of room to work and move the coil assembly out/in to place.
pry down on the lower control arm and slide the whole unit out.

i had to disassemble my old coils to get the top plates for the spring and coil setup. i was using a loaner spring compressor set from a parts store (which i don't think was rated for anywhere near the spring rate of even the stock coils!). it can be a pain but just takes a little patience. this will most like be the hardest part of the install.
alot of people say to get them done by someone else, but it is important to align the top plate properly with the lower shock mount, or you'll be cursing up and down trying to get it all back together

just remember to anti-seize everything when it goes back together! you'll thank yourself in the future.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #20
Effin A Cotton, Effin A
texastacobueno is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
texastacobueno's Tacoma Gallery
mk I just ordered my eibach and billy's today so i'm about to begin prepping for the install, and i see that allignment diagram shown above but what i dont understand is which side the 2 studs that are parallel go on. do they face the inside of the truck or the outside?