LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

tie rods

Old 11-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
tie rods

Is it normal to be able to twist my tie rods back and forth with my hand?
and should they click/clunk like metal on metal when I do?
Old 11-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure the two nuts on either tie rod are tightened, especially the ones closer to your wheels. Those should have locktite on the threads. The inner nut is loosened to adjust your toe. If that nut is loose, your truck will eventually be out of alignment. If both nuts are tight then you should not be able to adjust your tie rods.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
Is it normal to be able to twist my tie rods back and forth with my hand?
and should they click/clunk like metal on metal when I do?
Are you able to turn the rod or the end or do they turn together?
Old 11-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
wow, alright, there are pics on this thread, can you have a look and make sure were talking about the same thing..

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...er-5100-a.html
Old 11-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
The Tie rod end is a joint so movement is ok, best way to check is to have someone move the steering wheel slightly back and forth while you grab on to the tie rod and check for popping/play in the joint
Old 11-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
^ yea its ok for the entire tie rod to move as ONE piece, but you shouldnt be able to twist the tie rod in opposite directions by twisting the outer and inner tie rod ends.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
im pretty sure you need new tie rods with that much movement
Old 11-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #8

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsenekos View Post
im pretty sure you need new tie rods with that much movement
DAMN, ok so, how hard is it to replace them? and anyone know a good place to buy them?

also, when jacked up, my wheel has play going in and out, so standing at the side of the truck with a hand on either side of the tire i can jiggle it. tie rods? would that give me a clicking sound over bumps?
Old 11-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Tie rod ends. the tie rod is probably fine. Take the wheel off take the nut off the "ball joint" take a "ball joint fork" pop it out, heat may be required. When taking the rod end off count the turns off. when installing the new one put on with same number of turns. get it alligned
Old 11-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry I meant tie rod ends as yoytoda mentioned. If it were me go to a shop like midas and get them to look at the front end and tell (and show you) what is worn out and then go to a parts store get the needed parts and install them
Old 11-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #11

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsenekos View Post
Sorry I meant tie rod ends as yoytoda mentioned. If it were me go to a shop like midas and get them to look at the front end and tell (and show you) what is worn out and then go to a parts store get the needed parts and install them
x2

I just posted how to fix them but withou looking at the truck no guarantees thats the problem.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #12

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for all your help guys, i had kaltire do a tie rod end last year, so i'll go back and get them to check it for free
Old 01-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #13

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
so I posted somewhere else but this works, turns out it's both inner tie rod ends, where should I buy new ones online?