Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

longest rear shackles without modifying exhaust

Old 12-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
gsanderson is on a distinguished road
gsanderson's Tacoma Gallery
longest rear shackles without modifying exhaust

What is the maximum length rear shackle that can be installed on a
first gen 4wd without modifying the exhaust...

I want an additional inch of lift on the rear and would like to use shackles but do not want to interfere with the exhaust...

from my review I think I need a 5.5" long rear shackle as the stock is 3.5" long...
Old 12-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. For every 2" longer the shackle is, you get 1" lift...
Old 12-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
thats what I did. got mine from toytec. i like it a lot. I cut my tailpipe though and its not a big deal at all. I havnt noticed any problems with cvutting it.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i think with any shackle you purchase other than stock you'll need to *at a minimum* cut off the tip of the exhaust far enough back so as its out of the way

you can also reroute it...but it sounds like you dont want to do that...

its been so long since i cut mine though so i dont recall exactly how close it is to the leaf springs and at what point you'd interfere
Old 12-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
jlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jen
jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jlvhrse
With the longer shackles you might want to consider installing taller bumps so you don't negative arch your springs on compression.