1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much lift for whoops?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by rzimm001, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Dec 31, 2009 at 4:01 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    I have a mid-travel front end on my 08 taco access cab with Icon 2.5 coilovers and Chaos UCA. Rear is Icon three leaf add a leaf and icon 2.0 w/ resi.

I want to know how much pre load is optimal for hitting mid size whoops. I am pre loaded to 2.5" and it seems a little stiff. My buddy runs a mid travel front on his ranger and he can hit some pretty crazy whoops. His Control arms are just barely above parellel. What do you guys think? Drop the pre load some? Thanks!!

2. Dec 31, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    If you have a lifetime alignment thing it can't hurt to experiment with different preloads.

Hopefully somebody could elaborate but I think bump stops could help as well for the hard landings at least.

3. Dec 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    I run at 2.5 and it seems a little stiff. My truck goes flying. I wish I had long travel.

4. Dec 31, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    I know from looking at professional setups that the best scenario is having an equal amount of up travel vs. down travel. The negative is that you'll be hitting the bumps more. Positive is you'll be hitting the bumps as much as you'll be hitting full droop. I think our trucks with 2.5" lift have only two inches of droop travel and seven inches up travel.

5. Jan 1, 2010 at 2:17 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:

What I'm attempting to explain is that our shocks are not too stiff but because the lower control arms are at such an extreme downward angle in order to accomplish lift, the by product is a stiffer ride. As the angle of the control arm moves from horizontal closer to the vertical axis, an impact from a bump will put more force into the chassis of the truck and less force into the shock. Basic physics really if you sketch it out on paper. This is where a lift spindle comes into play because you can set your control arms back closer to level and yet you still have lift because you've moved wheel hub lower.

Unfortunately at the moment I don't have the money for a spindle :( When the money becomes available I think this will be my next upgrade.

6. Jan 1, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    if ur hittin whoops, take the money you would drop on the lift spindle and save up for LT...

7. Jan 4, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    magneticnick

magneticnick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Orange, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab TRD Sport
    None Yet

X2

8. Jan 4, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    x3

9. Jan 4, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Make sure you realize Long Travel will cost you 15k minimum.

But dam...do it. Then give me a ride in it.

10. Jan 4, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    what kind of long tavel are yo talking about? you can get a basic bolt on LT front kit for like 4k plus 300 for fenders and the rear will be around 2k if that much..

11. Jan 4, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I think average price for rear is 4-5k. Engage's LT was $4,800 after everything is said and done. Add the race spindle to that (bc stock spindles are tiny) and theres another 1,000 after install. Add lights for your front bar, spare tire carriers, caging the engine, race radio, caging the inside, bump stops, secondary shocks, bigger tires, etc. Im a fan of doing things right and not half assing things. I hope you didnt take my comment as discouragement at all, cuz thats not what I intended it to be. I was in the process of retrieving info for LT myself only a few weeks ago. LT is awesome, if you can do it go for it. :thumbsup:

12. Jan 4, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    yea your talking a race truck/trophy truck...which would be badf*ckingAss!
    I was just talking about a bolt on kit, which for a DD and weekend warrior would be plenty

13. Jan 4, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    race trucks are way more than 15k. MJP2 has spent well over 100k on his race truck. Trophy trucks can easily hit a million dollars after all is said and done. I was just referring to a properly built long travel. Even if you just do BASIC front LT and rear LT, its 10k.

14. Jan 4, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Holy shit. Those jack stands hold some serious dough.:p

Products Discussed in

To Top