Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How bad is a 1/2" top plate spacer

Old 12-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
CJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to behold
Army: RN-Army Reserve 66H
Name: Clint
CJH9980's Tacoma Gallery
How bad is a 1/2" top plate spacer

I currently have these parts sitting on my living room floor:

Front/Rear 5100s
Eibach 1.6" springs
Toytec 1/2" top plate spacers
Toytec 2" AAL
LR UCAs

my original plan was to set the billys @ .85" with the eibachs and the top plate spacers, which would put me right at a 3" lift up front.

Now I'm questioning the spacers, because everything I read about spacers is negative. Will a spacer as small as this cause me any problems such as shock breakage or ball joint wear?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
When you say....1/2" top plate spacer....

Is that the TOTAL lift amount that they advertise?
Or
Is that how thick the spacer is?

If that's the total lift amount... 1/2" is fine.

But, if the spacer is 1/2" thick in actual size...that's 1" of lift and I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
CJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to behold
CJH9980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

Or

But, if the spacer is 1/2" thick in actual size...that's 1" of lift and I wouldn't recommend it.
It's advertised as giving 3/4" total,
Old 12-10-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJH9980 View Post
I currently have these parts sitting on my living room floor:

Front/Rear 5100s
Eibach 1.6" springs
Toytec 1/2" top plate spacers
Toytec 2" AAL
LR UCAs
Thats the setup I am going to be going with when I have to replace my stock shocks. You should be fine man!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
CJH9980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
Thats the setup I am going to be going with when I have to replace my stock shocks. You should be fine man!
Thanks man! It's good to hear some positive feedback. I got to reading about spacers breaking ball joints, etc..and got a little worried! I can't wait to get all this stuff installed and take some pics!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:11 AM   #6
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJH9980 View Post
Thanks man! It's good to hear some positive feedback. I got to reading about spacers breaking ball joints, etc..and got a little worried! I can't wait to get all this stuff installed and take some pics!
All the bad talk is about the 2.5 to 3.0 inch top plate spacers.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
CJH9980's Tacoma Gallery
Earlier today I went to autozone to grab a "free" spring compressor, but the thing looked pretty shitty. Those springs are pretty stout, and I'd hate to have the compressor break on me. I called a suspension shop and they said they'd assemble the shocks/coils for $40. I'm gonna run by there tomorrow and get em put together.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Those little top plate spacers are fine. They are not big enough to be a weak link. That's what I use to get that extra 3/4" of lift because I didn't want to pre-load the springs by setting the 5100's at 0.85". I want them as flexy as possible for trail wheeling.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Or

Why is it like that? What I mean is why would the total lift(1") be ~twice the size of the actual(1/2") spacer?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post
Why is it like that? What I mean is why would the total lift(1") be ~twice the size of the actual(1/2") spacer?
The spacer is closer to the pivot points at the base of the control arms than the tires.

To visualize, stick your arm straight out in front of you. Lift your arm so that your elbow rises about 1/2" from the starting point. Your hand actually raised a couple of inches though with the same move.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDBoy View Post
The spacer is closer to the pivot points at the base of the control arms than the tires.

To visualize, stick your arm straight out in front of you. Lift your arm so that your elbow rises about 1/2" from the starting point. Your hand actually raised a couple of inches though with the same move.
Thanks! LOL that was easy to understand.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
gonzo6up has a spectacular aura aboutgonzo6up has a spectacular aura about

gonzo6up's Tacoma Gallery
i ran a 5/8" spacer that my buddy made for me on three of my previous tacomas( 95.5/ 97/ 01 models) and never had any issues. On my 97 model i put about 90K miles on it for a total of 198K and i had to replace the CV boots. I can't really blame the spacers though since the truck had 175K miles on it when i replaced them.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #13

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo6up View Post
i ran a 5/8" spacer that my buddy made for me on three of my previous tacomas( 95.5/ 97/ 01 models) and never had any issues. On my 97 model i put about 90K miles on it for a total of 198K and i had to replace the CV boots. I can't really blame the spacers though since the truck had 175K miles on it when i replaced them.
Any type of lift is equally hard on CV boots. The only determining factor on wear of CV boots is the height of the lift, not the lift type. The cure to that problem is a diff drop kit.

With that many miles though, things start needing replacement whether you took perfect care of them or not.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks for explaining that. I figured someone was gonna ask about that (they always do).
Old 12-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #15
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Good description! Rep for you
Old 12-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Any type of lift is equally hard on CV boots. The only determining factor on wear of CV boots is the height of the lift, not the lift type. The cure to that problem is a diff drop kit.

With that many miles though, things start needing replacement whether you took perfect care of them or not.
A diff drop doesnt really "Cure" the CV angle issue. By lowering the front of the diff 1", it is afectivly only lowering the drive shaft where it enters the diff 1/2". That 1/2" drop spread over the 13 or so inches of the front drive shafts, is only about 2* change or so. Many folks have had increased vibes due to the diff drop. Personally, I think its best left off, unless vibes are present. If the CV angle is poor, lower the amount of lift.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #17
CJH9980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Those little top plate spacers are fine. They are not big enough to be a weak link. That's what I use to get that extra 3/4" of lift because I didn't want to pre-load the springs by setting the 5100's at 0.85". I want them as flexy as possible for trail wheeling.
Awesome. that makes me feel a lot better about the setup
Old 12-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #18
CJH9980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for explaining that. I figured someone was gonna ask about that (they always do).
Actually, it was going to be my next question
Old 12-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #20

Law Enforcement:
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
A diff drop doesnt really "Cure" the CV angle issue. By lowering the front of the diff 1", it is afectivly only lowering the drive shaft where it enters the diff 1/2". That 1/2" drop spread over the 13 or so inches of the front drive shafts, is only about 2* change or so. Many folks have had increased vibes due to the diff drop. Personally, I think its best left off, unless vibes are present. If the CV angle is poor, lower the amount of lift.
I find it hard to imagine dropping the diff to keep it closer to stock geometry could cause problems. Buutttt, I believe you though. I'm sure it does occasionally happen. Every truck is different.

My personal philosophy is to keep the angles as close to stock as possible. That 2* may get an extra 10,000 miles out of those cv's. Who knows?