1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recommended time frame

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Poke Tako, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Dec 2, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    Poke Tako

Poke Tako [OP] Mall CRAWLer.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Hello everyone!!!
    I will be upgrading my current suspension lift (3" Tough Country that consists of stock coils and shocks, strut spacers, AAL) to Bilstein 5100 shocks on front and rear with Old Man Emu 885 coil springs up front.
    After installing my new set up, what would be a recommended time frame to wait for the OME 885 coil springs to settle in to get an alignment done? Or should I get an alignment done right after the installation?
    Thank you!!!

2. Dec 2, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Always get the alignment soon after the installation.

3. Dec 2, 2009 at 6:45 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...Springs shouldn't settle that much and you are going to want to get it aligned PDQ after changing the geometry and cracking the suspension apart like that.

4. Dec 2, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    Poke Tako

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Thanks for the replies. It looks like I would need to get an alignment done as soon as possible after the installation.
    Since the possibility of the OME 885 coils will settle a little, does anyone else think differently?

5. Dec 2, 2009 at 7:17 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Have you looked at a local Firestone or other "big box" type place...They usually have a lifetime or year long unlimited alignment.

I paid like 135 for lifetime alignments thru Firestone on both my cars...They looked at me a bit funny when I brought it in three times in two weeks....but they did the work!!

6. Dec 2, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    Poke Tako

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Wow, I didn't know that Firestone has that kind of alignment offers.
    Do you or anyone know if having alignment done multiple times on our Tacos causes any damage or worn out any components in the long run?

7. Dec 3, 2009 at 5:31 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't get it aligned daily- but occsanional alignments will help tires and other parts by keeping them set where they should be.

I was working on my suspension and made several changes over a couple weeks time frame. But usually I'll ge tit done every 6 months or before major road trips. If I have a gnarly offroad trip I'll get it checked too.

Products Discussed in

To Top