Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5 Lug Lift Revisited...Idea on Options

Old 02-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
alextreme76 is on a distinguished road

alextreme76's Tacoma Gallery
5 Lug Lift Revisited...Idea on Options

So I was looking at the service manual for the 5 lug and 6 lug front suspensions, everyone keeps saying they are TOTALLY different setups, but they look like the same basic coilover with different lengths (which dictates different control arms). I cant find anyone that has seriously looked at the spacer leveling kits for the 5 lug from a 6 lug. So has anyone looked at the dimensions and is there a difference so a 6 lug spacer wont fit?

Can someone with a 6 lug get me some dimension info on the upper bolts so I can compare it to our 5 lug.

5 lug left 6 lug right

Old 02-29-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a draftsman so maybe I'm picking up differences faster than the average mortal but I see several differences in that picture.

Looking at the size of the bolts on the bottom I'd say the scale of the parts is different so the right one is much longer. and probably wider.
The mounting surfaces at the top are completely different.
The number of coils is about double so a spacer designed for that long coil would probably reduce the amount of travel to something less than acceptible.

But those are potential problems which isn't what you asked for. If you're just going for looks you can probably get away with a lot. If you're planning on off roading I'd be careful using parts not designed for your suspension.
Good luck with your research!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
alextreme76 is on a distinguished road

alextreme76's Tacoma Gallery
i see what you are are talking about, but length of bolts and there location on top of the coilover is the only real factor for most spacers. a coilover spacer usually sits atop the coil over, not inside, so the shock still has the factory amount of travel, its has just been relocated to a lower hanging position. i wouldnt stick like a daystar kit inside the coilover, most of the spacer kits i have seen for 6 lugs look to be a top mount spacer anyway.

the only real problems with a spacer on top of the coilover would be the grade of the mounting bolts on the coilover, but sheer force shouldnt be anymore or little less than a prerunner, with a 31.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
That makes me so happy. I'm willing to bet that the 6 lug coils would bolt onto the 5 lug suspension and just might provide the added lift. It all depends on if the bolts line up and if the oal is not too much longer.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:06 AM   #5
tacomanub08 is on a distinguished road

tacomanub08's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomanub08
wow, that's awesome... thanks gm3bow