Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Leveling with 5100s versus Eibachs with 5100s

Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
spiceman will become famous soon enough

Navy: Engineer
spiceman's Tacoma Gallery
Leveling with 5100s versus Eibachs with 5100s

I have an '07 DC 4x4 OR and I was thinking of leveling the front to rear. Currently the rear is 2" higher. From the wheel center, rear 22.5" and front 20.5". What would be the advantages or disadvangtes of using Eibach coils with 5100s on all for corners with the fronts set at zero, or just four 5100s with the fronts set at .85 or 1.75? The rear is stock (no TSB). Would I be able to get the alignment in specs with OEM UCAs? And would I need a Diff drop kit? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
bucksnort06 will become famous soon enough
Name: pete
bucksnort06's Tacoma Gallery
I was just in the same situation as you as I wanted to level out my truck after TSB.. I went ahead and bought 5100s planning on setting them at 1.75.. I then decided that I would most likely get a better ride if I set these 5100s at 0" and leveled the truck with the eibach coils.. I have both at my house now just waiting to get installed.. I did alot of reading on this site amd some people say the 5100s at 1.75, or 2.5" can make ur front end alot stiffer.. Hopefully someone thats has done these will chime in..
Old 12-10-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
jester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jester156's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jester156
5100 with eibach's can only be set at 0.85" max as the spring adds 1.6" with the billy's set at 0. the higher u raise the front the more you are compressing your springs making the ride rougher. I have 5100 at 0.85" with eibach's and the ride is just wonderful, no stiffer than stock and could even but a bit smoother.
you will have no issues with alignment as long as the front stays under 2.5-3inches. camber seems to be the real issue with alignment over 3"
Old 12-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Eibachs on my stock trd billys. They made the truck ride and handle a lot better but I only got about 1 inch of lift. Could be a limitation of using the stock shocks not sure.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
I have the Eibachs on my stock trd billys. They made the truck ride and handle a lot better but I only got about 1 inch of lift. Could be a limitation of using the stock shocks not sure.
Yeah that extra .85 from the 5100's would help alot...
Old 12-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
atmotocrosser is on a distinguished road
Name: Greg
atmotocrosser's Tacoma Gallery
I had the dealer install 5100s at all four corners when they did the TSB on the rear springs. I have the fronts set at 1.75 with no harsh riding issues or problems putting it within factory allignment specs using the stock UCAs.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester156 View Post
5100 with eibach's can only be set at 0.85" max as the spring adds 1.6" with the billy's set at 0. the higher u raise the front the more you are compressing your springs making the ride rougher. I have 5100 at 0.85" with eibach's and the ride is just wonderful, no stiffer than stock and could even but a bit smoother.
you will have no issues with alignment as long as the front stays under 2.5-3inches. camber seems to be the real issue with alignment over 3"
Thanks!
If I went with the Eibachs and Billys I would set the Billys at zero for 1.6" of lift with the Springs. If I went with just the Billys I would set them at .85 to keep from making the stock springs too harsh with all the pre-load. If I get 1.6" out of the Eibachs it would be close to level. I was wandering of the advantages and disadvantages between these two options.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
Do you know why you only got 1" from the Eibachs? They claim 1.6", which would be a nice level with the current 2" of rake?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
taco?
MotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: emt/cal fire
Name: Nate
MotoXdoer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceman View Post
Thanks!
If I went with the Eibachs and Billys I would set the Billys at zero for 1.6" of lift with the Springs. If I went with just the Billys I would set them at .85 to keep from making the stock springs too harsh with all the pre-load. If I get 1.6" out of the Eibachs it would be close to level. I was wandering of the advantages and disadvantages between these two options.
i have the eibach 1.6 coils and 5100s waiting to install. coils with the 5100s set at .85 is just under 2.5in of lift. i would recommend swaping for the eibachs or get some ome 885 with 5100 set at 0.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:00 AM   #10
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceman View Post
Do you know why you only got 1" from the Eibachs? They claim 1.6", which would be a nice level with the current 2" of rake?
No idea man I was kinda puzzled about this myself. I am putting in the 1/4 inch top spacer this weekend (to correct the taco lean) and I will take new measurements.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I did eibach springs, 5100's set at 0", and the Toytec top plate spacers for an extra 3/4" of lift. It lifted the front right at 2.5".

It lifts the truck essentially the same as eibachs and 5100's set at 0.85" but I didn't want to preload the springs. I wanted the springs as flexy as possible for trail wheeling.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
Liberty Or Death
SMSmithy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMSmithy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMSmithy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMSmithy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMSmithy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMSmithy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMSmithy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMSmithy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMSmithy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMSmithy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMSmithy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Aviation Structural Mechanic Third Class, VFA 81
Name: Sam
SMSmithy's Tacoma Gallery
I have 5100 all around and have the fronts set at 1.75. stock springs . The ride is softer in my opinion... and it looks bad ass too!