1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB Bumper With Stock Suspension?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Rooty, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Dec 11, 2009 at 3:37 AM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper with Foglights, IPF 968 Driving Lights, Color Matched Grill Surround and Eyelids, Grillcraft Grill with Custom Taco Emblem, Black Headlight Mod, EGR Hood Deflector and In Channel Rain Guards, Stock Wheels Painted Black, BFG TA/KO's in 265/75/R16, Debadged, Stubbs Welding HDSKO Sliders, Front Windows Tint, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertec Floor Mats, Autolights Unlimited Smoked 3rd Brake and Tail Lights, Powdercoated Rear Bumper, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Factory Bed Mat, Compustar 1 way remote start
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

Hey I've got a new ARB bumper waiting for me when I get home from my work tour. I've been reading quite a bit on suspension trying to wrap my head around it all (I'm new to this). I've been digging for a few days now and haven't really found a good solution to my situation.

I have a 2010 SR5 access cab 4x4 so I'm pretty sure I have the bare bones stock suspension (I'm not at home so I can't check for sure). I'll probably be putting on a OME 3 in lift sometime next year but in the meantime I don't want the bumper causing any problems with my shocks. I see that most people are suggesting using 886 coils to counter the weight of this bumper. However most of these people seem to be lifted already. Is it possible to put 886's on stock shocks or should I? I won't be putting a winch on the bumper and I've read that the thing only weighs in at 80 pounds. Is that enough to justify stiffer springs? (I'm not certain what the stock springs rate is) Toytec only suggests the 886's for 200+ pounds of weight on the front so I don't want to have to deal with a stiffer ride unless I have to. I'm also concerned that if I can put 886's on the stock shocks it will rob them of all their down travel and make the front of the truck higher than the back since I'm not doing an AAL or anything yet.

Can anyone please give me a suggestion on what my options are? Do you think I could get away with stock shocks and springs until I get around to a lift, or is there a cheaper option I could get away with in the meantime? One thing I've considered is seeing how much the sag is after I install the bumper and getting some cheap non OME springs to counter it but I don't know how I would gauge spring rate to make up the difference.

Thanks for any help anyone can give. I'm sorry if I've missed something obvious in my searching but as I said this is all fresh info for me so I appreciate you bearing with a noobie

2. Dec 11, 2009 at 3:40 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    while my truck may be a 2002...i initially put my ARB (no winch) on a stock suspension setup...had zero issues...no noticeable increase in nose dive while braking...no sagging...nothing of the sort

i realize the suspension has changed a bit since then...but...the weight of the bumper itself is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be

3. Dec 11, 2009 at 4:20 AM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper with Foglights, IPF 968 Driving Lights, Color Matched Grill Surround and Eyelids, Grillcraft Grill with Custom Taco Emblem, Black Headlight Mod, EGR Hood Deflector and In Channel Rain Guards, Stock Wheels Painted Black, BFG TA/KO's in 265/75/R16, Debadged, Stubbs Welding HDSKO Sliders, Front Windows Tint, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertec Floor Mats, Autolights Unlimited Smoked 3rd Brake and Tail Lights, Powdercoated Rear Bumper, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Factory Bed Mat, Compustar 1 way remote start
    Well that's encouraging, thanks Tiger.

Do you think the 80 pound estimate is a close one?

4. Jan 19, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    gfiber

gfiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    Did you install the ARB? I have been thinking of one for the 2009 DBL cab with the sport suspension under it. I don't want to change the suspension right now but would like the bumper.

Gary k8IZ

5. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    you cannot add OME coils on stock shocks. It wont work. So if you do plan to get new coils, plan on getting the shocks to go with them. Give whoever you got the bumper from a call and see how much it actually weighs to know for sure.

6. Jan 22, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    Yup got it installed. It really isn't that heavy without the winch. I didn't notice any (maybe just a tiny bit) of a drop in the front after the install. Handles fine too, no sway in the corners or diving during breaking. I'd recommend getting the bumper now if you want it, I'm glad I did.

7. Jan 22, 2010 at 9:38 PM
    thegrandpoohbah

thegrandpoohbah Well-Known Member

Member:
    Terrace, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport
    Good to know. I'm planning on doing the same thing (ARB bumper with stock suspension) as soon as I get my Tacoma. Keep us posted on how it rides and handles long term.

8. Jan 23, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    gfiber

gfiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    Thanks Rooty and others, that information is good to know.

If I were to change the front end suspension I'd probably buy the entire kit not make something work with stock stuff.

Now to get the ARB ordered it looks to be stronger than the All-Pro bumper and thats what I want. No winch for right now. I have heard the ARB is back ordered for 4 to 6 weeks from ARB, they are local to me. Still have to purchase through a dealer but that can accomodate a will call pick-up which saves some shipping.

9. Jan 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    Got Tacoma

Got Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gila
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl. Cab Sb 4 x 4 Trd
    Undercover Tonneau, Roof Rack, ABR Bumper, Warn 9.5xp, OME 886, Dakar leaf springs, Bilstein 5100 Struts and shocks
    I e mailed ARB and they said the bumper weighs 150lbs without a winch

10. Jan 28, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    They are the only bumpers that have been tested to be airbag compliant too. (required in Australia where they are made) I only had to wait about a week through trdparts4u they were the cheapest too at around 1200 bucks shipped. I tried to source one locally as I like to keep my business at home when I can but they were coming in at about 500 bucks more...I couldn't justify that.

Thats what I should have done lol. Its hard to tell when they are all in separate pieces. At any rate, I don't think the 886's are necessary unless you are running a winch. I may be proved wrong though if my shocks blow out in 1000 miles. For now though everything is riding titties.

11. Jan 28, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    how heavy is your bumper???? go sit on your hood and see what happens..probably not much:)

12. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    :thumbsup:

the ARB (IMO) is far stronger than the All-pro

i have YET to see a thread on any forum about the all-pro standing up to a direct hit with a deer at 60mph

ive seen threads concerning this with both ARB and Shrockworks

Products Discussed in

To Top