1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blocks or Leafs?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by timberfire04, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Mar 19, 2008 at 10:00 AM
    timberfire04

timberfire04 [OP] Dirt Everyday.

Member:
    Eugene, Oregon for now..
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7l I4 SR5 4x4
    I want a functional lift say around 2"-4". i have a ton of questions about lifts and the different types i've seen while browsing these forums.

first off, i want to say a few things about what im lookin for. i want a lift that allows me to go up in tire size. i plan on using my truck not only for mudding but also as a daily driver. performance is big. i'd like to get a lift and still be able to corner the same. i want less than a 6" lift. i will probably be installing this lift myself. with that being said what am i looking at as far as cost? i have a budget of $800 MAX but i'd like to go cheaper by a lot.

first i'd like your guys input... for those of you that have lifts already, how high is your lift? what type is it? do you like the height? how does it perform both off-road and on road? any problems or things to stay away from? cost?!?

more questions! what are the major differences between adding leafs and adding blocks? as far as articulation, handling around corners, etc.

are adjustable lifts affordable and reliable?
    do you folks recommend any particular lift verses another? which brands seems to be problem free? I already assume so, but will adjusting a variable lift throw my alignment off? if so by a lot or a little?
    how high would i need to lift my truck to comfortably fit 33's?
    whats the deal with leveling my truck? the front end is signifigantly lower than the rear.

any help, ideas, tips, etc would be much appreciated.

2. Mar 19, 2008 at 12:01 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    See these related topics
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/6906-blocks-vs-add-leaf.html

Do not get blocks if you do any offroading!

There are sooooo many different options for lifts.
    If you look up at the right side blue bar - you'll see *Search*. If you type in a variety of different words in relation to lifts and lift kits - you'll find all sorts of information. Here's some related and useful info:
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189215&highlight=lift+kits

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184562&highlight=lift+kits

3. Mar 19, 2008 at 4:50 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    I`m no expert on lifts, but I have had some bad experience with blocks.I never had one come out but could definately feel the rear-end squirming around,like janster was talking about in another related post. This squirming even got so bad that it was noticable when turning a corner on pavement. I think because the rear had a detroit locker it made worse.

4. Mar 21, 2008 at 1:50 PM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    How big is your wallet?

Once you decide on that, then we can offer advice on the best setup.

You can get a 3" lift as cheap as $300, or you could spend upwards of $3000...I chose the $3000 route, because I wanted it done right!

Donahoe's - $1200
    TC UCA's - $600
    Dakars - $450
    U-bolt flip kit - $35
    SS brake lines - $65
    5125's - $225
    TW drive shaft -$450

And then there are rims/tires/alignment for another $1500

5. Mar 22, 2008 at 9:06 PM
    timberfire04

timberfire04 [OP] Dirt Everyday.

Member:
    Eugene, Oregon for now..
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7l I4 SR5 4x4
    well i want a lift that will perform well. performance and durability are what im looking for, so blocks are gone...
    as far as my budget, i dont really know yet. im thinking somewhere around 1500 or so.. depends on how good the fire season is this year.
    i have been looking at northwest off-road http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/suspension_intro.html
    has anyone had any experience with them?
    im thinking i want to go with a coilover lift in the front with maybe a new leaf pack and longer shackles in the rear..
    what about body spacers? i was thinking of getting coil overs and having a 1" body spacer put on the front and back.

Products Discussed in

To Top