Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

If I use 5100's and a 265/75/16 tire, will I get rub?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
If I use 5100's and a 265/75/16 tire, will I get rub?

I'm still having suspension debates.

After I found an actual Toyota dealership that will install the 3 inch Toytec lift, they said they don't guarentee there WON'T be vibration issues.

But, everyone seem happy with Bilstien 5100's though. So, if I get these all around and set the front to 2.5 and otherwise have a stock Prerunner, will I get tire rub from a 265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grappler?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
dwb is on a distinguished road

dwb's Tacoma Gallery
No, you will not have rubbing issues with 265's. But my question is this: Is your truck a reg cab, xtra cab or dbl cab (4 door)? The reason I ask is for the vibration concerns. If the truck is a dbl cab, it has a 2 piece shaft with a carrier bearing. There's where the problem is in the rear. Some guys get it, and some don't.....I had it, and it sucked. The thing up front is the CV angle. So you would think that adding a diff drop would help, and it did some. Still got the hum from the front CV's. In my experience, the only way to properly lift a Tacoma dbl cab or any truck with IFS and a 2 piece driveshaft is to install a custom 1 piece shaft and a lift kit that includes new crossmembers and spindles. Such as Fabtech or Pro Comp. Then you solve both issues, the CV angles and the rear shaft vibes. So if your truck is a dbl cab or not, the best way to lift is not with spacers. That's just one mans opinion after doing much research. Good Luck......
Old 02-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #3
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
From what I understand and have read, the BFG's 265/75/16's are a good replacement for the Rugged Trail 265/70/16's. No rub even with stock suspensions.

Please correct me guys if that is a wrong statement.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:04 AM   #4
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
I have Bilstein 5100 coilovers in front set at 1.75 and the rears installed (getting a 1 inch Toytec lift for rear should be here tomorrow). I have 4 Michelin LTX M/S 265/75/15.

No rubbing with anything and awesome ride.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:14 AM   #5

dwb's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah 10-4 to 265/70/R17 BFG AT's on stock suspension. I only have a 1 inch spacer in front and no rubbing at all. Tried the 3 inch and had too many issues with vibes and hums. If I lift my truck in the future it will be done right with a full 6" suspension lift and solid one piece driveshaft in the rear. But hey, I like the way my truck drives now. But I sure love looking at the ones that are lifted the right way.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
AZ074x4x4 will become famous soon enough

AZ074x4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the 5100s

I have the 5100's set at 1.75", LT265/75R16 tires, No rubbing and no vibe problems.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:17 AM   #7

dwb's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah AZO, as long as you don't go up to 3" you shouldn't have any vibes. The dbl cab like mine and yours has the 2 pc driveshaft with carrier bearing, and that's where the vibe comes from. Just keep your eye on those front CV's to make sure they are not rubbing. Your truck looks good by the way...........
Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ074x4x4 View Post
I have the 5100's set at 1.75", LT265/75R16 tires, No rubbing and no vibe problems.
i have a set of 5100's in the mail now. i have the rear spring TSB done and i'm hoping i can set the 5100's to 2.5" and it will be level. i dont want the front end to be higher than the back. did you settle on 1.75 because the front was too high? do you have the TSB done?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
mrbjr is on a distinguished road
mrbjr's Tacoma Gallery
I had the TSB done and have my 5100s set at .85 front, and after about three good loads it is setting maybe a 1/4" higher in back.. Actually looks level...
Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #10

dwb's Tacoma Gallery
Would you mind telling me what TSB is? Guess I've been living under a rock too long but I don't know the lingo. And I only have 1" in front now because the 3" made the CV's hum. This truck is my daily driver and I don't want to screw it up. So, like I said before, if I lift it more, it will be with a 6" suspension w/crossmembers, spindles, 5100's and a custom 1 pc driveshaft in the rear. But that would call for larger tires, and there goes my fuel mileage.....oh what to do.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwb View Post
No, you will not have rubbing issues with 265's. But my question is this: Is your truck a reg cab, xtra cab or dbl cab (4 door)? The reason I ask is for the vibration concerns. If the truck is a dbl cab, it has a 2 piece shaft with a carrier bearing. There's where the problem is in the rear. Some guys get it, and some don't.....I had it, and it sucked. The thing up front is the CV angle. So you would think that adding a diff drop would help, and it did some. Still got the hum from the front CV's. In my experience, the only way to properly lift a Tacoma dbl cab or any truck with IFS and a 2 piece driveshaft is to install a custom 1 piece shaft and a lift kit that includes new crossmembers and spindles. Such as Fabtech or Pro Comp. Then you solve both issues, the CV angles and the rear shaft vibes. So if your truck is a dbl cab or not, the best way to lift is not with spacers. That's just one mans opinion after doing much research. Good Luck......
Mine's the access cab or xtra cab. So, don't know if I have the double cab issues.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 AM   #12

dwb's Tacoma Gallery
Look under the truck and see if your rear driveshaft is one or two pc. If it's a 2 pc w/carrier bearing, then be mindful as you lift.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
So my drive shaft goes from the engine, then in the middle of the truck under the access cab, the shaft is divided with U-joint and a shackle, then it goes on to the rear diff.

But after that connection, it doens't break up again.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #14

dwb's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds to me like you do have a 2 pc shaft with carrier bearing. Go to the link below and scroll down until you see the photos of the two shafts. It's obvious which is the one you have. If you are going to raise your truck much over 2-3 inches, you need the 1 pc custom driveshaft.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238 This dudes truck is done so right in every way.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:27 AM   #15
Secret Agent
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
i have a set of 5100's in the mail now. i have the rear spring TSB done and i'm hoping i can set the 5100's to 2.5" and it will be level. i dont want the front end to be higher than the back. did you settle on 1.75 because the front was too high? do you have the TSB done?
Yo, brother ND. I'm skeptical about a lot of people on the TN board and this one who did the 2.5 setting on those 5100's and said they were level. Perhaps my truck was built on the moon but myself and others have it set at 1.75 and STILL the front is 1/2" higher than the rear.

I waited for months now to see about suspension settling and still the same. I ordered the Toytec 1" lift block for the rear and will install that this weekend. This should give me a 1/2" rake toward the front which is how I like it.

If I were you bro I would NOT go over 1.75...in fact if I would do it again I would lower it to the third setting at 0.85.

So, the major issue (besides irritating me whenever I look at at and it seems only I can notice it) is my headlights. I BLIND people (which gets me to thinking...anyone know how to adjust the headlights on our trucks? I can't find an adjustment screw anywhere). I get headlights flicked on in the opposite direction dozens of times a night and when behind some people they get really pissed off. They think my high beams are on until I nail them with my real high beams and my fogs (which are Xenons). This is all because I have a slight rake upwards toward the front.

Yeah, yeah part of me enjoys it.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #16
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Viper, do you have any recent pics of your truck from the side so i can see what it looks like with the tsb and the 5100's at 1.75? i measured the center of each rim to the fender. Technically there is exactly a 2.5 in difference between my front and rear. so the shocks shoudl "level'' it but with teh design of our bodies it may look like the front is higher. i dunno
Old 02-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #17
AZ074x4x4 will become famous soon enough

AZ074x4x4's Tacoma Gallery
No on the TSB

Quote:
I don't have the rear TSB and even when pulling by tent trailer, I have plenty of rear travel left, so I went with what would give me a level stance. Before I picked 1.75", I jacked the front up to 2.5" and it didn't look right.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #18

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, well do i have any options for lifting the back other than blocks? I cant use an AAL since i already have the TSB
Old 02-29-2008, 03:55 AM   #19
Secret Agent
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey Viper, do you have any recent pics of your truck from the side so i can see what it looks like with the tsb and the 5100's at 1.75? i measured the center of each rim to the fender. Technically there is exactly a 2.5 in difference between my front and rear. so the shocks shoudl "level'' it but with teh design of our bodies it may look like the front is higher. i dunno
I measured mine too and the front was definitely a 1/2" higher. Perhaps the springs are different? I thought the 4 leaf pack was all the same. Here is the picture from the side, it's not horrible but enough to bother me. If I'm on a rear incline it looks horrible because it makes it stand out! I just got the 1" Toytec yesterday.

Not terrible but noiticeable to me...1"2 higher in front.

Here is another. I am on an incline but it never looked THAT strange before in this parking spot. The front looks WAY higher...this is why I got the lift. Overall tires included it will be 3" higher than stock when I'm through

Old 02-29-2008, 04:01 AM   #20
Secret Agent
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok, well do i have any options for lifting the back other than blocks? I cant use an AAL since i already have the TSB
No one I've heard of is having any problems with the Toytec blocks. Check here: http://www.toyteclifts.com/0507tacoc...corearliftopts