Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Carrier bearing drop and Vibrations

Old 01-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Taco love in East Van
Canadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura aboutCanadianboy has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Canadianboy's Tacoma Gallery
Carrier bearing drop and Vibrations

I just wanted to make a post about my lift, vibrations and what worked for me to fix the vibrations.

So, I have a 09 Double cab Sport 4x4 with automatic.

For a lift I have a stage 3 Icon lift. Up front I have the Icons set at 2.25" and the 1.5" aal in the rear.

Right after I installed the lift I had a noticeable vibration around the 5 - 10 mph range that I could feel through the floor board.

I ordered the Carrier Bearing drop kit from Toytec, and this 100% fixed my driveline vibrations. I have no vibrations now and
the truck drives like a dream.

I think the more you lift the rear of the truck, the more noticeable the vibration will be and the more difficult to remedy.

Anyways, thats what worked for me. Cheers.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
yea your telling me....i put 5100's on 2.5 up front and drove like 10 days with no vibes...then i added the 2" aal in the rear and now it sucks....bad vibes around 20-25 40-45.....did the carrier bearing drop and nothing.....im gonna try the axle shims next.....
anyone else have any solutions???????
oh and its a 09 or
Old 01-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Work In Progress
nolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Weapons Director
nolanspawn's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to nolanspawn
I had vibrations even after the carrier bearing drop kit from Toytec. So I ordered some shims 3 degree axel shims and it fixed the problem for good.

My setup. Icons RR all around, TC UCA, allpro 3" leaf pack.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

where the axle shims your ordered from toyotech?
dam i got them same rims.....i lovin it
same n fab bars i have as well.....
dam i need your hood
Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
Work In Progress
nolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Weapons Director
nolanspawn's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to nolanspawn
Yep, they were Toytec
Old 03-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
OH9 is on a distinguished road
OH9's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 09 dbl cab auto but stock and I have the same vibrations.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
BIG DADDY

Wow old thread...........
Old 10-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
05bctacoma is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Keith
05bctacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2005, DC, 6' box, SR5, 4X4. I purchased the truck Dec '04, now has 151,000 kms and have only replaced both front wheel bearings (@ $1200 / side ouch). Now that the stock tires are finally worn out (I run 2 sets for the seasons) I decided to level it out and rise it an inch... So I bought a 3" lift (1" rear spacer) with a differential drop. I also picked up a complete TRD suspension from a friend who upgraded with an OME kit.... mine had the soft springs...missed the recall.

I installed the kit over a 2 day period. I Put the new rear leafs (1' spacers) TRD shocks and drove it to work for the next four days. I did not noticed any difference in the handling.

Now the problem.... I installed the new TRD shocks and springs with the front lift (top of the strut type)....and installed the differential drop. The install was easy enough and though that I had missed out for 6 years. Until I took it out of the driveway... then the regrets begin.

I get a vibration at 60km/hr. So I put the truck in 4WD and it disappears? I switch back to 2WD and it comes back??

I google it and lear of the OME 1/4 CB drop kit. I install that and still the same. I try a piece of 3/4 steel stock as a spacer and get the same. I remove the diff drop and still the same.

I'm going to try 1" and then 1&1/2" for a solution!!!

I have not tried shims yet!!!

My biggest question is .... is it a differential concern???

Should I remove the lift and go with the TRD upgrade alone... and see what happens?

It does not seem right as there are a lot of Tacomas lifted and this model is into it's 7th year!

I've put 300kms since the lift. I have supported the rear axel on stands and ran it in gear up to 80km/hr with no noise??? I lifted the front and spun the front tires by hand and got no noise nor felt anything odd? I do not have 4 axel stands to try 4X4 while in the air???

I'm at a loss!!!

Please anyone restore my faith in a Toyota... I love my Tacoma.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
upcountry is on a distinguished road
upcountry's Tacoma Gallery
Try out the Beef Taco sollution:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ring-drop.html
Old 11-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #10

http://www.streetacos.com/Products.html

Carrier Bearing Drop 2005 & newer Tacoma 4" & lower REAR lift

Drops the bearing 1-1/2" to kill drive line vibrations on trucks 4" and lower in the rear. The top tower utilizes a factory hole in the cross member above to help rid the area of unwanted flex.

Quality hardware included and painted black.

Bracket $62.21
Shipping $16.00
Total $78.21
Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbolt View Post
This is the best thread I've found on troubleshooting the problem; post #27 in particular.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tion-free.html

Splitbolt-

Thanks for posting that thread. Really good info. I appreciate you sharing it! I ordered up one of the digital box bevels, now on to the install of the Allpro expedition leaf packs!