Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100 suspension question

Old 12-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
hwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant future
hwork50's Tacoma Gallery
5100 suspension question

I just installed the 5100 suspension from the group buy. I bought the toyotec package and installed it with the coils in front and the aal in back. I did not put the AAL in as my mechanic thought it was too much.

My question is the back bottoms out when I go over speed bumps and it is really irritating as my other shocks did the same thing in the front which is why I got the new suspension. I did load the truck up with a lot of concrete a week earlier but that was prior to my new suspension.

Will the AAL fix this? Is there anything that could cause this?

Brent
Old 12-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
hwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant futurehwork50 has a brilliant future
hwork50's Tacoma Gallery
The front ones are totally fine. I think I have them set at like 2.5. The truck is totally level. I did call Toyotec and they said to put in the AAL and that should solve it.

I just dont want to jack up the rear as I love how the front responds and drives now.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
hwork50's Tacoma Gallery
I am using the eibach coils that came with the group buy.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
you definatly need to change the setting if you have them @ 2.5 go "0" and the AAL made a big diff when I put it in my '05
Old 12-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
ya the most you should do when pairing up those larger springs with the 5100's is .85" for the shocks. the eibach springs are already longer offering lift but your extending the shocks at the same time which isnt the best idea.

where did you get the install done, the person should have known how to do it properly?

then for the rear: when you do the aal it will help with the bottoming out. this is toyotas solution as well to the bottoming out by adding an extra leaf in the back, obviously not that same one as toytec has, but it helps with the issue

adding: if you want to get a little more from the front lift look on toytecs website and get the 1/2" top plate spacer and have the shop install the longer studs when they change your 5100 settings.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
ya the most you should do when pairing up those larger springs with the 5100's is .85" for the shocks. the eibach springs are already longer offering lift but your extending the shocks at the same time which isnt the best idea.

where did you get the install done, the person should have known how to do it properly?

then for the rear: when you do the aal it will help with the bottoming out. this is toyotas solution as well to the bottoming out by adding an extra leaf in the back, obviously not that same one as toytec has, but it helps with the issue
x2!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
hwork50's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys I will let my guy know.

Brent
Old 12-02-2009, 03:34 AM   #11
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
My homemade spring compressor was stressing when I put the 1.6 eibachs at .85. I think 2.5 would have broke mine.
I am sure the shop compressors could do it but I bet it is like riding with a solid front end!!
They have a 2" and a 1 1/2" AAL I went with the 2" and it did raise the back more than I hoped for.
I do expect some settling.