Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

making my own lift blocks

Old 12-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
gsanderson is on a distinguished road
gsanderson's Tacoma Gallery
making my own lift blocks

Just installed new rear leafs and they gave me about 1.5" of lift as they are 4 leaf packs...

I think I want another inch or so...

I plan to take the bottom leaf off of the original set, which is about 1" thick and cut it to the appropriate length...
I will buy new center bolts and u-Bolts and attache this to the bottom of the new leafs packs...

The new leaf packs also gave me a lean to the passengers side in the rear only and it is about 0.5" so I plan to cut a potion of one of the original leafs, which is about 0.5 thick, and add it to the block to raise the passenger side rear...

Any thoughts on this... has anyone else done this... I was thinking about getting a shop to cut some blocks but hey I have the metal in front of me and the means to cut it...
Old 12-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't heard of many people making their own blocks but it seems simple enough. Just make sure the material you use will be durable enough to go through the stress of flexing and weight etc...Post up pics when it finished if you decide to do it
Old 12-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
ha that shit is spring steel good luck cutting it
Old 12-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
ha nothing... cut one with a saw zaw and a metal blade... just to see how hard it was
of course the easiest was with the plasma... that cuts through it like butter
Old 12-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
So...Your gonna cut your Over load leaf and make a block out of it?....And you gonna stack a couple together? Just checking to see if I got this right...
Old 12-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
No words can describe how terrible this idea is.
Try shackles, or maybe a leaf pack, I don't recommend it man.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
So...Your gonna cut your Over load leaf and make a block out of it?....And you gonna stack a couple together? Just checking to see if I got this right...
old overload leaf is what I cut and am considering using as blocks with the new packs...
Old 12-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Eh?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsanderson View Post
old overload leaf is what I cut and am considering using as blocks with the new packs...
Ok then....I cant say I ever tried it, so keep us posted..
Old 12-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsanderson View Post
ha nothing... cut one with a saw zaw and a metal blade... just to see how hard it was
of course the easiest was with the plasma... that cuts through it like butter
i cut a leaf on my K5 to make a bamf spanner wrench and plasma was the only way to do it... i cut it to length with a bandsaw and what a pain in the ass. It wasnt the overload it was one of the springs, dont know if the overload is spring steel...