1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Have you developed VIBES or Humm/Buzz Since Lifting?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Negative1, Dec 14, 2009.

?

Have you developed VIBES or Humm/Buzz Since Lifting?

1. I've never had any vibrations since lifting.

26.2%
  2. Yes I have the vibrations since lifting.

64.3%
  3. Had the vibrations but fixed them (please post to explain)

5.1%
  4. Yes I had the vibrations, but even before I lifted.

4.4%
  1. Dec 14, 2009 at 5:53 AM
    Negative1

Negative1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ok, So If any of you have developed a vibration or humm/buzz sound since installing your lift, I'm looking for your input on the poll.

This thread/poll is to gauge the % of affected trucks vs. the non affected trucks, post lifting....

More detailed info on the vibes and humm/buzz read the post below:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220615

You will know that there are clearly some issues that manifest after installing any kind of lift on some trucks, just not sure how many are affected across the general population.

Looking for your input on this poll.
    Thanks,

2. Dec 14, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Got the vibe under 40mph that goes away after engaging 4*4, I'm betting that I have the front diff bearing prob now in my truck.

If that's the case, not sure WTF toyota was thinking.. making major long term probs for us little 3 inch lift guys.

3. Dec 14, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    This is the stuff that makes me laugh. I don't know how Toyota did it...but it seems each truck is different. Cause you have a vibration that you think is at least somewhat related to the lift- and I haven't had any issues at all related to mine (cept for a little bit off rear end alignment when I bolted the AALs up) and there were no vibes ever.

4. Dec 14, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had a vibe around 40mph. A 1 piece driveshaft fixed the problem, also it fixed the take off shudder that I had after installing OME springs. I do have a vibe in the front end I need to look further into, I'm thinking its either a front wheel bearing or just my tires.

5. Dec 14, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    I had vibes since I drove the truck off of the lot brand new. They weren't that bad and would only shake between 0-10mph. I just got used to it. After I lifted my truck, I had vibes between 60-65mph, but my new UCA's cured that problem. I then installed the carrier bearing drop and my 0-10mph vibes are gone.

6. Dec 14, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    :popcorn: I wanna know some fixes to people specific problems

7. Dec 14, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge

That sounds like the diff bearing issue I have.

8. Dec 14, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    I was going to start a Vibe story post like this one, but after seeing this. It's perfect for it.. here goes.

I have an 09 4x4 TRD with stock wheels. I installed OME 886 coils with spacers to start - Truck drove pretty well but the steering wheel was jumpy and I could feel every crack in the road.. at high speed there was some minor vibes.. but it was expected.

ADDED TSB AAL - Back end went way up in the air.. HORRIBLE vibes.. the gas pedal vibrated so much it would make my foot kind of number on the long drives. it had a Shudder from stop to start at 5-10mph and really bad when coming to a complete stop. Worst felt when in bumper to bumper traffic.

CARRIER BEARING DROP - Seen here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...-vibration-fix-write-up-may-work-you-too.html got the idea this would fix some of my vibes.. IT DID! worked great for the majority of my Driveline vibes.. although my hands were going numb driving 60-65 be this time. high recommend this one!

LR UCA INSTALLED - Wow.. this helped a lot too, but still not perfect.. read about it here - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/40470-ucas-alignment.html After I put them in, it was a round and round with the Alighnment place to get it perfect.. once it was.. worked great! but still had vibrations..

TIRE BALANCE - truck only has 7000 miles on it, so I never considered this but after reading more online.. I said what the heck. Read here: http://www.gadgetonline.com/Vibratio...duction:%C2%A0 went to two discount tires to get this done right.. again, HUGE difference when done right. but there was still some vibration.. very slight. but I am a perfectionist when it comes to what I feel in the steering wheel.

REMOVE FRONT 10MM OME SPACERS - I did this last weekend with yotarob2005 and it was the final piece of the puzzle. Apparently, i had more than 3" of lift in the front with the 886 coils (STOCK 4WD FRONT END) and the spacer.. took the 10mm spacer out and my CV boot angles were nicer to my liking and the Vibe just Disappeared.. I still have a little more than 3" in the front.. but I was closer to 4" with the spacer. FYI - I have done no Diff Drop because of what I read about it on here.. seemed to me more people noticed Clunking after doing it although certainly not all.

it was long winded, but hopfully it will help someone out there..

-Sam

9. Dec 14, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    I have a 2009 with toytec 3in ult lift. When the lift was installed we did not use the shims. I had vibes from 0-20 and it sucked. I did the CB drop that helped but it was still not perfect. I went back to dave and he installed the shims and now I dont have ant vibes at all and I drive my truck over 100mph alot. Its rock solid from 0-100

10. Dec 15, 2009 at 9:28 AM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Icons set at 2.25" front and 1.5" Icon aal in the rear. Very slight vibration during takeoff, from about 5-10 miles. Waiting on the Carrier bearing drop bracket to see if it will fix the vibration.

11. Dec 15, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    ^ the drop braket worked for me for that speed vibs now as to the rest of the vibs lol

12. Dec 15, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    magneticnick

magneticnick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Orange, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab TRD Sport
    None Yet
    ^^^^My issues are the same as the two mentioned above. I have the fully adjustable 5100's (just like a coil over) and I have them set at about 2.25 with nothing in the rear end to lift.

I get a vibration off the line.

Do you guys thing a carrier bering drop kit would help? I was thinking either that or some small shims.

Who makes the C/B Drop kits and how much are they.

13. Dec 15, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    The Parts Whore

The Parts Whore Slinging parts since '03

Member:
    Wait wait...Toyota didn't design and build the truck to have a 3" lift, you modified your truck and blame it on them when a problem pop up? :p

14. Dec 15, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    Haven't trued the shims, but the CB drop took care of most of the vibes from Stop. There is still a very slight shudder that I am think the Shims might take care of.. will look into it and report.

15. Dec 15, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Thats where I just bought mine. I'm sure you could make one pretty easily too.

16. Dec 15, 2009 at 1:31 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    Made my own, way to easy to waste 20 bucks on (after shipping)

17. Dec 17, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    tarandus

tarandus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montucky
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD DCab OR Supah White
    ProComp/Headstrong leveling kit, AllPro rock sliders.
    What is the difference b/w shims and CB drop? Anyone have photos of the shims ~ do they go in the same place? Trying to solve my 35-40 mph vibes after OME leveling kit...

18. Dec 17, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    where do you feel it? in the steering wheel, or your seat? What leveling kit? I must have missed that one.

19. Dec 17, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    a little weight in back does make a difference. Originally when I had vibes, I drove around with a bag of mulch in the back.. it sounds silly, but it was enough weight to improve the angle of the drive shaft. After I did the CB drop, it seemed to not need the mulch bag.

20. Dec 17, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    i feel alot of vib in my seat

Products Discussed in

To Top