1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Needing clarification for a tired mind.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Chris_, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Jan 2, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    Chris_

Chris_ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Toytec ULK, LR UCAs, Spider Trax Spacers, Stubb's HD-SKO sliders coated with Line-X, Grillecraft MX series grille
    I just ordered the Toytec ULK today and have a set of LR UCAs sitting in my closet. I have skimmed through the last 10 pages and to quite honest, after a 24hour shift at work, my brain cannot function properly so mybe i missed something on them. I am curious as to the particular reason most people here on the forums are going with 17-18" wheels instead of 16"?
    I have brand new (about 3 months old) 265/75/r16 Terra Grapplers on my stock rims right now because I couldnt put off getting new tires without putting myself in danger. Reading mixed things about whether I need to get wheel spacers or not if I stick with the 16" wheels. Trying to keep my costs to minimum right now and any help or advice would be wonderful!

Happy new year btw :p

2. Jan 2, 2010 at 9:53 PM
    jr114

jr114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Ext travel CO, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, Icon RR rear w 2"aal.
    What rim are you planning on running? Stock? From my understanding, there are aftermarket 16" wheels out there that will not fit, although stock is 16". Reason being, the stock wheels have a section on the inside of the wheel that is cut out to make room for the brake caliper, and some of the aftermarket ones do not. So to make it simple, some aftermarket wheels wont clear the calipers. Main reason why I just went up to a 17". This is info I gathered while looking for new wheels. Not claiming it to be 100% the only reason.

just did some more looking around, and it seems that the majority of people on here have not had any issues running aftermarket 16". just try a test fit.

3. Jan 3, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    Chris_

Chris_ [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Toytec ULK, LR UCAs, Spider Trax Spacers, Stubb's HD-SKO sliders coated with Line-X, Grillecraft MX series grille
    I am planning on running the stock rims until these new tires wear down on tread. Only reason I will be getting new rims is if I have an issue with rubbing once I get the lift installed. Trying to avoid any $1,000+ expendetures so soon :p
    Thanks again for your time.

Products Discussed in

To Top