Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Opinion of the Bilstein 5100's

Old 03-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Opinion of the Bilstein 5100's

I just had the TSB done and it raised the rear of the truck approx. .75". It is now about 2" higher in the rear than the front measured from the ground to the fender openings. My question is what do the 5100's ride like compared to the stock yellow heavy duty Bilstein's that come on the TRD trucks. The middle setting on the 5100's ought to about level out my truck. Anybody already done this setup? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, ndcouch just did this. He even started a thread today without any pictures. I think he set his at 2.5".

Oh, and did you give me negative rep?

Edit: Here's the link http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ks-pissed.html
Old 03-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Yeah, ndcouch just did this. He even started a thread today without any pictures. I think he set his at 2.5".

Oh, and did you give me negative rep?

Edit: Here's the link http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ks-pissed.html
- rep? not that I know of? Thanks for the link. I did a search and this didn't come up.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
OK. Nate is not known for his descriptive subject lines. Superlamp? Powerwagon?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
OK. Nate is not known for his descriptive subject lines. Superlamp? Powerwagon?

this is the same link.....works for me.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ks-pissed.html

yeah....couch doesnt like to be too descriptive!! ah,hell....neither do i really!!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:19 AM   #6

Found these 5100's on E-Bay. $269 for front and rear. The front have 4 height adjustments instead of 3. Says they are custom made by Bilstein for Race Car Dynamics. Good feedback, anybody know about Downsouth Motorsports? To good to be true usually is not good!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=280210152068
Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Hey just chiming in here. thats a good price for all 4 springs. i wish i had sprung for the extra cash and gotten rear shocks too. the front feels much mroe solid than the rear now. My ride is still good but the front end is stiffer than it was since the coils are compressed more. if you use the .85 or 1.75 setting the spring wont be so compressed so your ride will be softer. i'm very impressed with the 5100's. i definately recomend them. I wonder why it is that your back end didnt get raised any higher from teh tsb?

as far as my titles.... i figure everyone has read plenty of stuff on the 5100's so if i just put that it will get skipped over. so i have to put something up that will make people open it, then by the time they realize what its about they will just be like "oh well, i have already opened it and read hte first sentance, might as well keep going". Im sneaky like a fox
Old 03-19-2008, 08:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Hey just chiming in here. thats a good price for all 4 springs. i wish i had sprung for the extra cash and gotten rear shocks too. the front feels much mroe solid than the rear now. My ride is still good but the front end is stiffer than it was since the coils are compressed more. if you use the .85 or 1.75 setting the spring wont be so compressed so your ride will be softer. i'm very impressed with the 5100's. i definately recomend them. I wonder why it is that your back end didnt get raised any higher from teh tsb?
So your 5100's have four height positions? Bilsteins websight just shows three and that e-bay link shows different part #'s from Bilstein's #'s as well? Where did you get yours? Seems Performance and just a few others have and they are much higher than the e-bay offers. Thanks
Old 03-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #9
mrbjr is on a distinguished road
mrbjr's Tacoma Gallery
Got mine from DownSouth and Sonny is great to deal with and has fast free shipping. Have mine set at .85 front and the TSB in rear, rides great and just a tad higher in the rear..
Old 03-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbjr View Post
Got mine from DownSouth and Sonny is great to deal with and has fast free shipping. Have mine set at .85 front and the TSB in rear, rides great and just a tad higher in the rear..
Thanks for the info. May call and see what kind of deal on just the front to level for now. Hard to justify replaceing Bilsteins with just 1000 miles on them all the way around. Also what kind of lift did the TSB raise the rear of your truck and I guess all 5100's have 4 positions of lift?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
mrbjr is on a distinguished road
mrbjr's Tacoma Gallery
Seems as if most people have different amounts of rear lift, not sure why. So once you get it done you will need to judge for yourself and raise accordingly. The settings are... Normal, .85, 1.75 and 2.5 inches respectively. Mine at .85 worked out for ride and looks IMO
Old 03-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
So your 5100's have four height positions? Bilsteins websight just shows three and that e-bay link shows different part #'s from Bilstein's #'s as well? Where did you get yours? Seems Performance and just a few others have and they are much higher than the e-bay offers. Thanks
I got mine from Wheelersoffroad. i paid including shipping it was $200. they technically have 4 settings, stock height, .85, 1.75 and 2.5. to find out how much you want to lift them, just put a jack under the front end, and jack it up to each setting then get back and see how it looks. then jack it up and look again, then decide which height you liked best.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbjr View Post

Mine ought to be in next week from DownSouth. Ordered all 4 to the door for $259. Hoping that setting the front to 1.75" will leave the rear approx. .5" higher. I'll post results. Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #14
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
you mean this one? albums/dd172/sicktaco727/29740025.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #15
XxMalfunktionxX is on a distinguished road

XxMalfunktionxX's Tacoma Gallery
I just got some new 5100's in the front of my taco..I blew out my driver side yellow bilstein on the trail a couple weeks ago..ended up replacing the stocks with the 5100's and I added a Readylift Spacer that was on my stock struts..rides good..im at about 3 in. lift in front now and I gotta 1 in. block in the back..everything runs good out on the trail..i noticed that I have a lot less fade..shocks seem to do the trick and not hurt the wallet too bad..

Im gonna be interested in getting the Camburg setup soon here for my truck..i wanna do more..so im gonna be loooking into that..
Old 03-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #16
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Cool

Ok must ask this question....

I have Ready lift installed. But, have started to really think about running a full set of 5100's. The ride quality seems to be worth the install. But, did not want to take lost on Ready Lift. So, if XxMalfunktionxX is running 5100's with ready lift, what hights are we talking about?

I already have just about 2.25" level. If I get the 5100 set i can raise the back 1" and front 2.5" and with the Ready lift go even up to 3" like toyo tech.,

What am I missing. Want to get this set up soon, can the suspension gurus help. Do not want to start messing with gears and other components. Just want maximum hieght ride capable for least amount exspense..

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #17

get the 5100s and throw your readylift on - you will be golden. they ride like a gem in the street and work like a champ in the dirt and on the trails..no regearing or anything else..you will be at the max just about though and you wont be able to do much else unless you start getting serious and changing out stuff..you should sit at just about 3in. in front..thats where mine sits..
Old 03-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #18

by the way i got my 5100s from 4 wheel parts for about 200 bucks for the front..maybe thats costly or not..just throwing that out there..dont have 4wp install it though..rip off!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #19
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMalfunktionxX View Post
by the way i got my 5100s from 4 wheel parts for about 200 bucks for the front..maybe thats costly or not..just throwing that out there..dont have 4wp install it though..rip off!
Thanks...

Yeah 4Wheel Parts is worse than the dealer. $110.00 per hour, and they take their sweet time...

I will most likely hook theese up. Im just happy to be able to lift it a tad bit higher without going to a full suspension workup. And the TSB is just looking like a pain for me. Couple sites I've seen says the rear shocks can be raised. So that, plus better shocks should improve total ride quality on and off road. Not to worried about hauling as of now...
Old 03-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #20

nd's Tacoma Gallery
just so you know. it is HIGHLY recomended that you NOT use spacers combined with the 5100's unless you run the shocks at stock height. Also, Roxspin, i'm not sure if i read your post correctly or not, but you mentioned using the 5100's to raise the back end about an inch. the front 5100's are adjustable. the rear 5100's are stock size only and cannot be adjusted for added height. just FYI