1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" Daystar lift Kit

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by _Jiggy_, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Dec 26, 2009 at 7:42 AM
    _Jiggy_

_Jiggy_ [OP] New Member

Member:
    Black Push Bar, Side Steps, PIAA Lights, Tail light guards , 3in rear & front lift, custom rear shock extension, tonneau cover
    Well I'm new to this site and I saw that so many ppl had questions on lift kits. This is what I did, in case it might help someone. It took me at least a month to decide on the kit. I didn't know if I was going for blocks or new shocks. With the blocks, I gain extra clearance and I keep the same suspension travel, so my new Bilstein would maintain their original ride b ut not the back since they will be stretched. But I was worried I would have issues with the alignment. With the new shocks, I gain clearance and travel but the ride may not be the same, depending on the shocks and it is more expensive. Since my truck is brand new (2009) and I don't do major off-roading, I opted for the blocks.

I purchased a Daystar 3" lift kit with AAL at the rear. This kit would level the truck and I didn't want that, I wanted to keep my angle so I bought a 2.5" block for the rear. The kit was 190$ and the block was 65$. I had to have some u-bolts made and that ran me another 60$. Since the front strut travel remained the same but the rear doesn't, I had made a custom strut extension in the back so the strut wouldn't be stretched and act differently. I'm a mechanical engineer and I know how the strut is important, specially the preload and the travel since everything else is fixed.

Me and my buddy were able to install it in less than 5hrs. All w needed was 1 jack, 2 candles, set of wrench and rachet and the most indispensable tool...the impact! I had to make a bracket for the rear breake plate and it was achieved with a cheap piece of steel and painted it black.

The only issue with the 3" lift kit with blocks is the front alignment. I brought it to a specialized garage. They are often doing aligment on jacked trucks. They did their best but the front left caster was at the maximum adjustment and is not in the specs but close enough. Sometimes the truck pulls a bit on the left upon breaking but nothing serious.

I didn't lower the front diff because then It would be the lowest part of the truck and would perhaps get it. I rather change my cv joints in a few years but the angle is not bad at all.

I have attached a few pics to show the results. I wanted to show the steps but I forgot to charge the camera before doint it.

IMGP3511.jpg
    IMGP3512.jpg
    IMGP3513.jpg
    IMGP3516.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top