Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Have you developed VIBES or Humm/Buzz Since Lifting?

View Poll Results: Have you developed VIBES or Humm/Buzz Since Lifting?
I've never had any vibrations since lifting. 113 26.59%
Yes I have the vibrations since lifting. 273 64.24%
Had the vibrations but fixed them (please post to explain) 21 4.94%
Yes I had the vibrations, but even before I lifted. 18 4.24%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #101
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Takeoff shudder from 0 - 10 mph. Shimmed the carrier bearing with 1/4" of washers and gone. No vibes at any other speeds.

In my opinion, most carrier bearing drop brackets on the market drop way too much. Looking at my driveshaft and CB position, a 2 inch or more drop would've force it too far in the other direction.

I say try shimming 1/4" to 1/2" with grade 8 washers before looking into a full blooded drop bracket for the CB. I might see if I can get beefed to make me a custom 1/4" one.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #102
Truck guy
spamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud of
spamy's Tacoma Gallery
Unistrut washers work great for shims. If you dont have a workplace that has them laying around everywhere they are available at homedepot in the electrical department usually.

http://www.talleycom.com/store/image...619-38_big.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Have you developed VIBES or Humm/Buzz Since Lifting?-ldrps619-38_big.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 AM   #103
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
these are my vibs and none of it happens in the steering wheel all of it is in the truck

Glad that's fixed.

Looked pretty ugly.

Not fixed!? Good luck finding the problem. Hopefully it's a little better than the vid, anyway.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #104
Reepur is on a distinguished road
Reepur's Tacoma Gallery
Strange result but worked.

First, I had the 40-50 mph vibration (hum) from the floorboard which goes away in 4 wheel drive after I did my lift. Read here it most likely is the diff bearing.

So I tried a 1" diff drop, and OMG it made it 10x worse! Vibration from 10-60 mph and a whah whah whah feeling around 50 mph. So I yanked off the diff drop and it went back to the 40-50 mph hum.

Today, just taking a shot in the dark, I installed Toytec 3 deg shims on the rear. ....... and it worked! No vibrations at any speed. Doesn't make since to me but I am not going to complain.

Reg Cab 4x4 2.7 4 banger
2.5" Billie lift, DSM UCA's, with 1.5" AAL
Old 02-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #105
DirtRoadCommute is on a distinguished road

DirtRoadCommute's Tacoma Gallery
In the poll, I selected, "Had the vibrations but fixed them (please post to explain)."

This is my explanation.

I have a 2WD DC Prerunner. After I installed a 4" Camburg spindle lift in the front and a 3", 11-leaf spring pack from All Pro Offroad in the rear, I had a drive line vibration from 0-45 mph. I installed 4-degree axle shims to correct the pinion angle and the vibrations disappeared. No carrier bearing drop was needed.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #107
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
sonjay, I have spent many hours reading many threads on issues such as the one you reported. Your problem is unique to 4x4 tacos and has been around for a long time. There exists a very long thread at TN dating back to 2007 detailing the problem and solution.I believe your left front axle and or front diff is the problem. It has been said that the lift does not cause the problem, but somehow amplifies existing conditions to cause excess wear on the left front axle. The solution for many is to replace the axle and front diff.Please refer to this thread and read it throughly. You'll find your solution there. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/56236-front-end-growling-noise.html Hopefully this helps.
Thanks, subbed
Old 11-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #109
Eesh is on a distinguished road
Eesh's Tacoma Gallery
Question

I think a good question is.... Are the long boxes or short boxes more susceptible to vibes?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #110
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eesh View Post
I think a good question is.... Are the long boxes or short boxes more susceptible to vibes?
Lifted ones , yes
Old 11-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #111
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
I had bad vibes after LT. I added 4 degree shims and now i only have slight vibe at 12mph. I use 1/4 inch washers on my cb bracket
Old 11-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #112
yodaman will become famous soon enough
Marines: Infantry Sergeant
yodaman's Tacoma Gallery
Vibes at 20 and 40 mph. Toyota completed the 20 mph TSB. Still had vibes. Just yesterday driveline company diagnosed it as the spider gear near the driver side tire. They do not believe that my 3 inch lift would have caused this. My truck is out of warranty but Toyota is still going to fix it because I had it documented with their dealership. I will tryand update for everyone. Driveline shop has seen a few lately. The best part is toyota has inspected my truck 3 times. Driveline shop inspected it for one hour and found the problem AND it was free.

(so far I have fixed the 1000 rpm cold vibe, ticking blower, squeaky seat, and my cold/hot air switch...keep em coming)
Old 11-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #113
yodaman will become famous soon enough
Marines: Infantry Sergeant
yodaman's Tacoma Gallery
Appointment with Toyota today went great. 4th time at their dealership. Today they stated it was the front differential. Going back next week to have it replaced with 1000 miles left until my warranty expires. Frustrating it took so long, 4 inspections, countless hours of reading online, and finally having to go to a driveline shop.

Looking forward to next week. I may start another post with my results in anyone is interested.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #114
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Somewhat weirdly - my vibes are worse since regearing from 4.10 to 4.88.

I suppose it makes since since the driveshaft is spinning 20% faster at any given speed. Still annoying, though.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #115
TacomaChris has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaChris has a spectacular aura about

TacomaChris's Tacoma Gallery
I recently lifted my doublecab Prerunner and have some slight vibes from 15-25 mph. I lifted it 4.85 up front by way of Camburg spindles and .85 on my 5100s. 4 inches was lifted in the rear by way of All-Pro Expo springs. I decided to take some measurements prior to diving in and buying shims or a carrier bearing drop.

I've come to the conclusion that I can put a 3 degree shim in the rear that will bring the angle to a more optimal 3.9 degrees (6.9 - 3). This should cure my small vibes. A few other things to note:

- My trans output to my 1st shaft is at 3.5 degrees as shown in the picture above. This angle could not change with my lift as both the transmission and carrier bearing are on fixed mounts...so this angle would stay the same post lift.

- I could also throw in a small carrier bearing drop (washers) in a addition to the shims; however, bringing the carrier bearing down will also cause my trans to first driveshaft angle to increase while decreasing my 1st to 2nd shaft angle....by my calculations. Not sure if I want this as my factory trans to 1st shaft angle at 3.5 degrees already seems a bit high. We'll see

All in all I'm ordering the 3 degree ToyTec shims this weekend and I'll take new measurements once installed. Thoughts?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #116
TacomaChris has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaChris has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaChris View Post
I recently lifted my doublecab Prerunner and have some slight vibes from 15-25 mph. I lifted it 4.85 up front by way of Camburg spindles and .85 on my 5100s. 4 inches was lifted in the rear by way of All-Pro Expo springs. I decided to take some measurements prior to diving in and buying shims or a carrier bearing drop.

I've come to the conclusion that I can put a 3 degree shim in the rear that will bring the angle to a more optimal 3.9 degrees (6.9 - 3). This should cure my small vibes. A few other things to note:

- My trans output to my 1st shaft is at 3.5 degrees as shown in the picture above. This angle could not change with my lift as both the transmission and carrier bearing are on fixed mounts...so this angle would stay the same post lift.

- I could also throw in a small carrier bearing drop (washers) in a addition to the shims; however, bringing the carrier bearing down will also cause my trans to first driveshaft angle to increase while decreasing my 1st to 2nd shaft angle....by my calculations. Not sure if I want this as my factory trans to 1st shaft angle at 3.5 degrees already seems a bit high. We'll see

All in all I'm ordering the 3 degree ToyTec shims this weekend and I'll take new measurements once installed.
Bump...what do you experts think? Am I on the right track?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #117
Truck guy
spamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud of
spamy's Tacoma Gallery
I believe this original post was about front end vibration on 4WD trucks.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #118
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
mine comes and goes at around 35-40 mph, especially when its cold....yeah I know weird. when I turn my wheel to the left it makes a hum every 3 seconds but not with the tire rotation, I only lifted 1.75 with the 5100's and I want to get the eibach coils to go up an inch but I am scared with this vibe and no the vibe doesnt go away in 4wd. I was thinking wheel bearing but I checked it and its fine.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamy View Post
I believe this original post was about front end vibration on 4WD trucks.
I believe you are wrong - the original post says nothing about vibes just for 4 wheel drive trucks. Mine is lifted w/vibes so I posted
Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #120
Truck guy
spamy's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry kid. Good luck.

Products Discussed in this Thread