Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Have you developed VIBES or Humm/Buzz Since Lifting?

View Poll Results: Have you developed VIBES or Humm/Buzz Since Lifting?
I've never had any vibrations since lifting. 113 26.59%
Yes I have the vibrations since lifting. 273 64.24%
Had the vibrations but fixed them (please post to explain) 21 4.94%
Yes I had the vibrations, but even before I lifted. 18 4.24%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #121
KingMoo is on a distinguished road
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
I have some pretty bad vibes after my non-TSB 2"AAL install. They're anywhere around 20mph. I didn't have any vibs after lifting the front. The AAL did it.

I didn't follow the instructions very well however. I dropped the entire rear axle and worked on both AALs at the same time...
Old 12-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #122
dmcnealy22 is on a distinguished road

dmcnealy22's Tacoma Gallery
Lifted the front with 5100's last week at 1.75 to level the front of non tsb rear.... leveled it but it had a pretty noticeable front diff whine and vibrations from 20 till about 45 mph .... Just dropped it down to .85 and it netted just about an inch ... whine went away and vibrations are very very light and I think those are from the new tires honestly. Front now sits 1 in lower than rear
Old 01-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #123
TacomaChris has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaChris has a spectacular aura about

TacomaChris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaChris View Post
I recently lifted my doublecab Prerunner and have some slight vibes from 15-25 mph. I lifted it 4.85 up front by way of Camburg spindles and .85 on my 5100s. 4 inches was lifted in the rear by way of All-Pro Expo springs. I decided to take some measurements prior to diving in and buying shims or a carrier bearing drop.

I've come to the conclusion that I can put a 3 degree shim in the rear that will bring the angle to a more optimal 3.9 degrees (6.9 - 3). This should cure my small vibes. A few other things to note:

- My trans output to my 1st shaft is at 3.5 degrees as shown in the picture above. This angle could not change with my lift as both the transmission and carrier bearing are on fixed mounts...so this angle would stay the same post lift.

- I could also throw in a small carrier bearing drop (washers) in a addition to the shims; however, bringing the carrier bearing down will also cause my trans to first driveshaft angle to increase while decreasing my 1st to 2nd shaft angle....by my calculations. Not sure if I want this as my factory trans to 1st shaft angle at 3.5 degrees already seems a bit high. We'll see

All in all I'm ordering the 3 degree ToyTec shims this weekend and I'll take new measurements once installed. Thoughts?
Well, I'm glad I took the measurements posted above. I installed my 3 degree shims this weekend and the vibes are completely gone just as I thought. It's very important to take measurements so that you know just where to decrease/increase your angles and which accessories to purchase
Old 01-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #124
Irish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Irish020's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Noise Only

Just the sound of AT Tires on pavement...

Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #125
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, I'm glad I took the measurements posted above. I installed my 3 degree shims this weekend and the vibes are completely gone just as I thought. It's very important to take measurements so that you know just where to decrease/increase your angles and which accessories to purchase
could someone please explain the easiest way to go about getting these measurements?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #126
Sgtfluffy16 is on a distinguished road

Name: Corey
Sgtfluffy16's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Sgtfluffy16
4.5 Inch RCD lift kit I had a vibration immediately after I lifted it. Used 1/2 inch 3/4 inch 1 inch 1.25 inch 1.50 inch and 1.75 spacers, Found a had a bad carrier bearing. Figured Id fix the problem by just doing a 1 piece driveshaft because 1 piece and stronger and better for wheeling. Put the 1 piece on and still had vibrations from 25-35 MPH and then again from 45-55MPH. The the 45-55 vibration is sometimes bad sometimes not as bad especially noticeable when on the gas from just a lil bit-WOT. Tried flipping my degreed blocks, tried 2, 3, and 4 degree shims all made it worse. Now I'm just running with the blocks in correct orientation and 1 piece driveshaft. figured I will just have to live with it. Anyone having similar issues?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #127
TacomaChris has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaChris has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMoo View Post
could someone please explain the easiest way to go about getting these measurements?
Sure...go buy a digital angle finder (with the magnetic edge) and use it to measure your driveshaft before and after you carrier bearing as well as the rear differential angle. I bought one at Harbor Freight for about $25. From here you should be able to figure out which angles are too extreme.

My pinion angle still isn't ideal - it's at about 3.9 degrees; however, once torque is applied it causes the rear differential to point upward thus reducing the angle even further when I'm driving. Either way my vibrations are gone so I'm happy. Good luck
Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #128
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
I'm experiencing a humming sound that comes and goes. It is not a constant hum, but rather a hum that hums every half-second. This occurred after I installed the AAL
Old 01-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #129
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
I have had zero issues with vibrations post lift. After reading christians post on the diff drops I was going to remove mine although I decided to leave them in fear of developing vibrations. I intalled ATO's bullet proof front skid and I have about 3/4" clearance between the skid and the drops
Old 01-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #130
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sure...go buy a digital angle finder (with the magnetic edge) and use it to measure your driveshaft before and after you carrier bearing as well as the rear differential angle. I bought one at Harbor Freight for about $25. From here you should be able to figure out which angles are too extreme.

My pinion angle still isn't ideal - it's at about 3.9 degrees; however, once torque is applied it causes the rear differential to point upward thus reducing the angle even further when I'm driving. Either way my vibrations are gone so I'm happy. Good luck
did you get the Digital Angle Gauge?

that's all I see at Harbor Freight. I found a digital angle finder at a local store but it's $89...
Old 02-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMoo View Post
did you get the Digital Angle Gauge?

that's all I see at Harbor Freight. I found a digital angle finder at a local store but it's $89...
Yes that's the one
Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #132
hanrock is on a distinguished road

Name: craig
hanrock's Tacoma Gallery
any one used the east coast gear bushing to solve the front diff bearing vibe i have the vibe in my 2012 dc lb 4x4 . there is a lot of play in the left front cv where it enters the differential vibe feels like when you hit the rumble strip on the highway but not quite that loud and comes and goes with bumps in the road turning or 4 high engagement
Old 12-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #133
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanrock View Post
any one used the east coast gear bushing to solve the front diff bearing vibe i have the vibe in my 2012 dc lb 4x4 . there is a lot of play in the left front cv where it enters the differential vibe feels like when you hit the rumble strip on the highway but not quite that loud and comes and goes with bumps in the road turning or 4 high engagement
I've had the bushing in my diff for almost 50k miles and it is def the fix.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #134
VancouverTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Cole
VancouverTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just buy Magnaflow offroad pro series cat back exhaust. so load the whole truck vibrates. covers up the driveshaft and CV vibes nicely
Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #135
Hummingbird
Foihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Foihdzas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
I've had the bushing in my diff for almost 50k miles and it is def the fix.
Good to hear. I'm installing mine next weekend. Hope it helps
Old 12-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #136
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery

OME 885s & Dakars.
3" front & 3" rear lift on my 4Banger AC.
No vibes & nothing done to prevent them (No CB drop, No axel shims).
Old 01-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #138
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Trowbocop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post

OME 885s & Dakars.
3" front & 3" rear lift on my 4Banger AC.
No vibes & nothing done to prevent them (No CB drop, No axel shims).
X2

OME 881s, nitrocharger sports. no problems
Old 01-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #139
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Installing a lift actually fixed the vibes/rattles my truck had.
OME 885s, OME struts/shocks, Dakar leaf packs with 3rd leaf removed.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #140
blmfirert is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Gary
blmfirert's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Have you developed VIBES or Humm/Buzz Since Lifting?

Yes. I have a 07 Tacoma access cap that I put a front 1.5 level kit on. Basically a taller spring cap on top of the spring. The vibration started the first time I drove it after the install. Took it back to Les Schwab and they said no way it must of had the vibe before we did the level kit (no). The tech took it for a drive and said must be something in the throttle body (what).
Bottom line I've been chasing it for the past 2 years and 20k miles. I'm interested in the ECGS fix but don't know how to do it.
Yes it's been to the dealer for every oil change and told to check for a front vibe each time. One time they put a chim under the tranny. But really all the visits say the same thing it's normal for the tacoma or it's your tires.
What to do. Will it go out on me?

Products Discussed in this Thread