1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AAL question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Masada, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Dec 4, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    Masada

Masada [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I was looking around on Wheelersoffroad.com and saw the AAL.

What is the difference between the AAL and the 3 leaf progressive AAL?

Is one better than the other? Why?

They both advertise 1.5" in lift.

Thanks for the help...I'm trying to figure out how I want to lift the back end of my truck...

2. Dec 4, 2009 at 3:21 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    I believe the 3 leaf is a 3 leaf pack to replace your one overload leaf to provide a smoother ride but idk:confused:

3. Dec 5, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    A few years ago i was debating an AAL or a full leaf pack, and asked Wheelers that question. The single AAL is a long leaf that (I think) installs between the top leaf and the rest of the pack. It'll help a bit with the max load cap. and you keep the overload leaf. The 3 leaf AAL fits on the bottom of the leaf pack and replaces the overload leaf, so you lose some carrying capacity. The wheeler's guy told me that since I have a cap on the back he wouldn't recommend the 3 leaf. Hope this helps.

4. Dec 5, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    SCMtaco

SCMtaco Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, ICON Coilovers, Wheelers add-a-leaf w/ 5100s, Black Rock wheels w/ 285/70/17 Firestone Destinationa AT's, USA Spec iPod connector
    Yeah I've been talking with Dan at Wheelers and he said "The single leaf is better for hauling. It will stiffen up the rear about 10-15%."

5. Dec 5, 2009 at 7:02 PM
    Masada

Masada [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Ok so if I want about 1.5" lift in the back the singe AAL would be better?

6. Dec 6, 2009 at 6:10 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Basically the way it was explained to me is, if you frequently haul heavy loads or if you have a cap on the back full time, it's better to go with the single AAL. If you don't have a cap and aren't worried about heavy loads, the 3 leaf seems like it's a little more reactive and maybe a little easier to install, since you don't have to pry open the retainers for the top 3 leaves.

7. Dec 6, 2009 at 6:37 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    BTW- With the extended UBolts- you can make the Overload leaf and the 3 pack fit together. Probably negates a bit of the effect of the 3 leaf pack for flex...but it retains that overload spring.

Products Discussed in

To Top